Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

center console insulation

Hi all,

So I noticed my auto e30 has a foam insert around the shifter that covers wiring etc. I wanted to purchase one but I don't see any part resembling this on realoem.com.

Has anyone ever bothered to buy one from bmw?

I'd like to get one for my manual e30 because I'm getting air and driveline noise coming into the cabin.

side note: I did manage to change the rubber donut that slips over the shifter.
    sigpic

If you are that keen to put a bit of foam around the gearsick, I would go to your local shop that sells foam, buy some and cut it to shape. Cost you basically nothing.

You can buy insulation foam. Internet is being slow here at the moment but my local hardware shop sells it, it is dirty cheap.

I don't think a bit of foam will stop drive line noise though.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      If you are that keen to put a bit of foam around the gearsick, I would go to your local shop that sells foam, buy some and cut it to shape. Cost you basically nothing.

You can buy insulation foam. Internet is being slow here at the moment but my local hardware shop sells it, it is dirty cheap.

yeah i figured that being the alternative; but it's normal driveline noise coming through the transmission tunnel. the rubber boot and foam I noticed work well together to make it noticably quiet. thank. :-)
      sigpic

Comment

I just wrapped a towel around the area over the rubber boot. It definitely helps, but one of those ghetto mods I totally forgot I did until I saw this thread.
        www.instagram.com/snwmble
        #snwmble

Current:
        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

i stuffed mine with foam i got at the fabric store. so cheap... easy fix. still not quiet in the cabin though...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          '90 325i sedan daily driven
          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
            i stuffed mine with foam i got at the fabric store. so cheap... easy fix. still not quiet in the cabin though...
            Did you replace the donut..that seals around the shifter stem. and the boot should also not be torn. Everything helps to deaden the sound.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ceeker View Post
              Did you replace the donut..that seals around the shifter stem. and the boot should also not be torn. Everything helps to deaden the sound.
              i have an autotragic....so there's big ol slot for noise and cold... it's really not bad at all...

sent via carrier pigeon launched from the trunk of my daily e30
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              '90 325i sedan daily driven
              '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                i have an autotragic....so there's big ol slot for noise and cold... it's really not bad at all...

sent via carrier pigeon launched from the trunk of my daily e30
                I'm going to use one from one of my cars to replace the missing one.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with dynamat to reduce noise? Wrap the transmission tunnel from inside the cabin? It might help, not sure how well.

I'm definitely headed to the hardware store or Hobby Lobby to get some foam to pack around the shifter to see if that will help.

Comment

Dynamat will dampen vibration, but not block sound much if at all. Something thicker like foam is really your only option.

Comment

Working...
                    X