E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Best aero mods for an E30? Pretty simple, look at an M3, all done by the factory,tested, and race approved. The rear window and trunk lid made a huge difference in reducing drag. That alone lowered the CoD from 0.39 to 0.33, front splitter and airdam? Evo 2 airdam with Evo3 splitter. Seal up all the gaps around the hood and grill, (all stock evo parts that can be ordered with little trouble.)

Will
    I've always thought it would be a neat experiment to slap on all the M3 drag reducing aero bits (Evo valences, rubber seals, rear windows, trunk, etc.) on a 318is just to see if the MPG is better. I can't decide if M3 C-pillars, rear window and trunk (sans spoiler) would look weird and cool without the box flares or just weird and ugly.
    diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
      I've always thought it would be a neat experiment to slap on all the M3 drag reducing aero bits (Evo valences, rubber seals, rear windows, trunk, etc.) on a 318is just to see if the MPG is better. I can't decide if M3 C-pillars, rear window and trunk (sans spoiler) would look weird and cool without the box flares or just weird and ugly.
      It would look different. Lets put it this way I can get about 28 mpg on the freeway with the rear spoiler extended (I tried running it in closed position and seem to get worse mileage) at an average speed of 75 mph. This is on an engine that is a little tired. I've pulled well over 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I'd be really interested to see what it could do with a fresh motor.

I have the Evo hood seals, the Evo front seal across the top of the grill, below the hood, and I also have the one for the bumper, but its still sitting in a box.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I keep dreaming of a diffuser... thinking that could add some good downforce without adding much drag...
        I don't think I have ever seen one on an e30.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
          I keep dreaming of a diffuser... thinking that could add some good downforce without adding much drag...
          I don't think I have ever seen one on an e30.
          DO IT!

I keep dreaming of building a chopped (bout 2.5inches) e30 showcar, M style trunk, modded C pillar like an M-ish, integrated cage (bars IN the pillars), my interpretation of M fenders, bags, S65...
          Last edited by DER E30; 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM.
          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
          Originally posted by roguetoaster
          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I run a Brooks Pro wing with a plywood splitter. Gave me about 1.5s per lap. I run the wing with barely any AOA. It's amazing how affective it is on high speed corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris916 View Post
              I run a Brooks Pro wing with a plywood splitter. Gave me about 1.5s per lap. I run the wing with barely any AOA. It's amazing how affective it is on high speed corners.

That car is great.

Comment

You wanted an E30 with a rear diffuser? This isn't the greatest pic, but it has one.

Upon closer look, he has vortex generators as well as a really tall spoiler.
                Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Awesome :up: I like the LED light bar.
                  -Christian

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Wow that is ugly... but I bet it all works together quite well. Spoiler reminds me of the old Chaparral cars.

Comment

You wanted an E30 with a rear diffuser? This isn't the greatest pic, but it has one.

Upon closer look, he has vortex generators as well as a really tall spoiler.
                      Will
                      Oh, yeah, baby!!!
                      That is wicked. It has side skirts as well... I would love to see more detailed photos of this one or similar. In future, we will likely be redeveloping my brother's specE30 into something more, and I am fascinated by this sort of aero. I discovered F1 in the skirted years of the late 1970s, and now lots of 18 wheelers are even using skirts... anyone who has good/detailed pics of diffusers and skirts on e30s, please post them!

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Andrew Lang is the owner of the white car.
                        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I'm wondering if there would be a positive or negative effect from removing the spare tire well, fitting flat sheet metal in place to cover the hole, and then trim the metal under the rear bumper. Basically make the entire area behind the axle flat, removing any protrusions under the back of the car.

With the rule changes in ChumpCar for this year, we are losing the plexi rear windows (and sweet wing) and now I'm looking for ways to balance out the aero drag.
                          Ben
                          Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                          April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                          May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                          October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                          October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                          Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by NigelStu View Post
                            I'm wondering if there would be a positive or negative effect from removing the spare tire well, fitting flat sheet metal in place to cover the hole, and then trim the metal under the rear bumper. Basically make the entire area behind the axle flat, removing any protrusions under the back of the car.

With the rule changes in ChumpCar for this year, we are losing the plexi rear windows (and sweet wing) and now I'm looking for ways to balance out the aero drag.
                            Have you looked under the back of an M3? You can't see the spare tire well, the exhaust wraps around the outside of it and its pretty smooth. Sure things could be better, but for a factory setup, its pretty well done. No doubt with some custom fabrication one could clean things up even more.

On the topic of spare tire well deletion, some of the guys with racing Alfa GTVs have both eliminated the spare tire well and the fuel tank only to find the car was slower with a bad case of high speed rear end lift. Granted, two different cars, but its possible you could encounter the same thing. In the case of vintage racing however, you can't build a diffuser under there.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

I don't know how much cutting out the spare tire well would help - if anything I'd figure the air would catch the rear bumper/valence faster & harder. Full body undertrays, on the other hand, really do intrigue me:

Not really sure how feasible/reasonable this would be on our cars though

Comment

Buy some plastic! Or snag a giant political ad board thing after an election? You know, one of those things that says "Obama for pres" or whatever... They're just gonna get thrown away anyway.
                                -Christian

Comment

Working...
                                X