No announcement yet.

School me on E39 M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ you must drive like a girl, I think I averaged 18 when I had mine and that was on a good day. Great cars, can get expensive if you dont have a well maintained one. As said head over to M5board for good info.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
      ^ you must drive like a girl.
      He does lol

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
      It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

Hopefully by next Spring I'll have the cash to go car shopping.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Comment

Ive had one for a little over a year and its been amazing. Car had 102k with original clutch. But I did put about 2k in for new flywheel, clutch and other parts that should be replaced while down there. Just replaced o2 sensors which cost me 750 bucks :(

Highly recommend it.
          91 318 s52 Swap

-m50 manifold
          -headers
          -zf320
          -3.25lsd
          -KaMotors Intake

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            cramer, you are a rare bird. Most M5s are verging on their third or fourth clutch by that mileage from what I have seen. Yes, some people can get dramatically more mileage on a clutch, but that isn't really a reasonable expectation.
            A buddy of mine had one, absolutely amazing to drive. He did, however, say that he had to allot for a clutch job a year or about 18k miles. He did drive it pretty hard, but didn't beat the clutch.

That aside, the car is incredible to drive. I hated it at first due to the weight (and I was DD'ing an e30 at the time), but once you drive it for a day or two it really is an amazing machine.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

have never yet seen a bad clutch, maybe cause the streets are nicer over here?

have seen plents of MAFs go bad- and they have 2 of em. a few fuelpumps tooas well as brake rotors warping (could also be a Germany autobahn thing). then the reg. E39 suspension problems.

they make a cool sound when you push the gas pedal- and that makes up for the weak points.

Comment

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by sharky View Post
                  ^ you must drive like a girl, I think I averaged 18 when I had mine and that was on a good day. Great cars, can get expensive if you dont have a well maintained one. As said head over to M5board for good info.

Nope. 30mpg hwy is easy in an m5, I though something was messed up but appartently its pretty common to get that good on the hwy.

city... thats another story lol thats like 15 cause stop lights are too fun not to floor it at

Comment

If you're thinking about buying an e39 M5 you are thinking too much.

Best car ever put out by BMW.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Very good info guys, keep it coming.

I find that the E39 540i/6mt is looking a bit more appealing cost wise. I think the first thing I would do is drop in a Zionsville Aluminum radiator regardless of the condition of the current one.

I can do all my own maintenance so costs will be cut 2/3rds.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                      hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                      And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

You will buy a 540/6 and enjoy it. But one day someone will be beside you in an m5 and youll wish you would have got one instead.

Everyone who says the 540 is just as good or that m5s arent that special, are just jelly cause they dont have one :)

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                          You will buy a 540/6 and enjoy it. But one day someone will be beside you in an m5 and youll wish you would have got one instead.

Everyone who says the 540 is just as good or that m5s arent that special, are just jelly cause they dont have one :)
                          They aren't but, they are a decent second. Especially if you throw in an lsd.

Comment

Working...
                          X