No announcement yet.

Help Choosing a Clutch for S54 + ZF 320Z Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW used DMF's for years, including on some E30s - so I'm not sure that statement has any validity.

If going with a LTW flywheel on an S54, I'd consider upgrading the harmonic damper. Mainly because the DMF is so much heavier, that alone absorbs some of the harmonics.

as far as it causing transmission damage - I'm sure it reduces some shock on the drivetrain. But the flywheels themselves wear out faster and need replaced, and also cost far more. Solid flywheels are typically used with sprung hub clutch disks, so it's not like there's no damping capability.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Was there ever a definitive answer to this?

Will an s54 with e46 m3 flywheel and PP work with a sprung e34 m5 s38b36 pressure plate? I'm using the 5 speed 328i/m3 ZF gearbox.

Thank you.

Comment

I have always been told to use the flywheel that matches up with your tranny. I am running a zf 320 with a e36 M3 LTW flywheel and pressureplate behind my S54 and other then installing the clutch disk backwards it works flawlessly( although it is a bit rattly). Making other combos work is a matter of overall thickness of assembly bolt pattern of FW and pressure plate and the proper TO bearing. That is stuff that can be measured and compared but if it were me I would say get an upgraded e36 Ltw flywheel and clutch assembly and go with that. They are cheap. Relatively speaking
        1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
        5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

I found that the springs on the hub of the E34 M5 clutch I bought interfere with the E46 M3 pressure plate's self adjusting mechanism.
          Can an E36 M3 or E34 M5 pressure plate bolt up to an E46 M3 flywheel.

Edit: I ended up purchasing an E36 M3/Z3M S54 clutch disk and plan on using it with my E46 M3 flywheel and pressure plate.
          Last edited by R3VM3UP; 09-06-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
            I found that the springs on the hub of the E34 M5 clutch I bought interfere with the E46 M3 pressure plate's self adjusting mechanism.
            Can an E36 M3 or E34 M5 pressure plate bolt up to an E46 M3 flywheel.

Edit: I ended up purchasing an E36 M3/Z3M S54 clutch disk and plan on using it with my E46 M3 flywheel and pressure plate.
            so how did this setup work for you? considering the same thing.
            /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

The OEM setup on an S54 Z3M is the Euro E36 flywheel with the E36 M3 clutch kit (disc and pressure plate)

Comment

Everything bolted together find with my setup and didn't make any strange noises, etc at startup. Vehicle is not on the road just yet.

The combo that Terra suggested is the factory combo that is known to work but there should be plenty of others that will work as well. IIRC you can't use a regular E36 M3 pressure plate with the E46 S54 flywheel because the bolt pattern is different.

Comment

Quick update, I drove the car with this setup for the first time recently and so far everything seems to work great. Here's the complete setup:
                  S54
                  E46 M3 OE flywheel
                  E36 M3 Clutch
                  E46 M3 OE pressure plate
                  E36 M3 throw out bearing
                  ZF 5spd from E36 328i
                  E30 318is stock master cylinder
                  E46 slave cylinder

Comment

Working...
                  X