Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a stupid shifter question...

Hey guys,

I am feeling a little dumb asking this question as I am sure this has been asked a ton of times, but after searching around a bunch I haven't seen a direct answer. I have an m52b28 swapped into my car, stock g260 transmission, and the condor swap tranny mount and bushings, UUC 24v swap DSSR, and I can't get the shift carrier to line up to the body.

I was thinking I needed to try and shift the motor/trans as it seems that the transmission mounts have slot that would allow it to move slightly, but then I realized that the motor mounts likely wouldn't allow for that kind of movement. Do I simply need to bend the shift carrier? I know in some cases you have to, but that's what I originally thought the 24v swap 10 degree DSSR corrected.

I think I have since realized that I was wrong on that one and I do indeed need to either bend the carrier or make a new one somehow. Is this correct?

Waiting on a conference call to start, and have been doing even more searching. Nothing I have seen refers to bending the shift carrier, just twisting/bending the selector rod. I can't even get the shifter carrier/bushing to align to the body currently. What am I missing here?

Comment

Anytime you run a g260 with a m5x you need to twist the selector rod 10 degrees or whatever it is. The uuc rod is twisted? I believe garagistic sells one for the g260.

Comment

Make sure you have the selector rod that matches your transmission. ETA/SETA had a straight shift carrier and the 325i unit has a slight curve at the end.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I have the 10 degree DSSR from UUC, so I am good on that one. The shift carrier is the same one that came in the car with the stock g260 trans. Right now I cannot get the shift carrier to line up with the body for the carrier bushing. I could probably bend it in place, but that just didn't seem right at all. This is was what originally led me to believe I need to center/shift the trans, but it doesn't really seem like that's something you do, especially being that the motor mounts don't (and shouldn't) allow for that kind of lateral play.

Comment

Loosen your motor mounts and move the trans over with a pry bar. Sometimes, it's necessary.

Comment

ok, cool, ill give that a shot. I tried shifting it by hand, but not with a prybar.

Comment

Yah I have solid bushings and I had to lower the tranny a bit and shove it around. It was a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                  Yah I have solid bushings and I had to lower the tranny a bit and shove it around. It was a pain in the ass.
                  Thanks for that info! I have condor solid motor and trans mounts, so this helps knowing that. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Comment

I was able to shove the transmission over enough that I didn't have to pull the shift carrier TOO hard to get it into place. Hopefully that won't be an issue. did things the reverse of recommended as well by tightening the trans down first, but it was the only way I could keep it from shifting out of alignment again...

Comment

Make sure your mounts are properly orientated. I use stock, rubber mounts for this exact reason, but the last two sets of Condor UHMW mounts I've installed, have fit with relative ease.

Comment

Everything is in and torqued now, shifter feels good. I just had to put a bit more pressure on the shift carrier then I would have liked to normally. If I find I have binding issues later on down the line I guess ill just loosen everything and try again.

Comment

Did you loosen arms or the mounts?

Comment

Working...
                          X