• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice,
    Somebody told me I should get the b8s though
    :-)
    RESTART

Comment

I run 6” 1200lb swift springs in the rear with stock bilstein shocks. Drove it like that from Phoenix to Fontana, California no problem still very comfortable.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by restart View Post
        Nice,
        Somebody told me I should get the b8s though
        :-)
        Bilstein Tourings will be softer, sports/B8/HDs more firm. Since a touring is not a race car I'd go with OE sport springs, maybe verts in the back and Tourings or Sachs Advantage if you can still find them.

New OE springs are also an option, especially if you haul cargo.

Comment

From the bilstein site It looks like the b8s use the same part number
          As all the other e30s.

They list 51mm for fonts
          But all the rear shocks say 45mm
          Does that sound correct.

Front>>>
          Bilstein BMW 3 Series (E30) Touring 325 i B8 Sprint Shock Absorber

Bilstein number: 34-003350
          Type: Bilstein B8
          Scope of delivery: Patroon demper
          Side: Front
          Type Shock Absorber: Mono-Tube Upside Down

Engine power (KW): 55 - 141

Comments:
          with sports suspension VA: outside diameter strut 51 mm HA: charakteristic: 160/55

Rear>>>
          Bilstein BMW 3 Series (E30) Touring 325 i Rear B8 Sprint Shock Absorber

Bilstein number: 24-020275
          Type: Bilstein B8
          Scope of delivery: Shock Absorber
          Side: Rearzijde
          Type Shock Absorber: Mono-Tube Gasdruk

Engine power (KW): 55 - 141

Comments:
          with standard chassis VA: outside diameter strut 45 mm HA: charakteristic: 160/55

Link to e30 bilstein reference>>>
          Bilstein shock absorbers Internationally, the name Bilstein Suspension stands for innovative and high-tech solutions for undercarriage engineering. W…

There are button s at the top of page to filter b8 or b4s etc...
          RESTART

Comment

Looking around in Europe where tourings are commonplace.... I see different shocks for the touring vs cabrio.

While we are talking suspension here are e30 vs cabrio vs touring weight/distribution for reference...

I hope pics show up inthread if they don’t can someone post them some external link is not required.
            Attached Files
            RESTART

Comment

I dunno why pics show up sometimes and sometimes not.

I think I have decided to go h&r lowering with bilsteins ordered from Europe at a shop that has a separate spring for touring...
              RESTART

Comment

I ended up pulling the Billy sport kit off the Rat Trap ('87 Sedan I parted out) and throwing it on my touring. You do lose a little stiffness in the rear, but unless you're towing, you probably won't miss it.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

getting back into my suspension here and time to upgrade the shocks to match the springs. looking for proper street dampening and comfort to support my slightly lowered height.

sounds like a lot of guys went Bilstein B8 here, touring specific when possible.

im on H&R Touring springs + B4's now. has anyone gone B6 or is that only if your car is not lowered?

any experience with a slightly lowered Touring on B6 vs B8 would be appreciated.

thanks
                  '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

The shxocks I used (above) are stiff. Handles nice and where I live roads are smooth.
                    If roads were bad I would go softer suspension.
                    RESTART

Comment

right ok - and if the car feels overall a little rickety still after that would you move to bushings or ? and i mean just new oem bushings, not going poly. sometimes the touring feels not as "solid" but could also be from all the interior panels noise in the wagon that i need to get tight?

thanks
                      '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

Originally posted by restart View Post
                        Looking around in Europe where tourings are commonplace.... I see different shocks for the touring vs cabrio.

While we are talking suspension here are e30 vs cabrio vs touring weight/distribution for reference...

I hope pics show up inthread if they don’t can someone post them some external link is not required.

Great info! Using your attachments, here are the F/R weights.

1396/1269 Sedan
                        1447/1320 Cab
                        1428/1372 Touring

So the difference in front weight from the sedan is 33 lbs for the touring and 51 lbs for the cabrio. The rear difference is 103 for the touring and 51 for the cabrio.

Per the H&R site they only make the "OE Sport" springs for the sedan/coupe. Has anyone tried these springs on a cabrio or touring?

Cory
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                          Great info! Using your attachments, here are the F/R weights.

1396/1269 Sedan
                          1447/1320 Cab
                          1428/1372 Touring

So the difference in front weight from the sedan is 33 lbs for the touring and 51 lbs for the cabrio. The rear difference is 103 for the touring and 51 for the cabrio.

Per the H&R site they only make the "OE Sport" springs for the sedan/coupe. Has anyone tried these springs on a cabrio or touring?

Cory

The weight distribution doesn't tell the whole picture. The touring has a significantly larger percentage of its rear weight behind the rear axle. Quite a bit more than the sedan or cabrio do.

I can tell you from my experience, that 475lb rear springs were no where near adequate to keep the rear end from bouncing around like crazy. This was a Ground Control coilover setup, and at full ride height, I would still bottom out with people in the back seat.

It took 700 lb rear springs to make the back end feel nice and tight.

Comment

AFAIK h and r e30 touring 30 mm drop number is 29684-1

That’s for the 6 cylinder...

The 4 cyl touring has different springs which you might consider in your comparison.

I dont know if h&r USA has listings for touring but They might find it with the part number

Here is a link for e30 325 touring at h+r
                            RESTART

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                              The weight distribution doesn't tell the whole picture. The touring has a significantly larger percentage of its rear weight behind the rear axle. Quite a bit more than the sedan or cabrio do.

I can tell you from my experience, that 475lb rear springs were no where near adequate to keep the rear end from bouncing around like crazy. This was a Ground Control coilover setup, and at full ride height, I would still bottom out with people in the back seat.

It took 700 lb rear springs to make the back end feel nice and tight.

Thanks for the great info. I'm a noob to aftermarket suspensions. My goal is to lower the car a little bit but still use B4 shocks. That's why the H&R OE Sports seemed interesting.

Cory
                              1992 325i Cabrio
                              1988 320i Touring
                              2000 M5
                              1977 530i
                              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                              BMWCCA
                              E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                              X