Window switch cleaning gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window switch cleaning gone wrong

So for a while now on my daily 89is, the window switches have been working intermittently. I left out of town for a couple days on business, when I came back they really started to work every so often. Of course a couple more days go by, and we get some more 60 degree days! I forget I wasn’t wanting to roll them down, but cracked one. And now, it is stuck in the cracked position! I read about how you can clean them, so I pulled the little guy apart. I sanded the contacts to all up and down positions. I also pulled out the switch-connector around the spring, and bent the pieces back so they could touch easier! Thinking hey this seems like a cake-walk. Put it all back together, plugged it into the base, aaaaannnnnndddddd nothin. I’m pretty positive the down stil works at this point, but I’m not going to put it any further as snow is around the corner. I pull it out, pop it open once more just to glance if I did something different, everything looked okay! So I gave it the ol nintendo 64 ‘blow out’ and popped it back in. This time, the whole switch was dead. No lights and the down button wasn’t even working. I have a sedan that I believe has a loose contact, blowing the #17 fuse on a daily. So I check that along with all the others, and nothing blown. Did I somehow make the switch worse?? Or maybe I need a new base/connector to wire in. Honestly any input is welcomed, not sure what’s going on 🤷🏻waffles♂️ Cheers guys!

Swap switches and close the window. They are all the same.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
      Swap switches and close the window. They are all the same.
      Yep tried that too, still nothing. I’m thinking it’s the base connector part that the wires go into. I’m going to see if I can’t find a diagram and re-work it.

Comment

blowing the #17 fuse on a daily
        Is 17 part of the windows? I don't have them memorized. But I do know the window circuit more than anyone
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

It is! I initially was under the assumption it coordinates with the power of window switches. On my sedan, you would roll the window down and upon coming up short out and blow the fuse.

Comment

Turns out it was just the base! Thanks goodness ��

Comment

I’m sorry to hear about your e30 issue. However if this is your biggest problem with the car, you’re doing pretty well.
              sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
              1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
              1991 318is - Sold
              1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by jackhammer12 View Post
                Turns out it was just the base! Thanks goodness ��

I posted before I read this.
                sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”