(luke) Best relays for keyless/alarm install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(luke) Best relays for keyless/alarm install

Looking to eventually control a lot of function (windows/lock/windows/light/sunroof/anything electrical...). For now I'll be using a (free) clifford I have (untill I can find an alarm that can handle a lot of functions)

I want to set up a row of relays in the trunk or under the dash for all the functions.

What is the best relays to use for this type of application? bosch? Radio shack?

Is there a board that all the relays would plug into to make a tidy set up? (I'm almost thinking of modding a e30 fuse box to hold them in the trunk!)

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

I used to be really picky about relays. Bosch or Potter/Brumfield only. Hella if I get really desperate....

But now, all of those manufacturers make their relays in China (except Bosch, but no one carries them) and the damn Chinese realys are excellent quality for less than 1/3rd the price...so I buy my relays from AAMP of America.

As far as a "rack" or some other spiffy mounting system, I usually make mine all nice on the wiring end, but Ijast make a long rack by using double sided foam tape to attach the relays together, then wrap Super33 electrical tape lengthwise around the group.

You can get Super33 at WalMart, about $2.50 a roll. If you have not used it, it is far and away the best electrical tape known to man.

As far as relays go, call your local car stereo shops. Ask if they would be willing to part with relays en masse. I generally order 24 at a time, bi-weekly. If someone called and asked me for 12 relays, I would special order them...for about $3 each Try for $2.50, what the hell.

If you want to be really sexy about it, take the covers off of each relay, cut little slits in a piece of 1/8" ABS, put the legs through (hire a tweaker, it would be worth it) and build a "shadowbox" for your relay control center.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks!
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Luke:

^^^I love that place.

Comment

Working...
        X