Adhesive for Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adhesive for Speedometer

The PO of my car took out the speedo and cracked the clear plastic piece that covers the RPM and MPH gauges (among others).

I got a used without cracks and want to put it on. I thought it would just snap into position but looks like there was/is adhesive used to keep it in place.

What do people recommend for this? superglue? model glue? gorilla glue?

I realize this is not rocket science but also don't want to botch it, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

I never glued mine back in place. It makes it easier to access the needles if you paint/color them.

If you do glue it back together DO NOT use super glue. When super glue dries it puts off vapors which will show every finger print inside the clear plastic and on any gauges. I dont know if any other glues do this but I have experience with super glue doing it 2 times and its not fun trying to remove the finger prints.

Feedback Thread

Comment

I wouldn't recommend any of those glues. As they would fog up the clear plastic. On mine I never put anything on it, as the trim holds it inplace once you got set in.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Good advice. This is why I asked. Just wasn't sure as there seems to be a little bit of adhesive on their from the factory. Thanks again.

Comment

If you use super glue it'll fog up the clear plastic, ask me how I know.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Wood screws and silicone. It´s the McGyver fix-all over here.

Seriously don´t even bother gluing it, it will make life easier later on.
            My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
            http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

If you must use glue, a hot glue gun works fine and can be cleaned/separated easily later.

But yeah, no superglue for sure.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

A few small dabs of clear silicone would work as well. Won't fog it up and is easily removable later.

Comment

Working...
                X