Best PNW DD for under 5k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best PNW DD for under 5k?

I gotta get rid of my vert. My commute is not kind to it, this past snow storm proved it to be incapable in those conditions - and I can not have children in a convertible.
    I need something that's good for the mountain, coast, hikes, snow, gravel, etc. I'd prefer a wagon but 4 doors are a must.

At this moment I'm thinking about e39s, e38s, a 325ix sedan, audi with quattro, a 2000's ish forester - or saying fuck it and buying a new subaru.

Help keep me sane. You guys have lived up here for a while - what's a versatile, family friendly car?
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

E34 525i or E36 325i.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

An e39 takes my vote mine has been with me about 8 years and extremely reliable plenty of space and great on gas. It has plenty of power, is fun to drive and super easy to maintain.
      Originally posted by bmwm42
      PNW vulture pm me for parts
      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

A 4 Door MKIV Golf TDI, or B5.5 Passat Wagon TDI.

Comment

Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
          A 4 Door MKIV Golf TDI, or Passat B5.5 TDI.
          LOL wut
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

He asked what the best DD for hauling a family was. Which has some implied facts that should be taken into consideration.

It must be reliable
            It must be a car that you don't care about the kids trashing the interior, because they will
            As a DD it must get the best gas mileage possible.
            As he said, it must do well in the snow.

Here is where you put your passion aside, and make a rational decision. A diesel VW is the best bet.

Keep the bimmer though. The twisty roads on the weekends are going to call your name.

Comment

Adam some people have no clue what a dd is suppose to be.
              Originally posted by bmwm42
              PNW vulture pm me for parts
              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

My daily for the past 6 years has been my e38 love her one of the best cars I've ever owned

-His-
                87 e30 325i
                87 e24 m6
                05 e83 x3
                94 e32 740i 5spd
                -Hers-
                89 e30 325i
                18 f48 x1

Comment

My daily and backup family hauler:

My Wife's daily, and the default family hauler:

Because of those cars, the E21 can be free for fun shit.

Comment

I just went through the same issue with trying to drive my e30 in the winter. I ended up snagging a fantastic deal on a 98 Subaru legacy, great maintenance records for about a grand.

I got to keep my e30, and can let the subaru deal with the elements.
                    I like cats.

Comment

I can see where Adam is going with that, but the TDI timing belt service is super expensive. Also, in order to make a simple repair to the cooling system or even change the accessory drive belts on that Passat the entire front of the car has to come off.

Subies have expensive issues too. I'd go *gulp* Toyota or Honda.

Comment

Honestly, under 5k you're going to get a beat Subaru. Maybe land a forester with some miles and have to drop $300 + for a timing belt for piece of mind.

I would go with a newer (ish) Subaru for the PNW. The AWD will seem unnecessary all the way up until it snows the 2" we get a year and every driver on the road is stuck in a ditch.

I just sold my '02 WRX and it was amazing in the elements. Really sold me on having one again at a later date but I couldn't pass up the offer I got on it. Especially since it had 200,000 + miles.

How many "family" are we talking? 1 kiddo?
                        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                          Honestly, under 5k you're going to get a beat Subaru. Maybe land a forester with some miles and have to drop $300 + for a timing belt for piece of mind.

I would go with a newer (ish) Subaru for the PNW. The AWD will seem unnecessary all the way up until it snows the 2" we get a year and every driver on the road is stuck in a ditch.

I just sold my '02 WRX and it was amazing in the elements. Really sold me on having one again at a later date but I couldn't pass up the offer I got on it. Especially since it had 200,000 + miles.

How many "family" are we talking? 1 kiddo?
                          A subaru timing belt is $40 any where. Go to autozone

A sohc subaru timing belt is easier to change than a M20 timing belt. If you bought a DOHC subaru I feel bad for you.

Water Pump and idler set shouldn't be over 80bux

If you get raped by boxer engine hipster tax might as well buy a cargo bike also for mor tax

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Just buy a honda, the whole point of a dd is something that is reliable. Good mpgs, and easy to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
                              Just buy a honda, the whole point of a dd is something that is reliable. Good mpgs, and easy to fix.

Something in the 2000-2006 Honda Civic range.

Comment

Working...
                              X