E30 Coupe Complete Rebuild + M60B40 Conversion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been working on this build for a few months now and have taken lots of pictures so thought I would share them up here and keep a bit of a build journal.

I picked up this 318i from a guy who works on BMWS and had this one sitting in a vacant block next to where he lives. It was pretty well a bare shell with no bars, no engine, and no interior other than a very cracked dash and instrument cluster. But it was very straight, with minimal rust. I then picked up a 325i coupe that had a m20 with a blown head gasket but pretty well all the interior, a rear bar, and popout windows. This thing \/ \/ was riddled with rust though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170609_123513.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	7250292

Hopefully some will get some enjoyment out of the build journal like I have enjoyed building it to this point.
    Last edited by E30Bug; 06-08-2017, 07:48 PM.

E30 Coupe Complete Rebuild + M60B40 Conversion

Needed to just make a start so thought I'd start in the engine bay. That didn't last for too long though as I started to think bigger engines.

Name:	IMG_6371.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	7191042

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	7191043

Ideas and desires started to change along the way. I was originally going to put a M30B35 in it but then thought nah, just whack a M60B40 in it if your going to go to that much trouble.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by E30Bug; 06-08-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I ended up selling the donor M30B35 car and made a bit of money on it which enabled me to get the M60B40 engine.

Name:	IMG_6743.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	7191030

Name:	IMG_6373.jpg
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7191029

The M60B40 was very dirty when I got it. Many years of grime built up on it.

Name:	IMG_6762.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	7191031

I cleaned it up a bit with the jet wash.

Name:	IMG_6847.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	7191032

More build pics to come.
      Last edited by E30Bug; 06-07-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Hello fellow M60-r.
        My swap is in progress too, looking forward to your thread.
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
        1988 340iL - Track car
        My M60 V8 swap thread here
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
          Hello fellow M60-r.
          My swap is in progress too, looking forward to your thread.
          Just had a look at your thread, nice!

You're a lot further ahead than me mate, so I'll be following to see what I can pick up haha.

Looking good. Love the colour of your valve covers, and that light weight flywheel.

Comment

Bit of rust in the normal places. The rest of the car is really good though.

Name:	IMG_6638.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	7191035

Name:	IMG_6674.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	7191034

Name:	IMG_6718.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7191036

Engine brackets and mounts arrived so time to test fit the engine and work out where to beat the firewall in.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 35.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	7191058

Name:	IMG_6765.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	7191038
            Last edited by E30Bug; 06-09-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I'm looking forward to following your build.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Seems like the the 318's and early model e30's had the fuel filter in the engine bay like that. I moved mine in front of the driver side (US) rear wheel just below the fuel pump like the 325i's had. Just a heads up, you'll likely want to do the same (it was really easy to move)

Good luck on the swap!

Just noticed you're a RHD car too. Curious to see what needed for your drivers side exhaust manifold!

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  I'm looking forward to following your build.
                  Thanks mate. I have to say , I had found your build a while back and it along with others has inspired me to do the swap. Looks fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                    Seems like the the 318's and early model e30's had the fuel filter in the engine bay like that. I moved mine in front of the driver side (US) rear wheel just below the fuel pump like the 325i's had. Just a heads up, you'll likely want to do the same (it was really easy to move)

Good luck on the swap!

Just noticed you're a RHD car too. Curious to see what needed for your drivers side exhaust manifold!
                    Thanks for that mate, yes I will have to do the same with mine. Have been checking out your swap too. So much for me still to do. I love the 340i badge on yours.

As far as the exhaust manifolds go, I had purchased the Garagistic ones as they were confident they would still work on a RHD car, but they did not. The passenger side (your drivers side) runs straight in towards the starter motor mounting hole (yes ours is on that side) and the other side fouls up with the steering colum. I have sent these back for a refund and I'm now getting some custom made headers done which will be just like the Ergen headers below but half the price. I'm looking forward to seeing these done.

Name:	Screenshot_2017-05-30-06-53-29.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	7191041
                    Last edited by E30Bug; 06-08-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Cleaned all the front crossmember and Diff carrier up and etch primed them just to stop surface rust forming on them as I still had to weld all the strengthening bits on them which I made myself.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 41.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	7191059

Took a lot of wire wheel work to get the crossmember cleaned up.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 3.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	7191053

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 4.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7191054

I will clean all the welds up and make them look pretty.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 5.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7191055

In hinesight I could have made this strengthening plate a bit wider but I still think it is plenty strong enough.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 6.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7191056
                      Last edited by E30Bug; 06-10-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bug View Post
                        Thanks mate. I have to say , I had found your build a while back and it along with others has inspired me to do the swap. Looks fantastic.
                        Thanks man, nice to know all this work is helping others.

Originally posted by E30Bug View Post
                        Thanks for that mate, yes I will have to do the same with mine. Have been checking out your swap too. So much for me still to do. I love the 340i badge on yours.

As far as the exhaust manifolds go, I had purchased the Garagistic ones as they were confident they would still work on a RHD car, but they did not. The passenger side (your drivers side) runs straight in towards the starter motor mounting hole (yes ours is on that side) and the other side fouls up with the steering colum. I have sent these back for a refund and I'm now getting some custom made headers done which will be just like the Ergen headers below but half the price. I'm looking forward to seeing these done.

[ATTACH]114788[/ATTACH]
                        If they work on LHD also, I bet you could sell them fairly successfully.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Thanks man, nice to know all this work is helping others.

If they work on LHD also, I bet you could sell them fairly successfully.
                          Yeah I reckon they would, but it's hard to set up for a LHD car here. There could be plenty of guys here in Australia that would be keen for a set though.

Comment

So after the first trial fit of the engine I had to take it out and do some more beating of the firewall and leading edge of the tunnel as my engine sits a bit higher.

Name:	Engine on Hoist.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7191060

I needed to massage the firewall up higher than in this picture to allow for the water pipe outlet that runs across the back of the engine to clear.

Name:	Firewall.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	7191061

My engine sits up a bit higher due to the engine mounts I'm using which are e39 525TDS motor mounts (part number: 22111094248). They are 3cm higher and give the needed clearance for the bigger e36 steering rack I'm putting in. These aren't available here in Australia so had to order them from the UK. Of course you can probably use some from Garagistic that are the same height but I deliberately chose to use rubber mounts here for the engine and gearbox as I didn't want too much drivetrain vibration/harshness. I'm using poly stuff everywhere else though.

e39 525TDS motor mounts

Name:	Engine Mounts.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	7191064

And its in.

Not for long though, still have to finish all the engine bay shave, and rebuild the engine, but more on that later.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 14.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7191063

Name:	Engine position.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	7191062
                            Last edited by E30Bug; 06-09-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Well I decided to leave the engine rebuild for a while, and there are a few things I need to think about for the engine bay, so while I was waiting for some more parts to arrive for suspension and drivetrain, and to save up some more money, I decided to start on the underside of the shell.

I knew this was going to be a huge undertaking and painful, so I determined in my mind to attack it and keep going until it was finished. Just over 40 hours later it was done.

To do this job I decided I needed to put the shell on a rotisserie. I ended up making one out of two $80 engine stands.

Name:	Underside R3VLimited 20.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	7191067

Now to start on that body deadener

Name:	Shell Rotissorie.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	7191065

I found the best way to get this off was with an angle grinder with a big coarse wire wheel on it. It is one messy job and not for the light hearted!

Name:	Grinding wheels.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	7191068

Name:	Grinding Underbody 1.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7191069
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by E30Bug; 06-10-2017, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X