No announcement yet.

I'm driving a 4,500 mile route from Washington to Washington for the E30 Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm driving a 4,500 mile route from Washington to Washington for the E30 Picnic

Hi guys,

Assuming I can get registered for the E30 Picnic, I'm planning to do a cross-country road trip from DC to the PNW for it this year.

I've been a car guy since forever, but recently got into E30s after I bought a 91 318is last October. Since then, I've been meeting a lot of E30 folks and it's always a good time.

I lived and worked in the Seattle area for the better part of 7 years but haven't been back for a long time. I'd like to go back there to see all my old friends, and make some new ones who share the E30 love.

I'd like to plan out a route and would like to know what towns I should visit? I've done the north route before from SEA to DC on a tight schedule, but this time have a more flexible schedule and can take the north/south/whatever route.

Where should I visit? Bonus if there are lots of E30 folks there who might be willing to do mini-meets at a local eatery along the way.

Thanks!
    Ryan Carag

Edit Update 8 May, 2015: I've registered and here's my tentative route to the picnic. Please help me fill this with cool spots, great places to eat, and maybe even an E30 meet or two along the way.
    Last edited by megatron; 05-08-2015, 12:12 AM. Reason: Added tentative route map for trip to Seattle / Tacoma from DC
    GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Sounds like its going to be an epic road trip! California is a little out of your way, but maybe I'll see you at the picnic! Document the trip, would make for an awesome video
    I park with my feet... sometimes
    sigpic

Comment

Go through Yellowstone National Park. The road to the North entrance has some wicked curves.

Comment

Swing thru Houston and we can go get some eats!

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips, please keep them coming.

I'm going to do a lap back to DC after the picnic so could take the north route out there and the south route back. Or zig zags. Or whatever, really. I used to drive up and down the west coast for autocross events, but it was always in a hurry and so never really got to enjoy the PCH and just stopping by places to see everything.

Comment

You could go the south route then caravan up with the Cali crew, looks like there is quite a few of them coming this year.
            1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
            2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
            2003 X5 3.0

Comment

+1 for going down to California then rolling in a caravan up with them. Drive down would be legendary. Drive up would be legendary. Can't go wrong there!
              -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
              -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

I am in Kansas City, MO, and have been thinking about going to the picnic this year. Be great to have you swing through here, & I could for sure set up a meet at a great local restaurant (I call on some of the best places in town)! And then if I am going to be able to make it, I can caravan out with you. Always more fun when there is another E30 to look at :D
                Originally posted by LJ851
                kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                #teamross
                Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

You could stop at crater of diamonds state park in Arkansas. Maybe you could find something that will pay for your trip. I'd also take a look at the roadtripper app. It shows you places worth stopping within a certain distance of your route.

Comment

When I drove from Seattle to Alabama I went through Omaha Nebraska. Turned out to be a pretty cool city. If in the area I'd stop there again.
                    Neue Motorsports: http://www.neuemotorsports.com/

Instagram: https://instagram.com/neuemotorsports/

Comment

Originally posted by MacBudd541 View Post
                      You could go the south route then caravan up with the Cali crew, looks like there is quite a few of them coming this year.
                      Originally posted by Nesset View Post
                      +1 for going down to California then rolling in a caravan up with them. Drive down would be legendary. Drive up would be legendary. Can't go wrong there!
                      Ohhh, that's not a bad idea. Still working on the schedule, but depending on whether I decide to spend some time in Seattle before or after the picnic, this could be a good option.

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                      I am in Kansas City, MO, and have been thinking about going to the picnic this year. Be great to have you swing through here, & I could for sure set up a meet at a great local restaurant (I call on some of the best places in town)! And then if I am going to be able to make it, I can caravan out with you. Always more fun when there is another E30 to look at :D
                      It would be awesome to gradually pick up a caravan along the way.

Originally posted by imjusthere View Post
                      You could stop at crater of diamonds state park in Arkansas. Maybe you could find something that will pay for your trip. I'd also take a look at the roadtripper app. It shows you places worth stopping within a certain distance of your route.
                      Didn't know about either of those. Awesome, and thanks!

Originally posted by Dylanhat View Post
                      When I drove from Seattle to Alabama I went through Omaha Nebraska. Turned out to be a pretty cool city. If in the area I'd stop there again.
                      A bunch of classmates of mine went then on an school-organized "trek" once and got to bump fists with Warren Buffett. Literally bump fists, actually, Mr. Buffett seems like a cool guy. Anyway... they had good things to say about the town. I missed the trip, and I'll probably not get to bump fists with Mr. Buffett, but it sounds like a cool place to stop and spend the afternoon / evening / night.

Comment

Keep this thread going. We are in Minnesota and are considering driving a V10 E30M3 out. A lot is up in the air at this point but we could run west with you from here if it all shakes out
                        We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                        www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                          Keep this thread going. We are in Minnesota and are considering driving a V10 E30M3 out. A lot is up in the air at this point but we could run west with you from here if it all shakes out

I like this idea also. I don't believe that swap has been debuted at the picnic before.
                          1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                          2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                          2003 X5 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                            driving a V10 E30M3 out.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Can we get a roll call of people going up from SoCal/NorCal? Socal guys should hit the Bay Area and meet up with NorCal peeps on the way up.

Comment

Working...
                              X