iron first in a velvet glove the build of my m30b35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Wait... you trial fitted s38 ITBs or a whole s38?! An S38 swap would be AWESOME!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news my phone autocorrected itbs to it’s. So just my s38 itbs & the adapter where trial fitted.

I would do terrible things for an s38, I guess if I squinted & maybe sprayed some wd40 in my eyes my engine could look like an s38

Comment

LOL... I wouldn't try the WD40 in the eyes :D

The S38 ITBs will also be awesome (although a bit less awesome than the whole S38 :D )
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

So a much overdue update(photobucket turned me off uploading pics)

Currently the car is pulled apart after popping my head gasket

I haven’t managed to sort pistons/block machining yet(bill, life, work)

Currently organising itbs, & emu ecu I’ll be running this on a stock bottom end & getting the spate m30 built up as a short block which I’ll marry with the top end in the future. This will let me spend time working out my serpentine belt setup with the mrt/ati damper

Currently I’m setting up my remote oil filter housing & cooler, build brackets tomorrow, this will be the Vac adapter, trust remote filter housing, & 16row aeroflow cooler, using -10 AN fittings to see good flow & a secure system

I’ll be putting the rebuilt head on with my ARP studs, goetze head gasket,

Comment

Looking great! Can't wait to see how this progresses.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Going to pull ,y finger out & get work done, I’ve missed 2 rounds of racing so going to skip the remaining 2 events & get ready for a full season of super sprint in the new year.

Chopped up an old sparco seat mount for the oil filter housing, went pretty heavy on the bracket size just worried about its weight when full

Bought a burring bit to clean up the welds, 1 out of 5 weld is clean safe to say I need some practice haha.

One mounted I can figure the best radius AN fittings & hose lengths. After that I’ll be fitting the head & mocking up the itbs(will be trial & error on the booster side)

Comment

The Alpina front looks the goods - did you import yourself, or pick it up locally?

Pity about the head gasket, but a good opportunity to finish off your build I guess :)

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                The Alpina front looks the goods - did you import yourself, or pick it up locally?

Pity about the head gasket, but a good opportunity to finish off your build I guess :)
                I sourced it locally, I’ve had it store at home for a couple of years thought it’s about time it got used. Was a bit of a blessing in disguise it’s made me pull my finger out & get to working on it.

Got my filter housing, & cooler mounted with some great garden hose mock-up need to get 4 more fittings & some hose. After the oil cooler is done I’ll be getting the head in place working out how much I need to clearance the firewall to run the rear coolant out like the older m30’s I have one in my box/s of m30/90 bits & pieces. Thinking it may assist in removing heat spots in the cooling system.

Comment

you might win some space by not ducting your alternator - unless you're running 800W of amps, it probably doesn't need that much cooling ;)

the rear cooling pipe is kinda huge and a pain to fit without heavily modifying the firewall. It was also only done that way because BMW didn't feel like figuring out how to tee the upper radiator hose in the 1970s. molded reinforced rubber wasn't quite up to the task at that point.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

I like the Alpina 161 air dam you have. On my Alpina project I’m using the Alpina 162 air dam. It has the extra two cut outs on center air dam. I can’t wait wait for dyno numbers!!!!
                    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                      I like the Alpina 161 air dam you have. On my Alpina project I’m using the Alpina 162 air dam. It has the extra two cut outs on center air dam. I can’t wait wait for dyno numbers!!!!

It’s probably sacralige I plan to cut the 2nd hole into it, I’m tossing up stim.tech hood vents instead though to help the cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        you might win some space by not ducting your alternator - unless you're running 800W of amps, it probably doesn't need that much cooling ;)

the rear cooling pipe is kinda huge and a pain to fit without heavily modifying the firewall. It was also only done that way because BMW didn't feel like figuring out how to tee the upper radiator hose in the 1970s. molded reinforced rubber wasn't quite up to the task at that point.
                        Super cool alternator is funky though, hose will be gone from it soon along with trimming the factory 90* elbow on it.

I was going to trial fit the rear outlet & look at extending it out with an AN fittingmon the end to make line changes easier

Made a new shroud for the rad, the oil cooler is mounted on the low side to clear the fan

Comment

So small update, oil cooler is done just need to run my pressure sensor to th e filter housing.

Next job is making plates for the thermostat & water pump housing, I’ll be going down the track of a Davis Craig ewp150 so I can eliminate the need to make a serpentine pulley for the water pump, I’ll be moving to a e46 alternator as they run the same ribs as my ATI harmonic damper. I was going to fit the head this weekend but while the heads off I’m taking the chance to pull the gearbox & replace the well cooked clutch & get my lightweight flywheel

Comment

So make a start to the electric water pump setup, going with a Davis Craig ewp150 & making a bracket to mount from the old powe steering pump location. The ewp saves me worrying about the thermo housing interference with the tps, & gives me better control over flow rates, & I can bleed the motor while the engine isn’t running

The plates are marine graded 5083 & will be getting AN bungs welded on, the thermostat housing one will be a squeeze but looking to get a -16 & -10 welded to it, otherwise it will be getting the outlets from the front of the thermo housing replicated on it

Comment

While the head was off decided to pull the clutch, it’s been really noisy so it had me think the throw out bearing was dead, instead I found the spigot hadn’t been pushed in correctly & was ruined.

Anyway fun fact was easier to pull the motor than drop the box, taking the chance to hammer the firewall around the gearbox bolts. Removed the foam insulation which I’ll replace with heat reflective sheet, & clean 20yrs of filth out of th bay. The single mass has been shaved in the past weighing in at 6.5kgs but the RHD option is 3.8kg so getting one off Rama in 3wks time. I’ll hang onto the single mass for the turbo m30 project

Took the chance to de-potato the block, will probably regret dark blue if in the even I need to trace an oil leak. Just submitting an order for the windage tray that IE has just added to their m30 part list, which will see from top to bottom the motor having new seal/gaskets

Comment

The blue looks nice - if you need to trace a leak, you'll just have to get that new liquimoly oil with the fluerescent dye in it :D

Have to admit when I repainted my block, I took the opportunity to "clean up" (ie. grind off) the 3.5 on the block in achieving my ultimate sleeper aims.

Hmmm - could - be an M20 in there... ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X