What the hell was that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell was that?

I was on my way home, while stopped at a light. The light turned green and when I released my clutch pedal, BANG! a little bit of grinding, and then nothing. The engine was still running, I could select any gear, but there was no drive. As for previous symptoms, I had a really loud layshaft bearing rattle at idle that sounded like the engine was rattling apart, but no slipping clutch. Has anyone seen or heard anything like this?

Has anyone seen or heard anything like this?
    No, you're the first to ever explode a guibo.

Or have the bolts fall out of a halfshaft.

Or the driveshaft.

Or have the carrier bearing rust off the bottom of the car and drop
    the entire driveshaft on the road.

Or have a rear axle nut come off.

There are lots of options, you'll have to stick your head underneath and
    see what's not turning.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thank you...

I was automatically assuming it was the clutch or the transmission. It hadn't occured to me that it might be something simple and less expensive. But, like you said, still gotta get under the car and start looking.

Comment

its not any of those...

Jacked the car up and slid underneath, and guibo looks like new, everything is solid and attached. When I start it, and engage a gear, nothing happens, and the layshaft bearing rattle is gone. So, I'm back to the clutch or the transmission.

Comment

anybody know if...

Anybody know if a getrag 260 from an '88 525i is compatible with an '89 325i? If I have to drop this thing and its just a clutch problem, I still want to get rid of that damn rattle.

Comment

Should be, if it's not an eta.
            The output flange might be different.
            But that can be swapped.

I'm surprised something in the box broke with a bang.
            But it sounds like it did...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X