Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Clean Your ICV-(Air Stabilizer Valve)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Clean Your ICV-(Air Stabilizer Valve)

I had some sketchy idle problems the other day, after a can of seafoam I threw in the towel and decided on cleaning out the ICV, or as the Bentley bible calls it the "Air Stabilizer Valve". So Off to Autozone I went, Here's what you will need/What I used:

• Carb Cleaner
    • Engine Degreaser
    • Flashlight(depending on where your working)
    • Wire Cutters
    • An appropriately sized hose clamp
    • Q-Tips
    • #10 wrench for getting the ICV mount off
    • 5/16" sized wrench to clamp the hose clamp

***All pics below text for easier reading of DIY***

First things first, I went into the project with Bentley in hand. Here's the thing your going to be removing and cleaning. The Bentley didn't go into much detail so I figured why not make a DIY while I'm at it.

First thing your going to want to take off is the electrical connection. It's sorta hidden but not hard to find, pull up on the two tabs and then pull the connector off.

Now you will see the two hose clamps that will need to be taken off. I found it easier to take off the piece that mounts the ICV to the engine to help be able to move the ICV easier to get out of the hoses. The far clamp came off no effort and the factory crimp clamp was a bitch, so thats where the Wire cutters come in, just hack the thing off.

After realizing I didn't have the right size hose clamp I jumped in the Turbo and off to Autozone again I went. The digital calipers read about 1.4" for the hose diameter so try to find a clamp that is 1.5".

Originally posted by BergerNJ View Post
    those factory clamps are actually a standard for use in irrigation work and can be used any funny pipe/rubber hose.

when I do repair work on any hoses or pipes when working irrigation, the EASIEST way to get those clamps off is to grab where you can see where it was crimped inwards and twist. It should snap easily, and if it doesn't give it one or two more twists....Cutting them is actually harder.

Depending on the icv, if it has a metal shroud/inlet then your safe in doing this. If its plastic, I am unsure, I would recommend cutting and not possibly over tightening the clamp to the point you crack or break the icv

using them when twisting off makes it super easy
    After getting back and making sure the hose clamp fits you now can get on to the cleaning. You will notice there is an intake from the intake boot and the exhaust part of the valve that points parallel to the engine when mounted. I took my spray and carefully and slowly allowed the cleaner to barely squirt out of the included spray nozzle and let it just drop out of the bottom hole*See picture for this to make complete sense*

Now put some engine degreaser on a rag and rub the outside of the ICV to make it all nice and half-shiny looking. Why not clean the outside too?

Let it dry for about an hour (Take a nap, oder some pizza and a drink of your choice, the hardest part is over) before installing back on the intake. I let my car sit for another 6 hours before I started it back up and drove it around the block. Installation is the reverse of disassembly.

Below is my parts getter when the e30 is down. S60 Turbo FTW.

The hardest part is done! Now to wait and eat.......

Last edited by e30pwr; 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM.

Thanks for making this DIY. Really useful. How did it work out for you? Make things better? Your ICV looked pretty grimy inside.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Comment

It helped a Lot!

I cleaned mine on my 1988 325IS, it was in a little different location and different mount. But, same cleaning procedure. It really settled my idle down to a steady 700+/- RPM.

Try, you can't loose!

Comment

I'm waiting for mine to dry out fully as I type. Hopefully I didn't ruin it because I kinda douched the thing out pretty hard.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
        ~ John Adams ~

Comment

i cleaned mine, and the car seemed to idle much soother

7speedshop.com

Comment

personally i have never had any luck cleaning icv's. I tried it on my e28 with no luck and same on my eta. there used to be a diy on unofficialbmw.com about cleaning them looks like the link doesn't work anymore though. the author mentioned that according to bmw carb cleaner can damage the icv and that you aren't supposed to clean them. i've never seen a difference either way though.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
              there used to be a diy on unofficialbmw.com about cleaning them looks like the link doesn't work anymore though. the author mentioned that according to bmw carb cleaner can damage the icv and that you aren't supposed to clean them. i've never seen a difference either way though.
              I do not know if carb cleaner will damage a ICV or not it, before I spend $140 for a new one on my 325ISm, I cleaned it! If it damages it and I buy a new one, I have lost nothing. If it cleans and fixes my idle, I have saved $140!
              So far mine is working fine after cleaning. :D

Comment

BMW tells you not to clean them with carb cleaner because it WILL fix them, and then they can't sell you a new one! I clean them all the time, never had an issue with it. Just make sure NOT to lube it when you are done (no spraying WD-40 or anything in there...) as it needs some resistance in the flapper.
                '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                  I'm waiting for mine to dry out fully as I type. Hopefully I didn't ruin it because I kinda douched the thing out pretty hard.
                  so how did yours come out? i was going to do mine, but its all dark and cold now. tomorrow morning......
                  1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                  1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                  1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                  1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                  1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                  I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreus View Post
                    so how did yours come out? i was going to do mine, but its all dark and cold now. tomorrow morning......
                    Car runs still. Mine wasn't that dirty, I could tell it had been replaced previously. I'd go for it.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

cleaning out the trottle body in much the same manner will help smoothness/power under load (not idleing)
                      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                        cleaning out the trottle body in much the same manner will help smoothness/power under load (not idleing)
                        That's what I need. Is there a DIY on it?

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                          That's what I need. Is there a DIY on it?
                          get some TB cleaner and an old toothbrush... take off the air boot... get to work!
                          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I like the size of the hose clamp wrote on your hand.

Made me lol

Andy
                            -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                              get some TB cleaner and an old toothbrush... take off the air boot... get to work!
                              Thanks for the DIY, I say it should be a sticky ;)

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Working...
                              X