E30 M3 5 Lug VS E36 5 Lug & E36 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M3 5 Lug VS E36 5 Lug & E36 wheels

So I am ready to pull the trigger on getting all of the necessary bits to do a 5 lug conversion and I plan on doing it with all factory E30 M3 parts. This is mostly because I still have a new set of E34 M-system M5 wheels (one of my favorites) sitting in the garage and I know they work much better with E30 M3 suspension. There are a lot of cars in Europe running around with E34 wheels and E36 5 lug suspension and I think they look terrible, E36 offsets (with E34 8" rims) tend to push the wheel out too far and the tires are small and look like they have to be stretched on. However, "sschin" (forum member) sent me photos of his E30 w/ E30 M3 suspension and E34 M5 wheels and his car looks correct. But I still like the look of E36 M3 Motorsport wheels on E30's, and we all know that E36 suspension is a lot more cost effective and easier to find. The cars I have seen with E36 5 lug suspension and E36 M wheel combos look good, the wheels are is in the right spot and the offsets look correct, and the wheel options / brakes are much greater. But can anyone tell me if they have or if they have seen an E30 w/ an E30 M3 5 lug conversion with E36 wheels? I would be more than happy with my M5 rims but would like to know if I can run E36 wheels too. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Originally posted by NKGFUTS View Post
    I still have a new set of E34 M-system M5 wheels (one of my favorites) sitting in the garage and I know they work much better with E30 M3 suspension.

There are a lot of cars in Europe running around with E34 wheels and E36 5 lug suspension and I think they look terrible, E36 offsets (with E34 8" rims) tend to push the wheel out too far and the tires are small and look like they have to be stretched on.

However, "sschin" (forum member) sent me photos of his E30 w/ E30 M3 suspension and E34 M5 wheels and his car looks correct.

But I still like the look of E36 M3 Motorsport wheels on E30's, and we all know that E36 suspension is a lot more cost effective and easier to find.

The cars I have seen with E36 5 lug suspension and E36 M wheel combos look good, the wheels are is in the right spot and the offsets look correct, and the wheel options / brakes are much greater.

But can anyone tell me if they have or if they have seen an E30 w/ an E30 M3 5 lug conversion with E36 wheels? I would be more than happy with my M5 rims but would like to know if I can run E36 wheels too. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
    ok once i figured it out, i think i see what your saying.

Look at what your car will be used for. i think the e36 m3 suspension works best IMO. i have seen people with this swap done and they have more choices for BBK's and such...

dont rule out choices and spend more money on a setup that will only look good for ONE style wheel.

gl
    sigpic

Comment

To get E36 wheels to work on E30 m3 5 lug, just run ~20mm spacers. Done. That's it. E34 has ~20-25mm offset, E30 M3 has about the same, E36 is around 40mm. So a 15-20mm spacer will work, especially since the hub bores are the same iirc. No sense compromising the suspension if you don't have to.

Allows you to have the correct steering and suspension geometry, no caster issues, and run either the E34 or E36 wheels you want. BBK selection is as good as e36 (massive brakes is choice stuff), etc etc. Go with the proper stuff.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I went with e30 m3 suspension. You have alot bigger choice of wheels to run also you keep most of the same suspension geometry. It may cost alittle more but its worth it in the end. O and if you are looking for a cheap BBK for e30 m3 suspension you can make adapters to run e36 m3 brakes.

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

E30 M3 wheels are actually et30 and et27 FYI. So a 20 mil spacer on an 8.5 e36 wheel will be too much.

I run e30 m3 bits front ant rear. My Breytons, as seen below, are e36 fitment. 17x8.5 et38. I used a 12mm spacer in front and a 8mm in back (a 12 makes me rub with cut rear fenders). Main reason for the front is I am using my rotor spacer to use the larger e36 m3 front brakes as well. Ideally I would only use a 5mm spacer up front.

sigpic

Comment

Here are a couple shots of the rotor spacers I have been making off and on to use the e36 m3 front brakes on e30 m3 suspension.

sigpic

Comment

When do you think you will make another batch?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I actually just spoke with a guy/shop 5 minutes away from me this week. Going to go over some plans and see, could be within a few weeks. Possibly do one set at a time with a lower price as well. If it all works out, I will post up the info.
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds good. These change your et correct?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Member "Atomic" runs DSII wheels on his m3 setup. There are numerous threads on this.

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                      Sounds good. These change your et correct?
                      Indeed, its the same as running a 12mm spacer (roughly), you just cant take it off, unless you swap e30 m3 brakes back on. I have been going back and forth for years. With a 25mm MC, I love the e36 m3 front brakes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                        Indeed, its the same as running a 12mm spacer (roughly), you just cant take it off, unless you swap e30 m3 brakes back on. I have been going back and forth for years. With a 25mm MC, I love the e36 m3 front brakes.
                        I just got my e30 m3 suspension and the brakes are good but not good enough. I mean for street use they are fine but on the track I felt like I didnt have enough stopping power.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by NKGFUTS View Post
                          There are a lot of cars in Europe running around with E34 wheels and E36 5 lug suspension and I think they look terrible, E36 offsets (with E34 8" rims) tend to push the wheel out too far and the tires are small and look like they have to be stretched on.
                          i think stretch is stupid, and i run ET23 16x8's on my e36 suspension and 225/40 tires. i wish i had 245's, instead. the stretch is a style thing, and they do it more so they can have the car an inch off the ground, rather than the actual look of the narrow tire.

http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                          X