Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried recovering their door panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried recovering their door panels?

I was looking at this company on eBay and their stuff looks good for the price and was wondering if anyone else has had experience installing them.
    They also have new skins for dashboards which I would like to try out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	e30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7251840

That looks less than professional and if you don't have any experience installing leather over door cards it may not be something you want to attempt. Email www.stitchedwheels.com and get an estimate as he covers door panels, door pulls and the pockets for what I feel is a very reasonable price given how nice they turn out. All of my interior, door panels (front and rear) door pulls, door pockets, front kick panel speaker covers and the rear parcel shelf should have arrived at his shop today to be recovered in leather.
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
      That looks less than professional and if you don't have any experience installing leather over door cards it may not be something you want to attempt. Email www.stitchedwheels.com and get an estimate as he covers door panels, door pulls and the pockets for what I feel is a very reasonable price given how nice they turn out. All of my interior, door panels (front and rear) door pulls, door pockets, front kick panel speaker covers and the rear parcel shelf should have arrived at his shop today to be recovered in leather.
      Yes I agree eBay's website is far from professional, it's very 2008.

The only way to gain experience in anything, is to try

Comment

I would suggest getting a set of trashed door cards and pulling the vinyl off them. I find pulling stuff apart can give me an idea of how hard it is to put back together. It's not super difficult, it just take a lot of patience to get everything right. Good luck and post back up with what you wind up doing.
        Proud Owner and Operator.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
          Email www.stitchedwheels.com and get an estimate as he covers door panels, door pulls and the pockets for what I feel is a very reasonable price given how nice they turn out. All of my interior, door panels (front and rear) door pulls, door pockets, front kick panel speaker covers and the rear parcel shelf should have arrived at his shop today to be recovered in leather.

Very interested to see how the door panels turn out. Please post feedback and pics!

I still need to redo the door panels in my vert to match the uberkaro seats that 9Stitch did. Most of the redo panels I've seen look cobbled together. The hounstooth panels in bradnic's car are really nice, but he used a a high-end shop that charges $$$. The most promising DIY I've seen is from jeffnhiscars. They look good and the center section doesn't look like an additional piece stuck on over the original. I don't trust my own skills for a DIY, so it would be great to find someone that can make them look somewhat factory without charging a fortune.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            Very interested to see how the door panels turn out. Please post feedback and pics!

I still need to redo the door panels in my vert to match the uberkaro seats that 9Stitch did. Most of the redo panels I've seen look cobbled together. The hounstooth panels in bradnic's car are really nice, but he used a a high-end shop that charges $$$. The most promising DIY I've seen is from jeffnhiscars. They look good and the center section doesn't look like an additional piece stuck on over the original. I don't trust my own skills for a DIY, so it would be great to find someone that can make them look somewhat factory without charging a fortune.

Cory
            Hey Cory...and thanks for the kind words. I didn't want to reinvent the wheels so I stuck with the stock panel and just cut out the unpadded vinyl from striped center area so the outer padded section stayed attached.

The secret to making the fabric insert look good is to size it so it nestles in the contours of the outer panel. Before I covered the insert I drilled holes in the insert AND through the door panel and used stock e30 door panel clips. From there it's a thin layer of foam, contact cement and fabric.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

here for the results, was looking at those skins too lol

Comment

Working...
              X