Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland rear camber / toe modifications

TWO THUMBS UP.

Since I was replacing the rear subframes, now was the time to fix the rear camber / toe issues ive had with the car. I purchased the rear camber / toe kit from ireland. It consists of 4 eccentric bolts / washers and 4 slotted plates. The subframe bolt holes (for the trailing arms) need to be enlarged / slotted. The plates get welded onto the subframe. The inboard mounts allow the trailing arm mounting bolt to ONLY move up and down......changing only camber. The outboard mounts allow the trailing arm mounting bolt to ONLY move forward and back......changing only toe.

The reason for choosing.....camber and toe changes can be specifically dialed in. changing camber does not effect the toe as with the eccentric bushings. here is a nice article regarding the suspension geometry. http://www.e30m3performance.com/tech...tech/index.htm

Ive got 10k street miles and 4 track days......no slipping of settings.
    cheers, jason

I have the kit as well and I'm very pleased with it. I figure I took out roughly .75 degrees of my negative camber.

Here's a bad picture to confuse you...
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

how much were the parts from IE jason?
      BEERTECH

Comment

and they came wiht 8 plates right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          how much were the parts from IE jason?
          i bought the camber and toe kit. i think it was 150 for the 4 eccentric bolts and 8 plates.

cheers, jason

Comment

do you think the sub frame needs to be completly removed for the plates to be welded in?

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
              do you think the sub frame needs to be completly removed for the plates to be welded in?
              Think? Know...

A. Its a bitch to reach.
              B. Where you would be welding is 1in away from gastank.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

do you happen to know the diameter washers on the bolts? i wonder of some of those plates could just be found or made. And the bolts come from the 5 series

here is some pic i found of an install

seems like one could just take a flat peice of metal (maybe 1" x 1") and weld on the peices on the sides
                Last edited by nickmp0wer; 11-27-2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
                  i wonder of some of those plates could just be found or made. And the bolts come from the 5 series

seems like one could just take a flat peice of metal (maybe 1" x 1") and weld on the peices on the sides
                  yes, they are eccentric bolts and eccentric washers from a 5er. they will cost you +/- 75usd from the dealer. you would not be able to make these plates without a full machine shop. definately not for the weekend welder. just buy the kit, pull the subframe (this is a must), slot the control arm holes (another reason to pull subframe), weld on the plates, put it back together and get your alignment.

i suppose you could try to make your own kit and save $20, but jeff spent time and money developing this. its $20 towards research and development.....i think he diserves it. cheers, jason

Comment

the other thing is in extreme cases the 5er bolts may not have enough correction in them, because of this the IE camber kits come with larger plates and bolts for the inboard camber adjustment. This also means you have to bash up the floorpan, (another reason to remove the subframe). Also if you are running IE subframe bushes you will have to remove part of the lip off the bushing, there isn't enough room for the nut let alone a spanner. Also, I suggest putting the whole thing together (trailing arms, diff etc) and then installing it in the car. There just isn't enough room in there to hold the T/A inplace and slide the bolts through.

Comment

i have purchased the kit, but im wondering where exactly i should install the plates. Do you happen to know their range of adjustment?

Comment

Working...
                      X