US s50/52 vs m30b35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US s50/52 vs m30b35

Okay maybe this has been asked before, but I searched and could not find anything. I want to do a swap and I'm wondering which motor is would be better. I know the m30 can be had much cheaper, but the cost of the engine is not a big deal. How does the torque compare on each motor? Does the s5x pull as hard as the m30?

S52 ftw
    "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

S5x pulls harder than the M30 but does not have quite the same low-end. S5x will still have good torque though, and especially an OBD1 S52 will pull harder up top.

Comment

/\/\/\ what he said!!! Plus odb1 s52's are hmmmm mmmm funn
        "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

^so are m30's.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I would like to have run my old S52 E30 against a similarly prepped M30 car. My car was as fast as C6 Vettes and a good bit faster than Subie STI's and those Mitsu Evo things*. The S52 is a rocking engine for the E30 chassis. That being said, I haven't driven an M30 E30 to compare, unfortunately.

*I am not Johnny Streetracer and I just described these events for the simplicity-- they deliver the message.

Comment

If money is not an object then obd1 s52, plus do some bolt ons to it :) B35 pulls hard and is damn quick in an e30, but s52 will probably pull even faster converted to obd1 with some bolt ons. Or just get an s54 as they are dropping in price :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Once you factor in cost - the m30 becomes more attractive. Oh yea, and you kids have fun with that 24 valve rebuild you'll need to do soon...That's gonna to hurt.

Comment

S54s are getting cheaper, S52s are getting even cheaper.
                  Why bother rebuilding?
                  They are as disposable as the donor chassis they come from.
                  My E36 M3 lives in fear of the next $500 E30 I get.:D

m

Comment

why does the OBD1 s52 pull harder than the OBD2? Is there a way to make the s52 match the m30's torque? Will an m30 or s52 be faster off the line since the s50b30 has 240hp/225ft-lbs and the m30 with 208hp/225ft-lbs but from what I understand the m30 makes that power sooner? Also the s52b32 has added torque (240) so will that be faster than the m30 no questions asked? And finally (sorry about all the Q's) which motor is easier to make more power from, m30 or s52b32, from what I understand both can reach 300bhp n/a?

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                      why does the OBD1 s52 pull harder than the OBD2? Is there a way to make the s52 match the m30's torque? Will an m30 or s52 be faster off the line since the s50b30 has 240hp/225ft-lbs and the m30 with 208hp/225ft-lbs but from what I understand the m30 makes that power sooner? Also the s52b32 has added torque (240) so will that be faster than the m30 no questions asked? And finally (sorry about all the Q's) which motor is easier to make more power from, m30 or s52b32, from what I understand both can reach 300bhp n/a?
                      You ask many questions with no capitalization or punctuation or line breaks, so its very hard to read and understand.

The OBD1 S52 "pulls harder" than OBD2 because, when people convert to OBD1, they put on the OBD1 intake manifold with much larger intake runners. This gives a noticeable boost in power to the motor. You can do this without converting the whole system to OBD1, but most people do when putting in an e30, because its a little simpler.

There are really too many variables to answer your bench-racing questions about m30 vs s52. Like condition of the engine, modifications, transmission, rear gear ratio, wheels, tires, etc, etc. You can work out that stuff on your own with a little research.

If money is no object, Im sure you can take an s52 to higher power levels than an m30, but if money is no object, why aren't you swapping in an s54 or euro s50? A rebuilt s52 with high-compression pistons, cams, and maybe some head work could probably hit 300whp with a good tune though. With the money it's going to cost to buy and build that s52, you could buy an s54 or euro motor, but it may well need a rebuild too;)

Of course all this is kind of a moot point if you're not gonna "build" the motor. I just kind of got that impression. Stock for stock with a large budget, my choices would be in this order: s54, US s52/s50, m30. That's just me though. And GeorgeGraves is right about 24v rebuilds costing more than the old 12v motors, especially euro 24v/s54.

Man this is such a broad subject. Deciding what motor to swap in is really something a person has to decide for themselves.
                      Last edited by lennon; 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

The M30 is a completely different animal than an S5x. You've got to decide whether you want an expensive screamer or a cheap torque monster that will run forever, no matter what. Forget all this bench racing BS.

And please, if you do an M30 don't do a B34. I have no idea why people swap these motors in while B35s are just as cheap and easy with another 20hp.

Comment

The S52 is significantly faster. The M30 will FEEL almost as fast, because peak acceleration will be the same or better, but the time slips will show the S5x as a superior powerplant.
                          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

^No - the m30 will feel faster. It's the TQ off the line that really kicks you in the ass.

Comment

i had a hopped up b35 in my e28 in highschool, and it felt faster than my s50 e30 does now. but thats probably because i was 16 and i barely remember the car haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X