No announcement yet.

M50 Turbo Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So its the coldest day of the year so far here in Minnesota.. It was -14f before windchill this morning! For some reason I decided to work on the car today still. Our heater did great at keeping up with the cold!

Finished oil lines today for the most part.

Had to drill out this adapter and find some bolts that would fit.

Oil Feed spot + adapter for an oil pressure gauge

Yup that'l work I'm thinkin

Had to take apart the turbo housings and swivel the whole thing in order to fit that drain line in.... its a really tight fit coming off the turbo. I'll post a pic when its together so you can see the clearance... or lack there of..... Either way, found a spot that I think will work and decided to clean up and paint the turbo outlet housing while I had it all apart.

My brother doin some painting. He's also painting the valve cover in the background!

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
    07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

Nice progress. Wish I had time to boost my e30

Comment

youre gonna need to change your sig to "b0osted m50" pretty soon.

enjoying following this build.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          youre gonna need to change your sig to "b0osted m50" pretty soon.

enjoying following this build.
          Originally posted by efficient View Post
          Nice progress. Wish I had time to boost my e30
          Thanks guys, really appreciate that! I'm trying to start simple with it! My e30 isn't perfect and while I don't have the funds to make perfect, I can however make it more fun and enjoyable and unique and always improve on how it currently is! So I'm trying to be reasonable with how I approach things!

The previous owner plastidip'd the engine bay black which really upsets me, but oh well!

Comment

trim the battery tray for the downpipe. Theres plenty of room for a 3" pipe on LHD cars. I fit a 3" downpipe on a RHD car with the same manifold, and thats with the steering linkage in the way.

Check my build in my sig.
            RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Cool stuff, where in mn are you?
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                trim the battery tray for the downpipe. Theres plenty of room for a 3" pipe on LHD cars. I fit a 3" downpipe on a RHD car with the same manifold, and thats with the steering linkage in the way.

Check my build in my sig.
                I started reading your build thread till I recognized it!! totally read this months ago in prep for my build. Its a good read man! Are you still on the CES copper spacer + cutring gasket with the non aluminum block? Seems like its holding good?... this is the route I'm considering going next year with mine.

And yea I trimmed the tray last weekend actually, looks much more roomy now!

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                Cool stuff, where in mn are you?
                West Saint Paul, You?
                Last edited by SirMaxximus; 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Got a few new parts delivered

CHEAP bosch gauges, they don't match perfect. But they were $50 with senders and they will get me up and running for now!

DIY catch can, I picked up a moped filter for the top of a bottle I had laying around.

Turbo is painted and put back together! Looking much better!

Now that I have an electric fan, I trimmed the water pump to make for more clearance. I'll no longer be needing these threads that hold the fan clutch on

Also trimming up the old washer fluid tray to make room for the downpipe!

Much more room!

Last edited by SirMaxximus; 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

All my exhaust + downpipe bits showed up!

Comment

Oil drain finished up today. basically no clearance from the headers but it will work! really glad I wrapped them now!

Started tearing the inside apart to do some wiring and gauges... had to cut open part of the carpet underneath the ash tray in order to fit the gauges

Comment

Huge shoutout to my brother. For the last week or so he's been painting my valve cover on his off time. Looks awesome thanks dude!

Finished product!

Comment

Not trying to be negative, but that turbo drain angle looks a little marginal..maybe its just the photo angle

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Yeah I don’t think running the drain off the side like that will work well

Comment

Looks like a 30 or 45 degree fitting. I have a 30 degree on mine with the same manifold. Works perfectly. Relax people.
                              RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by potatomash View Post
                                Not trying to be negative, but that turbo drain angle looks a little marginal..maybe its just the photo angle
                                That drain location is only one in m50 that will work 100% sure. (Unless you make drain hole to engine block itself). It doesn't matter if it's fully vertical if you need to put the drain to oil pan, which makes it to be below oil level.

Comment

Working...
                                X