Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question

On many replacement exhaust systems (including the "factory equivalent" systems), the cat converter seems to be taking the independent dual setup of the e30 M20 B25, and making it into a 2 into 1 setup. See the links below:

Here's what stock looks like:

Here's what that p/n shows with google search:

the image looks similar to the one in the first link, but when searching google for that pn, it looks like a 2 into 1 setup like the one below:

My question is, is the setup in the stock system any different than the replacement? or is the stock BMW one simply a 2 into 1 that's just disguised as a dual setup?

Also, should I be concerned with a 2 into 1 setup? My cat is pretty rusty and in need of replacement. I'd like to stay stock, but don't want to waste$$ and time on something that's not going to perform or sound stock (I'd like the replacement to sound similar. I don't have a race car, nor do I hope to make sound like one).

thanks in advance.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

I don't think the 2 into 1 into 2 is much of a problem providing the 1 is around 2.25 - 2.5 inches.

The collar that appears to go across the two pipes in front of the cat in the stock photo actually covers an X-pipe, so the stock system does merge then split again.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

the only benefit is the car will be lighter with after-marked Cat.. the type of muffler will take care of the extra noise

Comment

I have one of these CA-legal aftermarket exhausts on an otherwise sock car (see pic) and it's a little droney. The other thing to consider is that a factory BMW cat is good for 20+ years on a properly functioning engine. I hear a lot of stories about aftermarket cats failing CA smog after 1-2 years. I think there was legislation in CA to mandate they companies offer an "x" year warranty, but I don't remember the specifics.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
        X