Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery driveline issues! Please help

Hello all,

So I recently developed a clicking sound which started on decel, and came from what I though was the passengers half shaft. Inner cv was my suspected culprit but it quickly moved up into the driveshaft and I could hear and feel it around the CSB. I’ve replaced both axles the guibo and the csb but it never fully went away. The thing that puzzles me is when I let it sit for a while it stops doing it. Trans is old and tired and whines, rear end isn’t much better honestly and I feel like the input shafts that go into the diff might be missing the locking circle clips because when I lift it up after I drop it the sound goes away 100% until 60 miles down the road or so. The fact that lifting it makes it go away makes me want to believe it’s axle related, or related to the input shafts moving around a bit. I got a new driveshaft anyway because the clicking sounds like it’s coming from the ujoints right before the diff.

Well that was a flipping essay thanks for getting through it, has anyone experienced similar issues? The fact that the csb keeps going makes me believe it’s the ujoints but my mechanic said the driveshaft looked fine.
    Additional notes: new subframe bushings diff bushings its a rotational click sound very tinny and very similar to what you hear from a bad ujoints it quiets down when I put the clutch in and unload the drive train and even braking can make it stop.

I dont think this will help you, but i chased an annoying rattling sound in my driveline for ages. Only made it when driving though.

Turns out it was item 11 slightly vibrating when rubbing against whatever it touches. I had slightly bent it during assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      I dont think this will help you, but i chased an annoying rattling sound in my driveline for ages. Only made it when driving though.

Turns out it was item 11 slightly vibrating when rubbing against whatever it touches. I had slightly bent it during assembly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0010

I’ll take a look at that, it’s pretty damn loud clicking though, my friend could hear it 5 cars back when driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Spilly View Post
        I’ll take a look at that, it’s pretty damn loud clicking though, my friend could hear it 5 cars back when driving.
        yer ok if its that loud it wont be that thing.

Comment

Probably has something to do with your diff. My car was damn near undrivable and made a nasty clicking sound. Diff was f*cked up, I replaced it with a used but good condition unit.
          sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
          1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
          1991 318is - Sold
          1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by ButtJuice View Post
            Probably has something to do with your diff. My car was damn near undrivable and made a nasty clicking sound. Diff was f*cked up, I replaced it with a used but good condition unit.
            Yeah that’s what I was worried about. All the diffs at the scrappers around here look worse off than mine though and had audible shitty sounds when turning the flanges. I’ll take another look around. Is it worth getting one rebuilt? Scrapper wants 400-450 for one here. Almost seems more reasonable to have the peace of mind for a few hundred more. Located in Vancouver BC.

Comment

I'd also vote for diff. You can usually find open diffs for $50 or LSDs for $300-400 in the USA. If they're really that expensive, maybe you can import one from the US, although shipping will be ridiculously expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X