Cabrio Windscreen Rehab!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabrio Windscreen Rehab!

I recently acquired a OEM windscreen for my cabrio but the mesh was stained and had holes in it. So I set out to find suitable replacement mesh and figure out how to successfully replace it. My frame also had a bend in it but with the mesh removed I was able to gently bend it back into shape. What I ended up with is a better than new windscreen!!

I found that the material that worked best for me is called Poly Mesh. It is a jersey type material and you can find it in various colors and various hole/perforation sizes. I used a black material with smaller holes which resembles the original material. I also bought white material that I am tempted to have silk screened with a custom design for the upright screen.

* This procedure is much easier if you separate the two halves of the screen by removing the phillips head screw on either side of the screen.

First locate the seem of the rubber strip. Use a small flat head screw driver to gently pry out one end of the locking rubber strip. Once you have one end loose pull it completely out.

After the lock strip is removed the screen is free and should fall out easily.
    In this picture you can see the bend in the frame.

Next lay the new material over the frame and align the pattern on the material with the frame as best as you can. It helps if you have someone help hold tension on the fabric as you start the lock strip. Don't worry about pulling it tight at this point you just want it straight and equally stretched all the way around. Work the lock strip back into the frame but don't push it completely down. It will take a little bit of massaging to get the fabric and locking strip in perfectly. DO NOT PUSH THE LOCK STRIP COMPLETELY IN AT THIS POINT!

Once you are happy with the placement of both the strip and fabric, use a new razor blade to trim the excess fabric. Trim it just below the cap of the T shaped lock strip. Once it is trimmed use something to press the lock strip down, I used a rolling pin with great success. Now your are done!

Before:

After:

And Installed:

Thanks for looking! I hope this helps someone!
    450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Great job. That looks fantastic.

I recommend replacing those phillips screws with flathead type screws so it doesn't tear your door cards.
    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Looks great. Now get on that back seat..:p
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

^ Already on it! I am just waiting on my kit from Kevin Chinn to be completed! I am not good at build threads but I will unveil the end result of the complete transformation of my cabrio at the May 12th BBQ!

Comment

Thanks for the write up!

My screen has a small hole that I tried to sew and it is a little stained too.

It never occurred to me that the material could be replaced.

Nice job. Thanks!

Comment

^I'm glad it helped! For less than $10 in material this is a great way to fix your screen. Plus the poly mesh material is really strong, UV and Fade resistant, Virtually stain proof, and strong. Also if you want to customize your screen the fabric stores have almost any color you could ever want.

Comment

God i want one of these. And not one of the flimsy lookinng aftermarket ones. Great write up.
              TWELVE HAMMERS

Comment

Excellent write up. These wind screens are the cats ass for any vert. Doing a custom one could be interesting. Here is a pic of mine:

Comment

Where can one find a windscreen like these???? I am very interested in one...

Comment

Props for an excellent writeup!

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Hey-U View Post
                      Excellent write up. These wind screens are the cats ass for any vert. Doing a custom one could be interesting. Here is a pic of mine:

how did you do this?

excellent write up! May I ask where you sourced the polymesh?

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
                      Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
                      I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Originally posted by IminDiegoTriick View Post
                        how did you do this?

Comment

Originally posted by IminDiegoTriick View Post
                          how did you do this?

My local fabric store had it for $2.99 a yard. I only used approx 2yds for the entire screen

Comment

you are the man. I need this bad. Mine was damaged during shipping. I was going to call audi, bmw etc and see if they sold just the material but this is much more affordable. This will also help with my idea of making a snap on and off rear window screen for the softop. :-)
                            Last edited by GT BMW E30; 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

If anyone else does this post up your pics here!

Comment

Working...
                              X