Dry sump systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was a little assertive, no doubt this was his downfall
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Dry sump system works great in my car. Probably got about right at $1,000 in all of it. Not all that hard to do and worth every penny to me.
      sigpic

Comment

TobyB

Could you expand a little more on the accusump. I have a 3 quart that I picked up and plan to plumb into the system. I feel like I understand what you're saying for the most part but any advice would be appreciated.
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

If you can afford it, get the EPC valve for it.
          sigpic

Comment

Dry sump system works great in my car. Probably got about right at $1,000 in all of it.
            Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Yes, the race car I bought came with the valve, and it's brilliant- it lets the
            sump dump at full rate, but refill more slowly. Unless you are running a circle,
            the refill rate is fast enough.
            The track car had a ball valve, and it was OK, but it took a lot longer for
            pressure to jump back up to 55psi (nominally 'full' pressure)

IF, I'm guessing you have figured out you need a 1- way valve IN the oil circuit,
            so that the sump only pressurizes the engine, not the pump. Beyond that, the valve
            is worth it (yes, it's expensive) and then you just tee the Accusump in after the valve.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Looks like I deleted engine bay pics off my phone, I'll have to take some.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, ok, that just happened.

It kills me that I can spend $20k on a 'built to the limit' m10
                and a crate motor and all the other crap you need can be had
                for $10k- and makes 2x the hp, 3x the torque, and lasts 5 seasons longer.
                It's enough to make you go roundy- round. Until you do, and then the
                WINNERS are spending $100k, building it 4x a season, AND have nicer tow rigs
                than my house...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

^^ That looks like it's still using a wet sump pan?
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Wet sump pan, has a flat bottom though inside with the oil pick ups in it. The "sump" could have been cut off but I just didn't do it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
                      Wet sump pan, has a flat bottom though inside with the oil pick ups in it. The "sump" could have been cut off but I just didn't do it.

So you have a wet sump and a dry sump tank ? Are the stock oil pumps shitty or was there another reason for doing what you did?
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Hmm, benefit of stable oil supply, without the added benefit of better scavenging?

t

Comment

There's nothing wet sump about it, it just appears that way from the outside. It's a 3 stage dry sump system. And yes the compromises you have to make to get a 302 in an E30 do not work out on track. I have the scattered bottom end of my first engine to prove it.
                          sigpic

Comment

3 scavenge sections, 1 pressure, right?

So you have a scavenge tray inside what looks
                            like a wet pan. I can't see- where does scavenge 3 pick up?

I spent money instead of time and got the ARE m10pan. It solved many
                            problems, but created a big hole in the old wallet.

t

Comment

2 scavenge in the pan, 1 pressure. Inside the pan it's a flat tray with the two oil pickups and a windage screen.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
                                If you can afford it, get the EPC valve for it.
                                I can't run the EPC in the majority of the class I qualify for.
                                sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Working...
                                X