No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been in the planning stages of the check engine light forever. The fact that its one wire confuses me (im a retard when it comes to wiring obviously)
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^ That's a signal wire. The other goes to ground.
      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Ive been wanting to repurpose my brake lining light because its already in the cluster, and the wiring for it is literally right next to my c101. It has two wires. I had planned on connecting one of the two to the x20 pin8 IIRC, and to ground the other but someone told me that wouldnt work
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

You should go ask those questions in another thread, this thread is for California BAR stuff

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Yes and a CEL happens to be required for BAR. Hence why this is relevant info for those who don't have a CEL wired.
            /facepalm

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Ive been wanting to repurpose my brake lining light because its already in the cluster, and the wiring for it is literally right next to my c101. It has two wires. I had planned on connecting one of the two to the x20 pin8 IIRC, and to ground the other but someone told me that wouldnt work
              check engine light needs switched hot which your brake lt. should be, and ground goes to DME pretty sure I also used pin 8 in x 20 harness. I just did this to update from an 86 cluster - no chk eng lt. to later cluster with chk enging 'label' in red warning lt area left of steering wheel. Or just find another bulb/socket and one wire to hot, and run ground to DME chk your C101 for existing pin . I had to add one in empty pin 8 on my C101. Check your wiring diagrams.
              My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                Yes and a CEL happens to be required for BAR. Hence why this is relevant info for those who don't have a CEL wired.
                /facepalm
                perhaps start a:

"I can't read wiring diagrams very well center for children-thread? just make sure its not sized for ants or Zoolander will be upset :P

if one takes the effort to swap in a 24v engine but does not wire up a function like CEL you must be running a lemons car and not really care if the sensors go out; lemons cars are diagnosed with black magic.
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by _Keith_ View Post
                  So what did those of you with a s52 do? I have the 506 ecu, I'm also wondering about ob2 headers installed with block off plates.
                  Still wondering about this.
                  I've converted the s52 to obd1 swapped the valve cover to a s50, but I have s52 headers on it with block off plates. Using a 506 ecu.

Looking for feedback from others with similar setup that are now bar ref'd
                  87 325i Coupe - Sold
                  95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                  87 325i Vert - Sold
                  87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                  99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                  03 525i Touring - Current
                  03 325i Touring (Mtech Conv) - Current
                  88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

I've converted the s52 to obd1 swapped the valve cover to a s50, but I have s52 headers on it with block off plates. Using a 506 ecu.

When I did my research, I remember reading that the engine "had to function in the same way as it did in the donor car, complete from intake to exhaust".

That said, the wording in the article here states that you can't tamper with emissions equipment, and doesn't specifically state exhaust headers, although it is implied.

Here's the article, a very helpful resource.

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Better hope they don't see those block off plates. I have the obd2 manifolds also but mine have the SAI ports welded shut and I painted the manifolds with a high temp exhaust paint. They look OEM.

Also, you mentioned the ecu, I've heard they check the VIN on the ecu so you want to make sure that your story matches the VIN on the ecu. I don't know about the 506 is that a S50 ecu?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Yes the 506 is the s50 ecu.
                        I've actually got another set of headers I'm going to have welded up.
                        87 325i Coupe - Sold
                        95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                        87 325i Vert - Sold
                        87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                        99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                        88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

nice, I think as long as the other equipment is there you should be fine. for me the biggest thing is wiring up the CEL (which Im almost done with, courtesy of the helpful people in the thread)

besides that most people seem to have a charcoal canister missing, no cats, silicone elbow, 3.5" MAF.. if you have mostly OEM equipment I think you'll be fine
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                            When I did my research, I remember reading that the engine "had to function in the same way as it did in the donor car, complete from intake to exhaust".

That said, the wording in the article here states that you can't tamper with emissions equipment, and doesn't specifically state exhaust headers, although it is implied.

Here's the article, a very helpful resource.
                            http://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Engin...uidelines.html
                            Thank you
                            87 325i Coupe - Sold
                            95 M3 Track rat - Sold
                            87 325i Vert - Sold
                            87 325is S52 swap - Sold
                            99 M3 (Estoril) - Sold
                            88 325i Vert - Current

Comment

which charcoal canister do you guys prefer to use? Im about start going to the junkyard to grab the last little minor things and was curious which is smaller. I want to tuck it up in the fender instead of under the hood by the frame rail
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

I'm not to sure about the canister sizes, I was planning on just running my m20 canister.

I've spoken to a few local guys who have gone through the bar process (all in Bay Area ref stations), and reportedly one of the most deciding details of the process is the official who inspects your car.
                                One of the guys managed to ref an OBD1 converted S52, running bimmer world equal flow 24v swap mani's (a pair of squid-looking mafks' which I eventually managed to get my hands on), custom exhaust other than the stock obd2 cats, 24# inj, 3.5" MAF, big come filter, etc.
                                The other guy I spoke with reported that he ended up in the most official bar inspection he had ever heard of- trying to bar an m50nv (the most basic requirements of 24v bar) with the official printing 50-something pages of diagrams and part numbers, and checking everything from the cats, to the manifolds, checking the numbers on the block, head, checking if the correct valve cover was used, also tried to check the injectors and intake mani, and made a big deal about using the oem air-box, etc. Also put the car through multiple dyno runs, sniff tests, and also instructed the owner to send oil & coolant samples off to be tested. Also, this official flagged the car in the DMV/smog system, so now just taking it to a different REF will not help.
                                The guy was obviously a stickler, but it just goes to show how much it comes down to each specific official. I know the OP clearly stated that this thread was not about "getting around the bar" or anything not "100% Cali legal"- but a huge portion of the BAR & ref process is grey area, and it usually comes down to how each ref 'interprets' the standards for Cali-smog.
                                Everyone attempting to go for Cali smog should hope for a bit of luck (never hurts), and know that the bar/ref system is a process, not just a test. If you fail, the official should give you specific reasons why, and you should be able to communicate with him the best ways to get your car to the state it needs to be in (or the state that CA gov. wants it to be in).
                                I myself, though, am thinking about setting up a po box residency in Amador county (I'm around an hour north of sac, so it's the closest smog-exempt county) to avoid smog altogether.
                                Anywho, good luck to all you sons o' ...
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X