Taurus side skirts - modification and installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
    I'll be adding more tonight, if I get time. I just realized that when installing these, you lose the stock jack point on the rockers. I may look into cutting out a section to leave a provision for the stock jack. I don't know about some of the rest of you guys, but my car is low enough to the point that I have to jack up the side with the stock jack first to get under the front, especially with the Reiger.
    How tall is your jack at its lowest position? Most jacks are 5.5", but if you look around you can find jacks that are 3.3". Mine was about $70 at Wall-mart. It is definitely worth the money. So much better than my old 5.5", raises the car higher too.

Comment

Minor update today, sanded down the cutoff ends of the skirts with 180 grit, giving them a nice finished end, and rounding off any sharp edges from the cut. A piece of sandpaper wrapped around a wood block will give a good straight edge, taking down any irregularities in the cut surface. 100 grit would probably work a little faster, but 180 was all I had. Next step is getting them sanded and ready to paint.

Comment

they are going to look sick on your car.
        NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Mercury Sable of the same year is the same car.
          I hope to find some soon
          '74 2002 - Build blog at
          nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

More work done today, one of the skirts is sanded, I waited on doing the other so I could get a comparison pic. And I thought these things were filthy before I washed them!

I used 180 grit paper for sanding the skirts. Since there are nicks and scratches in the skirts that go through the paint into the urethane, I sanded them down as close as I could get them, but not completely flat. For the rest of the smoothing, I'll use high-build filler primer and sand between each coat to even out the surface.

Here is a shot of the ends that were cut off, sanded down and the edges sanded and rounded off:

Then, Andrew and I attached the endcaps to the insides of the skirts. We used Loctite 2-part plastic epoxy to attach the ends. Before we epoxied them, we used the edge of a flathead screwdriver and tore up the surface of the 2 parts being epoxied, getting them good and rough. Yu can use something else, but this worked in a pinch.

We applied epoxy to the inside of the skirt and sandwiched the endcap down against it. We also made sure to get plenty of epoxy around any seam, and create a good seal.

This stuff dried solid in 7 minutes, so be sure you get the endcaps exactly where you want them quickly, because you won't have much time to move them around.

Comment

looks nice. cant wait to see em painted and mounted. i cant wait to get a set for myself!
              1991 318is nv m50 : brilliantrot

Comment

Just got a quote on the phone from the local pic-your-part yard... $30 EACH for these. That's with me having to pull them and everything!
                Time to keep looking.
                '74 2002 - Build blog at
                nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by NOMAD View Post
                  Just got a quote on the phone from the local pic-your-part yard... $30 EACH for these. That's with me having to pull them and everything!
                  Time to keep looking.
                  Still cheap.
                  Can you find e30 skirts for $60?
                  Originally posted by Gruelius
                  and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Not cheap when everyone else is getting a pair for $20. They had 14 taurus there. I may stop in and yank them and see what they quote me at the door. I can always just leave.
                    '74 2002 - Build blog at
                    nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by NOMAD View Post
                      Time to keep looking.
                      because they have been bombarded with R3v calls! haha... they will catch on soon.
                      Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                      That Guy.
                      03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

I had to pay $30 for the both of mine.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
                          Still cheap.
                          Can you find e30 skirts for $60?
                          No, but you should be able to find Taurus skirts for cheap. Ford made a billion of those turds.

Comment

Just went to my local pick and pull. $50 for both, if I pull them.
                            I saw a good half dozen, AND a mercury sable set that was actually a little more agressive looking, wish I would have brought my camera.

hearing everyone else get them for like $10 kept me from pulling the trigger.
                            I'll probably pick them up next week.
                            Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                              Just went to my local pick and pull. $50 for both, if I pull them.
                              God damn, that's ridiculous! This place I got mine from even has standardized pricing, and they were only $4.50 each.

All the junkyards in the country are probably catching on that all of a sudden, they're getting flooded with calls for Taurus side skirts, and raising their prices. Next thing you know, they're going to be $200 for a pair.

Comment

Mr. Anderson, you've got mail.
                                '74 2002 - Build blog at
                                nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X