No announcement yet.

Turbo M50 Vert Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the 350mm Momo wheel? How do you like it? I was looking at getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by gart View Post
      Onother ohio cabrio ! Very nice!
      Thanks! Just read your e39 540it thread the other day and didn't even notice your location. Nice pick up!

Comment

Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
        Is that the 350mm Momo wheel? How do you like it? I was looking at getting one.
        Im not sure, it was on the car when I purchased. Either way I love the feel and how it sits.
        Last edited by NEOe30; 05-01-2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Downpipe and EMU

The vert has been in the shop for a day or two now getting the downpipe made, so I stopped by to talk to the owner about some things and check up on the build. In the meantime, my EMU came in so I installed it along with my MAP sensor yesterday at the shop. I plan on having the car running today by the end of the day on the EMU. I also got the wideband and boost guages installed.. The only thing to do now is to run the oil lines and pick up a BOV (anyone selling one?) The biggest issue with running the oil return is that in order to drop the pan, I must remove the transmission. I am still unsure whether I'm going to tackle this job or look for an alternate oil drain. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. This week in the mail I got my turbo blanket, exhaust wrap, wastegate flange, and a few other odds and ends for the car. I'll probably upload pics of those later. For now, heres me wiring up the EMU harness and the downpipe before the welds were finished. Highly recommend Oddball Industries to anyone looking for custom work, Scott Pace managed to fit a 3" downpipe past the stock battery and my JakeB manifold with an external wastegate. They build all kinds of high number cars (1000+ hp) and plan on building the world's fastest Mazdaspeed 3 within the next few months.

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

BIG Update

Hey R3v, I know it has been a while since I updated the build thread, but I want to stay dedicated to it so here is a big one.

To address my previous post, I picked up and installed an NGR bov, ran the oil return line to the oil pan and tapped it as high as I could. I also installed my downpipe, exhaust wrap, and turbo blanket. I also put some aluminum insulation tape by the turbo near the strut tower and on the hood. I am debating running the aluminum tape under the entire hood for a cleaner, sharper look. Here's how the engine bay sits today. (Bonus points for the custom engine cover?) Ignore the fact that i have an intake hooked up on the cold side of the charge piping, Ill get to that in a minute.

So to address the intake setup, my EMU install did not go as planned, and I'm currently working on converting to a full standalone MS3x. I had the car running on stock management and wanted to be able to drive the car around on stock management, so I disconnected the charge piping on the cold side and slid my intake back on, no harm no foul.

Here's where the "fun" began. During this process I got curious and connected the charge pipe, only boosting 2-4lbs partial throttle to get a taste of the turbo goodness. Doing this actually probably helped me because I was able to sort out a few oil leaks under boost and make sure my setup was solid. One evening on the way home I got a little too courageous and put my foot down on the highway and ended up blowing one of my spark plug well seals out. I also managed to destroy the stock MAF by spiking about 5lbs. (304 ecu) So i replaced the valve cover and spark plug well gaskets/seals and the head looked really clean inside. I ran a compression test for my sanity while i was troubleshooting the faulty MAF and came back with some beautiful numbers...

192-187-188-186-190-188

So like I said, I'm currently in the process of installing an MS3x so I can delete the MAF altogether and not have to worry about the pain of the M50nv 304 ECU.

Also while the car was down I did a few other small things that had been bothering me like realigning the windows and I'm working on a battery relocation this week as well.
            Additionally, I know the velocity stack intake is an option some people turn to for these cars. I have removed my passenger side headlight, and repainted the mounting bracket as well for a cleaner finish. The stock bracket almost looks like a velocity stack, no need to buy one! If you're looking for a slightly cleaner look, Kamotors sells them I believe. I'm unsure if I will stick with this setup or not, but it sure looks like it could be effective in reducing intake temps and engine bay temps by helping to keep the turbo and manifold cool.
            I'm interested to hear opinions on this.

I'm pretty sure that covers almost everything. I also rebuilt my 60lb injectors this past week so the car is ready to be tuned after the MS goes in and I drop in the injectors. Can't wait to get it running with some real power!

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Im enjoying this build. :popcorn:

COTM

Comment

Lots of quick progress. Turbo is the one thing (apart from V8 swap) that I haven't done in an E30. This build is making a turbo build a strong desire!
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                  Lots of quick progress. Turbo is the one thing (apart from V8 swap) that I haven't done in an E30. This build is making a turbo build a strong desire!
                  Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                  Im enjoying this build. :popcorn:
                  Thanks guys! I love the positive feedback, its motivational for sure. VDO oil gauge just ordered to complete the gauge setup, should arrive by the weekend.

Comment

Clean Build , I wish mine was that clean
                    how did you route your waste gate?

Comment

Originally posted by JOMARO View Post
                      Clean Build , I wish mine was that clean
                      how did you route your waste gate?
                      Thanks! My wastegate is connected to my manifold, and my boost pressure source is coming from my turbo elbow. I'm running an hx35 so I was able to pick up a Cummins turbo elbow with a spot for a threaded fitting. I ran that to the bottom port on my wastegate and she's good to go. Top port is vented, and the exhaust gas is vented to atmosphere as well.
                      Last edited by NEOe30; 07-03-2017, 02:32 PM. Reason: Correction on setup

Comment

Very neat . Wish my Turbo very build could move along this fast. Just got the body completely restored and painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redbone View Post
                          Very neat . Wish my Turbo very build could move along this fast. Just got the body completely restored and painted.

Yeah, and we actually had about a month hold up since I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't run right. All after a stupid ICV hose being disconnected. I planned almost the whole build out beforehand in a speadsheet to speed things along and to track finances. I plan on sharing that at the end of the build.

Comment

VDO Oil Gauge Install

With the installation of my VDO oil pressure gauge my setup is complete! Pics!

Also, I know I need exhaust tips, the single straight pipe is ugly. I'm considering these, probably mounted perpendicular to the bumper instead of slanted like factory. Looking for input from you guys here. Open to anything.

So the car is back on it's feet and I took her out for a short drive and some gas yesterday evening. Still on low boost 3-4lbs until I get my MS3x. I have to say the engine feels super smooth and sounds even better. For anyone wondering I'm running a custom 3" downpipe to a 2.5" exhaust with vibrant resonator and muffler. I've considered upgrading to a 3" all the way back but the setup is pretty new so I'll probably decide after it's tuned. Don't get me wrong, it still sings. Maybe I'll upload a few clips within the next week if I'm feeling up to it. Bonus shots of using the foam cannon I got from the lady!

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEOe30 View Post
                              Yeah, and we actually had about a month hold up since I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't run right. All after a stupid ICV hose being disconnected. I planned almost the whole build out beforehand in a speadsheet to speed things along and to track finances. I plan on sharing that at the end of the build.

Inspiration totally.

Comment

Fixing Boost Leaks and Cleaning Up

So after finally figuring out why the car was down for so long (6 weeks or so) I wanted to obviously address the issue and fix it. The so called "gooseneck" hose for the m50 ICV tends to come loose on most boosted applications. I wish I knew that before spending so much time looking for the source of my no-start elsewhere.

So yesterday I took off the intake manifold and JB welded the goosneck hose fitting into the manifold. This is a common fix and has proven to hold 20+psi. No more leaks and she's starting to pull hard! I took pictures of the tear down and even sorted out some engine bay wiring/ cleaned some stuff up while I had the time and space because if you're like me, you might as well do it while the manifolds off because you may never do it again. Also, I took some pictures on the way home from the parts store at a local community college with a nice view. Enjoy!

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X