Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to Prep on S52 Pre-Swap

Hi All,

I recently purchased an S52 motor and transmission out of a 109k mile '98 M3 sedan (also came with the wiring harness and ECU. Other than the mileage, the only other thing I know is that the clutch is new. Although everything seems to look good visually, what's recommended to go ahead and change on the motor itself prior to even starting to think about modifications for the swap?

I see random posts here and there which talk about belts, gaskets and hoses. But what else would be smart to go ahead and replace while at it?

It would be a good idea to do the VANOS seals: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

If the engine spent a lot of time at high RPM, or if you want to track the car extensively, you may want to replace the upper spring plates and split collet retainers. The S52 should have hardened retainers, being a 1998, but even the revised parts can drop a valve.

These are all parts that you can replace if you're going to do a cam swap, which is a great modification. If you do a cam swap it'd be a good idea to replace the hydraulic valve adjusters.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Look into OPN (oil pump nut) measures and possible cracked oil pick up tube issues.

Comment

Rear main seal comes to mind whenever engine/transmission is out

Comment

I'd tack the oil pump nut, check the chain tensioner/guides, do the rear main seal with the kit (+ input seal on the trans and clutch pivot pin)
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'm copying stuff from another thread. So this stuff below and timing chain stuff as mentioned above is a super solid start.

Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
            Regardless of what that person ended up replacing you should do what is below. This should take care of most, if not all of the common preventive maintenance items that would be hard to get to once the engine is installed. I went above and beyond this list but this, to me, is the bare minimum. If you removed the exhaust manifold I would put on new gaskets there. I would also put new gaskets on the intake manifold.:

I would also weld the oil pump nut or get a nut with safety wire.

*I linked to ECSTuning since it's laid out nicely and has pictures. I would contact Dave at Blunt Tech and see if he can source things cheaper. His email is DealinDave@blunttech.com

If the engine has age/higher miles, VANOS seals. And if you have the mechanical know-how on top of it, head gasket. Better to do it now on a stand and have peace of mind.

Don't cheap out. Really, don't cheap out. Get BMW (Genuine) OEM parts. A lot of people complain about Victor Reinz products and lesser quality parts. You either pay for it now or you pay for it later, unless you don't plan on keeping the car very long after the swap. Here's a thread from a week ago complaining about this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=394723

Spend some time looking at build threads. The good threads, that are doing 24v swaps, will show you what people are replacing and what they are running into.

Oh, and you'll need this or something like this for when you're doing the valve cover gasket:https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1967642/
            E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Working...
            X