Steering wheel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel issue

So I think I got myself into a pickle today. Decided to finally swap out my old airbag wheel on a 91 318ic for an mtech1. I managed to get the old wheel off without an issue but when I put the MTech1 on, i realized there was a wobble and it needed more shims. In the process of taking it off and on multiple times, I now have it where the wheel will not come off the shaft - it feels like there is a pin in the column holding it on. The steering column is not locked, i can turn the wheel at whim, but the wheel wont come off and column wont lock/unlock with the key in. How do I reset the column so the wheel can come off? Thanks in advance for any info, this sounds like a really stupid problem!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Rokas
    1991 318i Convertible - Lagunengruen 5sp
    2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE

If you put your key in the ignition and turn to on position the lock comes free
    sigpic

Comment

Yes except it doesn't do that - the steering column doesnt lock/unlock with the key, i can turn the wheel at least 45 degrees in either direction so the column isnt locking anymore, with or without the key...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
      Rokas
      1991 318i Convertible - Lagunengruen 5sp
      2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE

Comment

Well, the lock wouldn't let you turn the steering wheel much at all, so if you can rotate 45 you may well have some other issue. My guess as far as no removal is that you perhaps damaged splines, especially if you had insufficient spacers to start with. If that were the case you'd just have to pull harder to remove it.

Comment

Working...
        X