P/V clearance... Just Clay'd... At .010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P/V clearance... Just Clay'd... At .010

I knew it was gonna be close. As I was past the service points on the head.

I measures the clearance to be .010 inches On the exhaust valves. So I need a bigger gasket. I have a +.03 on hand, can I get away with that??

My research says .04 is the limit. What say the gurus??
    Attached Files

More pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

The clay is soooo thin it's tough to measure... Nearly falling apart...

Comment

I would not feel comfortable going that thin.

Personally like to see AT LEAST 0.080"Int and 0.100"Exh at a bare minimum
        Last edited by SkiFree; 01-07-2016, 05:18 PM.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I have gone as close as .057" intake and .073" exhaust without issue in a 7000rpm engine and IE cam and over size valves, but that made me sweat a little. You see, your rods will stretch about .040" at high RPM's.

But, that's not what you have to be afraid of. Once the head is shaved past a total height of 4.909" the dome on the pistons will hit the head and take out your rod bearings. Put clay between the head and the piston, if the valves are that close, I am going to guess the pistons and head are going to kiss. The engine example I gave above had .045" between the head and piston dome.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

depending on what pistons youre using you either need to deepen the pockets or a thicker gasket, you dont want to open the squish unless it doesnt have any

according to catcams 1.5mm ptov is the preferred minimum
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

hmmm... i did the clay and did not see that it was close on the piston to the head. the thicker gasket I have is 2.05mm... that would put me at the theoretical minimum....

But I could order the play is safe MLS at .98"; that would give me another .40 and will be about .080 on the exhaust valves....

I am using stock pistons.

Comment

Stock cam? Not sure how you are at only .010" VTP and the pistons aren't touching the head. I have taken heads down too far in the past and we were out of a 14hr race in 2hr because of it, and the valves were fine, motor had great compression - but once we pulled the head we saw the evidence of contact.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

just had the cam ground to 272

Comment

problem is now I can't get a MLS gasket in the thickness I need for a week or two... I wanted to button this up this week!

Comment

Something doesn't sound right. The engine in my post above had a 272 cam as well. I've never had a 272 be that close.

Cam timing off?

Measure the total height of the head.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

So; My measurement of that was done with the old compressed 1.75 gasket.

If I move to a 2.05 with copper spray; Will that be enough? ... i'm guessing copper spray wont really add any thickness... But this is a game of .001s!!!
                        Last edited by korn; 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

i measure 4.895

... Cam timing was on, i did 4 full rotations on the crank with the clay, and timing stayed on...

Comment

measure piston to head clearance, 0.040" is a good number
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by korn View Post
                              i measure 4.895

... Cam timing was on, i did 4 full rotations on the crank with the clay, and timing stayed on...

Your head is shaved a full .014" past spec. If it is a factory head, you should have dots in the corners that indicate when it has been planed one too many times. 4.909" gives about .035" with a stock gasket, and the reason the thicker ones are available.

Check piston to head clearance again, as Digger said, shoot for .040", then worry about VTP clearance.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Working...
                              X