My 5-lug swap build (z3m content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 5-lug swap build (z3m content)

Hey everyone! So I just picked up an mcoupe rear end for stupid cheap yesterday so I need to gather parts for the rest of the swap.

Parts acquired so far:
    Z3m trailing arms, axles, calipers, rotors, and stub axles.

What I plan on getting:
    E36 m3 front - I already have the THR lollipops.
    -97-99 Control arms
    -97-99 spindle
    -New hubs
    -Centric rebuilt calipers
    -stainless steel lines (e36???)
    -front strut housings
    -New e30 camber plates.

Now, I'm assuming that I need a new master cylinder (optimally the m3 one) but I've read that it doesn't fit on the booster (which is stock).

So do I need a 7 series 25 mm? Anything else I'm forgetting?

I'm also considering getting rid of my turner j stock setup for a coilover setup.
    Midwest Spec E30 #64

https://www.facebook.com/thestickergarage

E36s besides 95 M3 have full struts, not housings and inserts like an E30 as I noticed you had listed strut inserts.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
      E36s besides 95 M3 have full struts, not housings and inserts like an E30 as I noticed you had listed strut inserts.
      Sure about that? I know that my old 98 m3 had strut housings with inserts. I know that coilovers don't use the stock housing, or it gets modified for adjustability.
      Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

Perhaps I'm thinking on M3?
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

You have to cut the strut open remove the guts and then add an insert if you plan to go that method. Many a write up on how to install a set of Koni Inserts into a set of e36 struts. At the same time have the threaded preches put on them from GC and be done with them.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

From what I've seen online and on non-M E36s I've messed with is that they are a one piece strut that you can cut open for aftermarket strut inserts that fit flush inside the housings and have to have a hole cut in the bottom to add a retaining screw as they do not have a gland nut on the top. Were the struts on your M3 replaced before you got it?

As I said, I have limited real experience with E36s. If you cut open the stock E36 front struts and remove the stock inserts, weld on some GC adjusters/springs and put in Koni inserts that would likely be a low cost coilover system. You could, however also just get an off the shelf system.

An E30M3 master cylinder would match up better than stock for the larger front and rear brakes, but some people forgo it, depends on your usage of the car, I suppose.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              You have to cut the strut open remove the guts and then add an insert if you plan to go that method. Many a write up on how to install a set of Koni Inserts into a set of e36 struts. At the same time have the threaded preches put on them from GC and be done with them.
              Haha, you posted that while I was off cooking lunch :p That's how I thought it worked.

OP: I found this for you:

This is a quick how to video showing how to modify stock E36 M3 struts for the installation of Koni strut inserts.

Also, you could use blown E36 shocks to cut the tops off of and use the top of your E30 housings that are threaded for the gland nut to reuse your E30 inserts if you want to.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

If you use E36 M struts you are extremely limited in 16" wheel sizes or use 17" and bigger wheels.

Do you need these brakes? or five lug or is this for asthetics?
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

If you use E36 M struts you are extremely limited in 16" wheel sizes or use 17" and bigger wheels. <br />
                  <br />
                  Do you need these brakes? or five lug or is this for asthetics?
                  I do need the brakes. The car has an s50 swap and will see plenty of track time. My first event with the car last fall was what made me decide to upgrade the brakes. With pfc06s, I saw brake fade in only 5ish laps with new fluid.
                  Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

So will I need e30 stainless lines or e36 ones?
                    Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

My e30 lines matched right up to the m e36 calipers.
                      There weren't any e36 struts with removable inserts that I've seen. Like said, you have to cut them to install konis or use vw corrado strut inserts like aptyp did.. which makes for a shorter shock housing, reducing bottoming out. I want to upgrade to this setup. I have 94/95(?) E36 non m bilsteins that I converted to coil over with GC parts. The early e36 used the m style swaybar link, which is why I chose that strut. Plus they were cheap on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                        My e30 lines matched right up to the m e36 calipers.
                        There weren't any e36 struts with removable inserts that I've seen. Like said, you have to cut them to install konis or use vw corrado strut inserts like aptyp did.. which makes for a shorter shock housing, reducing bottoming out. I want to upgrade to this setup. I have 94/95(?) E36 non m bilsteins that I converted to coil over with GC parts. The early e36 used the m style swaybar link, which is why I chose that strut. Plus they were cheap on ebay
                        Thanks, yeah I think I'm just going to pick up a pair of used e36 m3 strut housings and gut them. Then do the GC coilover conversion and reuse my j stock dampers.
                        Midwest Spec E30 #64

Comment

J stock dampers for an e30? they will not fit an e36 housing. E30 Ix ones do, though

Comment

Don't the inserts that can go into gutted E36 struts need to have a bolt on the bottom to hold them in from below? I've read of using the top portions of E30 struts so you have a threaded portion for a gland nut to hold the inserts in.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                              Don't the inserts that can go into gutted E36 struts need to have a bolt on the bottom to hold them in from below? I've read of using the top portions of E30 struts so you have a threaded portion for a gland nut to hold the inserts in.

Youre right with both statements I believe, but the e30 insert wont work with the e36 strut, unless its an IX insert, from what ive seen

Comment

Working...
                              X