School me on E39 M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on E39 M5

I've been thinking about retiring the eta and moving to a E39 M5 2001+ for my second car. I've read extensively about the common problems (electrical, VANOS, etc.) but no BMW is without it's problems.

Any R3V members own one personally and can give some personal testimony?

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
    I've been thinking about retiring the eta and moving to a E39 M5 2001+ for my second car. I've read extensively about the common problems (electrical, VANOS, etc.) but no BMW is without it's problems.

Any R3V members own one personally and can give some personal testimony?
    They are FAST,, stunning to drive,, if warmed up ALWAYS before flooring,, these S62 engines are utterly good
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

I don't own one, but I work on four of them all the time. The basic answer is that they are not completely horrible, but that they are a pain in the ass. They make the E46 M3 look reliable and cheap to own by comparison. Mike has one (he owns the garage that I use), and he has three friends who have them too. There has not yet been a point in time when at least one of them did not have some kind of significant driveability issue over the past year or so.

If you are paying someone to service the car, prepare to get bent over. They have reached the point in their lives where they seem to want a couple grand in parts every year.

Also don't forget to factor in frequent clutch replacements. The clutch is way undersized for that engine. And it shows. We've had to do two clutches in the last year, for example.

Oh yes, and service the cooling system. In particular, the mechanical fan is HUGE and likes to explode when it gets weak. Make sure that you at least replace that immediately. Unless you like the fan blade through the hood mod.

Overall, I like them, but between the slop box steering (yes, that's right, they have truck parts installed) and the maintenance hassle, I've really cooled on the thought of owning one.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I have one. Best car I've ever owned. But beware they are expensive to drive. But soooooo worth it. Very responsive and fast. Took me a month to blow the clutch ..... so yeah if you get it put a better clutch.

They are very reliable if taken care of. If you can afford one then you cam afford to maintain it.

Comment

I don't have an M5 but, I have a 540i/6. The transmission is wonderful. Keep an eye out for window regulator problems, lock actuators, and broken door handle cables. The cooling system is also a week spot.

Comment

Yeah regulators go. I have two bad :( and dash digits

Every car has issues. But bone drive as good as an e39 m5

Comment

The clutch is basically sized for the 540 so yes it's not up to the task of the 400hp S62, however, I do not see why it can't last 100k. It's all in how you drive it. I've had mine for over 7 years now and have 86K+ on the car, original clutch and holding fine. If you don't drag race it off the street light, and let the clutch fully engage before putting the pedal to the floor (minimal slipping), there is no reason you can't keep a clutch in the car. Once it locks up it holds the power fine. It's just very easy to slip,and keep slipping if you try.

As for the cooling system, I'm still on the original radiator but did replace the water pump due to leaking at around 65k (did the thermostat too). I am also going to push it to 100k before I replace the radiator. While plastic isn't ideal for cooling, it should at least last that long ;)

Other items have been fuel pump, power steering lines that needed to swapped out. I've also handled the common V8/E39 maintenance areas, broken rear sway bar links, HVAC contoller, CPS's, front thrust arms...

Over all, the car has been extremely reliable (only left me stranged when the fuel pump quit) and hasn't cost any more then other VWs and BMW to maintain over the 7 years i've owned it. Doing your own work will also keep the costs down obviously :)

Check out M5board.com for lots of good info. Just about everything that can go wrong with these cars has been documented with good write ups.

VANOS on the S62s are basically built tough, dont' worry about that. And the Secondardy Airpump Carbon buildup issue is only for emmisions testing (throws a code) so if you live in an area that doesn't test, it doesn't effect the car one bit. If the CES light bothers you, you can get a ECU flash that will ignore it ;)
              Chris
              90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                Yeah regulators go. I have two bad :( and dash digits

Every car has issues. But bone drive as good as an e39 m5
                Oh yeah, stupid pixels!

Comment

cramer, you are a rare bird. Most M5s are verging on their third or fourth clutch by that mileage from what I have seen. Yes, some people can get dramatically more mileage on a clutch, but that isn't really a reasonable expectation.

Also, if you didn't replace the fan when you replaced the water pump, pretty please do that now.
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

I have one! Awesome car to own but they need attention. You have to have money to have an M5 period.

One of the best threads you will ever read
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      I don't own one, but I work on four of them all the time. The basic answer is that they are not completely horrible, but that they are a pain in the ass. They make the E46 M3 look reliable and cheap to own by comparison. Mike has one (he owns the garage that I use), and he has three friends who have them too. There has not yet been a point in time when at least one of them did not have some kind of significant driveability issue over the past year or so.

If you are paying someone to service the car, prepare to get bent over. They have reached the point in their lives where they seem to want a couple grand in parts every year.

Also don't forget to factor in frequent clutch replacements. The clutch is way undersized for that engine. And it shows. We've had to do two clutches in the last year, for example.

Oh yes, and service the cooling system. In particular, the mechanical fan is HUGE and likes to explode when it gets weak. Make sure that you at least replace that immediately. Unless you like the fan blade through the hood mod.

Overall, I like them, but between the slop box steering (yes, that's right, they have truck parts installed) and the maintenance hassle, I've really cooled on the thought of owning one.
                      I agree w this even if you owna shop they are a PITA get an e46 m3

Comment

I was planning on doing most of the work myself, but any major work I'd bring it to my brother's shop for sure.

I'm planning on starting to look next spring, so right now it'll be either a E46 M3 or E39 M5 for sure.

Detailed and a maintained service history is gonna be biggest thing when I start to look.

BTW, how is the car as a daily driver guys?

Comment

look up the price for an s62 waterpump. Do it. Right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
                            I was planning on doing most of the work myself, but any major work I'd bring it to my brother's shop for sure.

I'm planning on starting to look next spring, so right now it'll be either a E46 M3 or E39 M5 for sure.

Detailed and a maintained service history is gonna be biggest thing when I start to look.

BTW, how is the car as a daily driver guys?
                            The E39 M5 is a fantastic road car as long as it is working.

The problem for me is that pretty much my exclusive use for a modern car is for long trips. A long trip car that is crankier and less reliable than our E30s kind of defeats the point. :) It sounds like you are generally prepared, though.
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Its amazing dd. Leave tc on and sport mode on and its perfect. Especially with exhaust aka muffler delete ;). And I still get 27-30mpg hwy

Comment

Working...
                              X