0295 Natur vinyl/fabric paint?? SEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0295 Natur vinyl/fabric paint?? SEM?

I've just had my vert seats and door cards refinished. I am trying to dye my tan carpet and possibly paint the door arm rests and map pockets as well. can anyone recommend a vinyl/fabric paint that closely matches 0295 Natur? What about color matching? Sorry but I'm new at the whole paint thing

I've already tried Duplicolor Medium Beige Vinyl and Fabric Paint as per this very cool houndstooth door card thread. It's the right "hue" so it contrasts very nicely, but it's too dark. I went ahead and sprayed my rear carpet section anyway (the strip of carpet that sits below the rear seat and hangs down to the floor). You can see it in the pic above, and it does look pretty good. but again it's way too dark.

UPDATE: Check post 16 further on. It's not that dark really - looks like it matches the carpet under the lower console reasonably well!

here's a zoomed in view of the seat leather, clean natur vinyl quarter trim panel and the duplicolor medium beige rear carpet. You can really tell how dark the duplicolor medium beige is here

here's that same painted rear carpet piece compared to the faded main carpet

I need a paint that is both lighter than the rear piece and darker than the carpet in front of it, which is unpainted and severely sun faded.
    Last edited by bradnic; 06-04-2014, 10:13 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

What about using the desert sand color that the guy in the other thread tried. It's lighter and might work well on the carpet since it dries darker in the carpet.

Comment

yeah that desert sand is the lighter duplicolor beige. bought and tried it out on a spare nature vinyl door card. way too light.. and it even appeared lighter when dry :-(
      Last edited by bradnic; 10-02-2013, 01:32 PM.

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Colorbond has a match for BMW Natur.

Comment

Thanks! I saw their color chart on the bryndana.com website but no 0295 listed. I've sent them an email asking for more info. Also contacted George at Leatherique.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

just found this on bfc - they guy used colorbond #254 bmw natural tan.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              Thanks! I saw their color chart on the bryndana.com website but no 0295 listed. I've sent them an email asking for more info. Also contacted George at Leatherique.
              I just had George make me some custom matched '0295' Natur dye for my seats. It's very close to the original leather color. I was sure to tell him it was the 0295, so he should have it on file.
              R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
              └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Right on. tried to reach George but we didn't connect. I need to spray the carpet too so.. haven't learned how to use a paint gun yet :-) I ended up buying some cans of that colorbond BMW Natural Tan #254.

I did buy custom seat dye from him for the silber leather seats in our IX. perfect match.

so how'd your seats turn out???? pics / build thread anywhere?
                Last edited by bradnic; 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

No pics yet. I've been procrastinating. lol

I will post up some pics of my project when it's done. I bought a nice passenger sport seat and swapped it over a driver seat. It's a major PITA, but if you take your time it's not rocket science.

Do you have any pics of your front arm rests after color treatment? I'd like to try the leatherique on mine, but I have my doubts about how it sticks to plastic...

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                    No pics yet. I've been procrastinating. lol I will post up some pics of my project when it's done.
                    I look forward to seeing them!

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                    Do you have any pics of your front arm rests after color treatment? I'd like to try the leatherique on mine, but I have my doubts about how it sticks to plastic...
                    unfortunately the color bond vinyl paint just showed up yesterday. it's too cold now so this will be a next spring project..

EDIT: that seems kinda lame. gonna pull the arm rests and give em a spray indoors. will post pics soon. if that goes well I'll pull the map pockets and spray them too.
                    Last edited by bradnic; 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Colorbond #254 BMW Natural Tan is **NOT** 0295 Natur

Well I sprayed the back side of a driver's door pull. Not even close. It is more pearl beige than natur, but with less green in it. Anyone need a few cans of Colorbond tan? Hopefully I can return them. shouldn't be this hard dammit.

Color mismatch before painting. Note that the map pocket is actually pretty close to the new leather already. These pics are hard to take so that they accurately reflect real world. This seems pretty accurate though.

another before view. you can tell the map pocket's a bit too dark but a much closer match to the door skin than the door pull

Here's the back of the door pull after painting with Colorbond #254. Not even close.

There's one other question I suppose - which color's really right? I mean the leather's new but is it really a good match for the original natur? and what's faded from the sun - the map pocket or the door pull? So I took a closer look at the door pull. Hard to see, but the bottom part that wasn't sun exposed is definitely closer to the map pocket and door skin color than the sun exposed part of it.

This pic was hard to take - I had to enhance it, but if you look closely you'll see some fading from left to right on the pic.

Anyone else this anal?
                      Last edited by bradnic; 06-04-2014, 10:14 PM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        I look forward to seeing them!

unfortunately the color bond vinyl paint just showed up yesterday. it's too cold now so this will be a next spring project..

EDIT: that seems kinda lame. gonna pull the arm rests and give em a spray indoors. will post pics soon. if that goes well I'll pull the map pockets and spray them too.
                        @ bradnic:
                        OK, so I finally got the old dye off my leather. An epic PITA! I applied 3 layers of the custom 0295 dye from Leatherique. I used a microfibre towel to wipe it on. The color looks a little light in the pics, but as the dye dries, it's getting darker. It's pretty darn close to the original color. I dyed all the leather parts, but not the seat back. We'll see how it looks once I get the seat reassembled.

My only complaint about the way this looks is that the old dye removal process of sanding the leather took away the texture. The seats look pretty smooth now. I tried to avoid the sanding by scrubbing the leg support with a brush, but that was taking FOREVER. To be honest, it doesn't seem that you need to remove ALL of the original dye if it is still well-bonded to the leather. I think the instructions that call for removing the old dye really only apply to seats with flaking old dye. I wish I had more time to experiment.

I'll post up some pics when I get the seat installed...

Comment

That looks like a pearl beige?
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Nah that's def natur !!

Glad to finally see Aleman post pics of his seats :-) been waiting a while lol. The seat bolster and center really looks terrific. I see what you mean about the smoothness but once installed I don't think you're gonna notice it much.

I ended up sticking with George and Leatherique for the trim and carpet dye. Same deal 0295 Natur. Different formulation for the carpet, supposed to be applied with a brush.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                              That looks like a pearl beige?
                              Were you referring to the pic with the Colorbond painted area of the armrest? If so I agree. Returned it all.

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                              X