Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Delete Question

Hi Guys,

My E30 came with an E46 M3 steering rack with the power steering deleted. However, the previous owner did not install a power steering delete kit, he also didn't install back the two banjo bolts so there are two holes on the rack. My question is, instead of buying two banjo bolts and the power steering delete kit from condor or garagistic, can I simply buy two M14 x 1.5 bolts and plug the holes? or maybe can I use two rubber stoppers to plug the holes? or can i just leave those to holes alone? I'd rather not spend on something not needed. thanks in advance.

the banjo bolts have 2 holes going thru them. from what i remember condor delete kit also has 2 holes. id assume its to make room for whatever air or lubrication is in the rack.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      the banjo bolts have 2 holes going thru them. from what i remember condor delete kit also has 2 holes. id assume its to make room for whatever air or lubrication is in the rack.
      Would leaving the holes exposed be harmful?

Comment

Assume we are talking about this kit. Which seems to suggest that linking them together is a better option than blocking them completely.

Condor Speed Shop offers a high quality power steering delete which allows residual fluid and air to flow freely and more responsive steering! Check us out!

What I would do if i was inclined to remove the power steering, is get the banjo fittings off the old hoses, cut them up and just put a bit of rubber hose between the two fittings. if you have the old hoses this would be free, if you don't someone can probably give you some hoses or just buy the banjo fittings them selves from a hydraulics shop for pretty cheap.

personally i would put power steering back in.....

Comment

You have to let the air move in and out of the two sides of the rack, if you plug those holes you may not be able to turn the wheel since air will get compressed or create vacuum depending on which way your turning the wheel.

It’s not a good idea to leave the bolt holes open for a lengthy period of time because of contamination inside the rack. My son installed that condor kit that keeps the ability for air to move back and forth and keeping road grime out of the insides of the rack.
          My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
          I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

thanks for the responses, I think I'll just get a pair of m14x1.5 with barb fitting ends and just connect the two ends with a hose and call it a day. that way, the air will still freely move and the system will still be sealed, safe from contaminants.

Comment

The 2 banjo bolts are different sizes, M14 and M16.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
                The 2 banjo bolts are different sizes, M14 and M16.
                Wow, this is critical info. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

I left the banjo bolts and simply covered the holes with some holes. You don't need to loop the rack or fill it with fluid, it is internally lubricated.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    I left the banjo bolts and simply covered the holes with some holes. You don't need to loop the rack or fill it with fluid, it is internally lubricated.
                    How?

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                      How?
                      It's so easy.... you take an inner hole and you place an outer hole on top of it. The two holes cancel each other out!

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                        It's so easy.... you take an inner hole and you place an outer hole on top of it. The two holes cancel each other out!
                        They are not equal holes...how can they cancel out, i.e. 1 - 1 = 0?
                        Last edited by dnguyen1963; 10-04-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

One is a bore hole and the other is a clearance hole. You need the clearance to fit the cancellation. It is a typical rookie mistake to forget the clearance. You should never have to get out a hammer when cancelling holes, they should fit right the first time.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Here’s what I ended up doing. Using barb fittings and a hose, I connected the two holes. Came out less than 15 bucks total. Remember, I didn’t have the banjo bolts so this is still cheaper than buying both banjo bolts and the delete kit.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2dehmhuos/

Comment

But what happens to the self- lubrication when the holes cancel themselves out?

Doesn't it get... messy?

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X