Turbo M50 Vert Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bangn View Post
    whats with the rocker moldings? is that something only convertibles have as I have never seen them before
    I am unsure. This is my first vert. My other e30 (91 325ix sedan) did not have them either. That being said I don't mind the look all that much.

Comment

Quick little update,
      I am off at school and it is about 2 weeks before finals so progress on the car will be stopped until mid december so that I can focus on my studies. I do have pictures of the new block all painted up and starting to look pretty. When I arrive home I will be pulling the old block and swapping over the starter/power-steering/etc.

Comment

Engine + Trans OUT!

So (literally) within my first few hours of being home from school I gathered some buds and went to pull the blown m50 and my getrag from the car. Success! The first engine I've pulled, a proud moment for sure. Along with pulling the engine and trans, I also painted the trans and did some reorganizing of the garage so I could streamline the rebuild process. The new block along with my cylinder head should be off to the shop this week. Pics!

Comment

Small little update, the engine block and cylinder head were dropped off at the shop a few days ago so last night I began taking all the necessities (PS pump, Oil filter housing, alternator, oil pan) off of my old block and making them look pretty. Pic of my (somewhat) sorted engine parts. I also couldn't get the crankshaft bolt off (broke my wrench) so it had to come off with the timing cover. I'm going to invest in a large breaker bar and remove it during reassembly to make sure everything is tidy.

Comment

Bottom End Complete

After recovering from a personal injury and getting the block and cylinder head from the shop I found some time to work on the old girl. Finally have the block assembled! I also have almost everything I need to reassemble the rest of the engine. I'm going to spend a few hours prepping the engine bay so that everything looks nice when it's finished.

Comment

50th Post! Engine Back In!

Finally after many long (and cold) weekends of work the setup is back in the car. .140 MLS gasket and ARP head studs should help us out this time. I am so eager to get this car running. Unfortunately I go back to school tomorrow and will be unable to complete the project until spring break, which is upsetting because there is so little work left to be done. I will be MIA from the build thread until early march most likely, but will still be on R3v!

Comment

Turbo M50 Vert Build Thread

Wow! Nice vert!! Very interesting build! Felt your pain after seeing the readings n damage photos. Quick question, you seem really mechanically savvy, who taught you so much knowledge!?

I can’t wait to go fa motors 20g turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by CharlieVu; 02-23-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieVu View Post
                  Wow! Nice vert!! Very interesting build! Felt your pain after seeing the readings n damage photos. Quick question, you seem really mechanically savvy, who taught you so much knowledge!?

I can’t wait to go fa motors 20g turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Thanks for the compliments, it's nice to see people still reading my build thread when I'm not home to add more content.
                  As far as my mechanical knowledge goes, I'm 19 and started working on cars when a few months before I got my temps permit at 15. A lot of knowledge comes from hands on experience, I can't stress that enough. When I come across a project that is large or im unfamiliar with I read about it for a few days before tackling it. Personally some of my knowledge/courage has come from reading all over forums just like R3v. I'm a very hands on guy and have a huge passion for cars, so the rest just followed.
                  And good luck with your build as well!

Comment

Awesome thread just finished my m50 swap a little bit ago with some similarities mls hg arp studs light weight flywheel. Hoping to supercharge it once I get the time and money. Enjoy your thread keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by mathblaster View Post
                      Awesome thread just finished my m50 swap a little bit ago with some similarities mls hg arp studs light weight flywheel. Hoping to supercharge it once I get the time and money. Enjoy your thread keep up the good work
                      Thanks for the motivation, have fun with your m50 car and try not to get boost hungry $$$$ Hah!

Comment

A Big (sad) Update

Wow, its been a while since I posted in this thread, which seems odd since I'm on r3v at least once a day. So there is big news about the car.

After being home for spring break in early march I got the rest of the car together and went to start it and had a horrible noise coming from the head, turns out all the lifters had seized so I had to pull everything and take the lifters apart and bleed them and reinstall them. Got that all sorted out only to find that somehow I've bent a single valve on cylinder 6, which i found out right before break was over. So I have ordered the parts I need and will be back home for summer in the start of May, so I'm hoping to have the car ready for a large meet in Akron in mid May.

If i said all this work wasn't discouraging I would be lying, but I know that the end result will be so worth it. I got a small taste of boost at 10psi before she blew so I can not wait for this summer. I guess its time to let you guys know that we may have some corn fuel plans in the near future as well, as long as the car is sorted by early summer. Stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
                        X