POR15 still the best for floors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up the interior and almost have all of the old sound deadening removed. Just one quarter sized rust hole on the passenger side so thankfully nothing major! Is POR15 still the go-to coating for resealing floors these days? Lastly, how do I go about getting the big floor plugs back in properly? Can I coat both the floor and the plugs and then just pop them back in, or is some sealant between the two necessary? Thanks!

Picture for reference:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180906_135946.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	7197706

Comment

Used this to seal a small section of floor pan I had to cut out/weld:

Rust Bullet offers superior rust prevention for vehicles compared to alternative rust inhibitor coatings. Top-rated rust repair solutions, trusted by experts.

Only a small scale application, but seems like a decent product.

Comment

After using POR15 to stop rust you can use the goo with fiberglass mat to seal up holes. Wear gloves though as it it has to wear off your skin
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I think people use POR15 in a lot of cases where they shouldn't. POR15 is a rust encapsulator, and is designed to be used on rusty surfaces. From what I hear, it actually doesn't work well on clean and pristine surfaces, and sometimes will peel off. I've also heard that it is very difficult to remove if, for whatever reason, you want it gone later on. It's not a one size fits all product, rather, it's a product for a specific situation.

I would repair the rust hole with new metal, treat any surface rust with naval jelly (Loctite makes some), and then prep it and prime/paint over it normally.

Comment

I've used chasis saver rust paint pretty for pretty much all my rust repair, its been holding up great over the past 3 years
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

After going through a few different strategies trying to repaint some parts on the underside of my 533i, I ended up using Rustoleum truck bed liner with excellent results on a cover plate that goes on the bellhousing under the engine. It's not as thick as you'd actually want on a truck bed, so it's not too heavy, and it's a really tough coating. I cleaned up the metal with roloc scotch brite pads and a die grinder, primed with self-etching primer, and sprayed the bed liner on.

If you can clean up the metal, I recommend this approach. Obviously a floor is a lot larger than a little cover plate, so it's a big task. Roll-on bed liner is probably easier to use for this application than spray-on, too.

Comment

If you want the best undercoating you can't beat 3M Body Schutz. It's the OEM stuff for a bunch of manufacturers. You can get a cheap gun for it on eBay, shit is nails. Better than anything I've ever used from an auto parts stores
                1991 318is ---230K - DD
                1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I have used POR15 on surface rust and surrounding areas and it seems to hold up very well on both. Like any paint project, preparation is key, and with POR15 it is CRITICAL. Along with following the directions to the letter. I let the area dry overnight after cleaning and prep. It can be a bit finicky to work with but done properly, it works very well.

Get a box of disposable gloves, once that stuff gets on you it is very difficult to remove. Add to your list, disposable brushes, use them once then toss them. I recommend purchasing the 6 pack of little containers. Once you open the can, the re-sealed can does not store well.
                  2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

As to the plug, I'd seal it with seam sealer, like the factory did.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Rust bullet then cosmoline over top.
                      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I used Eastwood brush on rust encapsulator on my floor.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post
                          Cleaning up the interior and almost have all of the old sound deadening removed. Just one quarter sized rust hole on the passenger side so thankfully nothing major! Is POR15 still the go-to coating for resealing floors these days? Lastly, how do I go about getting the big floor plugs back in properly? Can I coat both the floor and the plugs and then just pop them back in, or is some sealant between the two necessary? Thanks!

Why por15? It's ok when you are trying to seal the rust but sealing the rust it's not the ideal route if rust can be removed. I would just wirebrush any surface rust and used the epoxy primer and paint to treat the exposed metal.
                          Also why everyone go as far as removing factory body plugs and OEM deadening material? You will never do it as good as OEM, no matter what yo do. If there is no rust (like in your pic), let it be. Not only it will be OEM original but will last another 30 years.

I had two rust holes in my floor, one in the passenger front side (exhaust heat shield stud) and one on the passenger side of the middle console. I cut, welded 1.5" sheet metal patch and primed/seam sealed/primed/painted it. Console side rust repair was a little more complicated since there is a transmission mounting rail/panel welded from the under the car. No way to access the cavity to treat welded patch from under the car. I elected just to cut the rust out in the shape of rubber firewall/floor plug, treat edges with epoxy primer/paint and plug the hole with the rubber plug. You can find all kinds of plugs that are about the size of the rust spot.
                          My jeep has rubber plugs all over the floor by design with no issues of any kind. They make hosing down the floor very easy job.I think it is obviously much better approach than welding patch and not be able to treat the weld
                          Last edited by zaq123; 10-03-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

1st, 2nd pics, round sheet metal patch welded, exhaust shield stud welded to its center under the car, all welds wirebrushed, primed with epoxy primer, seam sealed, primed again and painted to match the body color.

3rd pic is the rubber plug approach (plug is not installed yet). You can see from the pic why welding is not the best choice here. Plug will be installed with tar cord, similar what BMW uses to seal gas filler boot to the rear quarter panel.

No more rust on this car. The body is in excellent shape for the northern car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by zaq123; 10-03-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X