intermittent starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittent starting issue

I have been having issues with my 87 325e lately occasionally it just will not start. It cranks just spinning, after trying multiple times it starts sometimes or if I let it sit for like 10 minutes it starts. When it started doing it I thought it was the tps as I had an erratic revving (even after replacing the air hoses related) so thought it might be it but nope still doing it.

About 7 months ago I replaced the fuel pump relay for doing a similar thing but it would spin or occasionally start and run like crap and idled around 500-1000 rpm then slowly dropped and died. Also I replaced the main relay as I was at the bmw dealership and it was cheap. In August I did timing belt, water pump, plugs, fuel filter, cap, rotor.

Any ideas of things to test or try?

Next time it doesn't start, pop off a plug wire and check for spark. See what you don't have (spark or fuel) assuming you have compression. Then investigate. Check your pm, the fender is in Richmond.
    sigpic

Comment

I think it was a fuel issue. Purchased a new fuel pump relay again its been working. Think I am going to buy new fuel pumps.

Comment

Sounds like a crank position sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by bddog View Post

Comment

Even though it's been running fine all week?

Comment

any definitive solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                any definitive solution?

I'm going to second this:

Originally posted by bddog View Post

When was the last time the Speed and Crankshaft Position sensors were replaced on your car? I just dealt with this and replacing both fixed it. Make sure you order by the Bosch part numbers to save some $$$. There's two different one's that will work. The more expensive one just has longer wires.

Comment

fixed my problem. ended up being the external fuel pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I reckon there are a lot of perfectly good crank sensors that have been thrown in the bin.

Comment

Working...
                    X