318 Ti suspension????'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30-323ti
    Those roll centre block will be great for your car Jordan, just leaves the issue of no suspension travel, which if you got a pair of GC Camber plates they would reduce your stack height and give you some shock travel back (About 3/4-1" I think), but if you don't have coilovers it will lower it by another 3/4-1" which won't help.
    I do have coilovers.
    I do have camber plates.
    I have tons of suspension travel, even as low as I am.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Excellent.
      Should be handling quite well once you get those RCA's.

To be running @286mm you must have some pretty smooth roads where you drive??

Over here you'd have no sump & no exhaust within 20miles.
      Thats why I run mine around 320-330mm, could drop it down for the track but then it would need to be corner weighted again & re-aligned, which isn't feasible at the track & not really worth it for the 30-40mm drop in the COG if you don't do it.
      And a 3" exhaust doesn't leave much room under the rear subframe even at 330mm.
      292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Ha, I guess compared to other parts of the world yes the roads here are excellent. Still though there are plenty of random humps, chunks of debris, etc to rip off my lip or break the oil pan.

Just a matter of paying attention and being able to dart around something unfriendly.

Comment

Alot of you guys keep falling back on the "I live in a 3rd world country and e30 M3 parts are hard to source" copout. I do not fucking care. UPS, FedEX, and DHL are more then happy to bring anything you can imagine right to your doorstep in no time flat.__________________
          Sorry, ut in my case I can't import USED stuff from any part, new cost too much and won't worth. Othercountries may not have this prolem, ut I bet hasother issues like high taxesor probably problems with shipping.
          Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

So bake the parts into a fucking fruitcake. If people smuggle cocaine out of your country 24 hours a day, 365 days a year into the US I think someone can manage a pair of strut housings going back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
              So bake the parts into a fucking fruitcake. If people smuggle cocaine out of your country 24 hours a day, 365 days a year into the US I think someone can manage a pair of strut housings going back in.
              ROFL

Just use the E36 parts if that is what you have availble Diego.
              Make sure you use the CORRECT parts or it doesn't work!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti
                ROFL

Just use the E36 parts if that is what you have availble Diego.
                Make sure you use the CORRECT parts or it doesn't work!!!!
                Well, what can I do, fi they check the whole stuff once arrive? They open the whole container and check item by item thanks a to a"test lucky" of RED (check merchandise) or GREEN light (Pass with out chekcing).

I brang once a used S/C, for lucky I got Green light in customs, but later I imported a Remanufactured turbo and almost customs kept all my merchandise (new spare parts of the shopp), I have to corrupt one of their workers there to let me pass it for $100 damn dollars!

I won't import used stuff again , never.

Yes, I will be using e36 parts, it's what I have. Now I need to buy just offset bushing and 97+ m4 controla arms.
                Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                  hahahahhahaha that would have to be a huge cake....but it would be awsome....BTW bake me a mtech 2 fruit cake :twisted:
                  ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

the E36 M3 front upright is superior in this respect, in that the lower ball joint is further away from the wheel centre, which has the effect of allowing the car to be lowered further before you run into the nasty effects of camber LOSS, as well as keeping the roll centre higher up than the E30 struts. And another benefit of the E36 M3 upright is that the scrub radius is superior to the E30 M3, being near zero. This is why I am using these parts on my project, in short, they are a bit more work to fit, but will deliver a better result than the E30 M3 struts you adore so much
                    Nice.

Comment

don't forget about roll center and bump steer. If you add E36 struts and have a lowered E30, the control arm will have a severe slant downward from the subframe balljoint to the strut balljoint. So with this situation, when you take a turn agressively, the control arm tends to want to "buckle" and "bind" itself. This in turn moves some forces to the tie rod, creating bumps steer. We did this conversion on a E30 M3 last week, to gain better brake options. One of the ways to solve this issue is to buy special control arms with the strut ball joint shank lengthened. These are available from someone, but I forgot who. They run $1200 for a set. Any Questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Matts M3
                        don't forget about roll center and bump steer. If you add E36 struts and have a lowered E30, the control arm will have a severe slant downward from the subframe balljoint to the strut balljoint. So with this situation, when you take a turn agressively, the control arm tends to want to "buckle" and "bind" itself. This in turn moves some forces to the tie rod, creating bumps steer. We did this conversion on a E30 M3 last week, to gain better brake options. One of the ways to solve this issue is to buy special control arms with the strut ball joint shank lengthened. These are available from someone, but I forgot who. They run $1200 for a set. Any Questions?
                        WTF!?!?!?

Can you please clarify that a bit more, doesn't sound correct at all.
                        And it sounds like you are heading a bit off topic when talking about modified control arms & tie rods etc...
                        We are talking about a simple 5 lug swap, not a 5 lug swap and race car setup.

OT.
                        If you are (for what ever reason) getting bump steer it will be because the tie rod & control arm are not operating in the same plane any more.
                        You can rectify this with GC tie rods (outer bearing is height adjustable) or raise/lower the steering rack on the subframe.
                        If you are running modified control arms (to raise the roll center on a severly lowered E30) you will obviously need modified tie rods (such as the GC ones) to prevent excessive bump steer!!
                        Last edited by E30-323ti; 05-14-2006, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                          The rear is ok to use, and will bolt right up.

Front is garbage.
                          so whats so bad about using 318ti front hubs, calipers, etc??

Comment

Originally posted by SpunkyE30nOk View Post
                            so whats so bad about using 318ti front hubs, calipers, etc??

that you don't use it for dirt cheap!?

Comment

Awesome thread guys, saved.
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X