Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster

Read about this product a while ago and put it on my TO BUY list. Finally got one this past christmas as a gift. I was skeptical, which is why I asked for it as a gift. If the product claims were BS, I wouldn't be out any money.

The product falls in the Ignition Booster category of aftermarket performance upgrades. Product claims to increase the intensity of the secondary spark by installing the simple ad-on.

REVIEW:

Much to my surprise, this product really works. After installation, which is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 and should only take 10 minutes, idle had improved, as well as torque throughout the band (but especially low end torque). When I installed the product, it was the only modification I made (didn't replace any other part of the Ignition System) so I could be sure any results could be attributed to the Plasma Booster. The improved torque is based on my Butt Dyno, not a real one, but I assure you they are instantly noticeable. I wouldn't lie to you guys. How much improvement? Well, I swapped my stock Open 4.10 diff for a 3.91 viscous LSD from a 325ix. As expected, I lost a little low end torque (especially off the line) but this was made up for with improved economy. After installing Ignitions Solutions Plasma Booster, the car feels like I've got the 4.10 back in. Fuel economy is also supposed to improve and after one tank I can already notice, but further tracking will be required before I give it my stamp of approval. But if you're looking for a nice performance boost for little money ($150 - $165) and easy installation, then I'd highly recommend this product. Customer service from the manufacturer is great as well (if you call with a question and ask for Tech Support, there's a very high chance you'll be talking directly to Ulf, the designer). For more information visit www.ignitionsolutions.com For best purchase price, try eBay. Some eBay Stores are licensed distributors. My girlfriend got mine (she can't remember from which vendor but found them on eBay) for $150 + $6 shipping (no Sales Tax since out of state). Ignition Solutions sells them for $165 I think.

Enjoy (I know I do)

Jon

Bavauto.com has something like this and I was skeptical to, and waited until someone tried it before me :D

Comment

Just installed the plasma booster this morning. I say it was money well spent. I don't have any dyno evidence to prove any gains but I'm positive they exist. Torque is delivered sooner, I'd say around 3200 RPMs where as before it came on around 3700 RPMs. I did a normal stoplight to stoplight run I'm familiar with bymy house and found myself braking a lot harder aproaching the light. The install took about 5 minutes. This would be an even better mod for those of you with strokers, turbos, or other internal engine work. :D

Thanks, ABE

Comment

Basically an MSD system, no?

Comment

Yeah, basically the same concept as an MSD (based on their literature. I've never installed one personally). MSD ads secondary spark. This product intensifies existing secondary (residual) spark. I believe MSD is a little more expensive and installation is a little more involved. But the general idea of improving combustion via a secondary spark is the same. I was surprised this product worked. I know these type of products are useful in older large block muscle cars, but didn't think it would make a difference in a smaller M20 engine.

Comment

Is the install very simple to do? What is involved?

It sells from ignition solutions for $150ish and from bavauto $250ish. Seems like I might do this mod depending on how difficult it is

Comment

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 2. It's really a 1, but I'll add an extra degree of difficulty just because there's electricity involved. Not if you disconnect your battery of course (as the instructions tell you to). But I'd give disconnecting your battery a 1 also. Should take 10 to 15 minutes. Only tool you need as the 10mm from your trunk tool kit. The one Bav Auto sells is the exact same one Ignition Solutions sells, so go for whichever is cheaper.

Comment

By any chance you know if it'll work on M42? :S

Comment

it doesnt

Comment

why the hell doesnt the ignition solutions website work?

i clicked the link and the site does nothing

Comment

Originally posted by robert325is
                      why the hell doesnt the ignition solutions website work?

i clicked the link and the site does nothing
                      Google it. That is how i got it to work.

Comment

Link doesn't work

I don't know why the link in my original post doesn't work anymore. However, if you just type in the exact same address in your browsers URL and press enter, it'll take you to Ignition Solutions website.

I believe the model for the 325i (m20) will also work for the 318i (m42). Check with IS first though. I don't know if any gains will be noticeable on the m42 as I've never used one, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Be interesting to see what results you notice on an m42.

Comment

Re: Link doesn't work

yea, but if unsure if it';ll work and not that much disposable income kinda scares me

Comment

where does this fit into the system? before or after the coil? I really want to do a COP set up, or maybe just a simple waste spark.

im just interested if it before or after the coil, like does it up the voltage in the primary circuit? or does it replace the coil?

Kyle
                            1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                            DILLIGAF

Comment

It piggy backs onto the coil, Dosnt' connect before or after, well I guese it's after. Just connects directly to the coil. I have one on my 85 325e, seemed to make the car run a lot smoother but that's about all I have noticed.
                              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                              X