The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

i had a thread about this car on here. But it just was'nt really in the "project" car format. so I'm gonna start over. also along with this new thread came a realization. up and to this exact point i was contemplating on selling this car. i even had a Craig's list ad up for it. I've never got into a project that is going to require this much work. i was/am (kinda still) fearing i might have taken on a lil to much.
    this is not going to be a "checkbook" car (for i do not have a checkbook) nor can i afford to pay anyone to do work i can do my self. i think this will be a achievement for me when/if i finish this car. these cars come with the $15k rule. which I'm almost positive I'm going to get real close to by the time it is "done" (are they ever?).
    the back story is. found the car in gig harbor through a third party. the car was owned by a doctor in Redondo Beach CA almost all its life. i believe this is where the rust at the corners of the cowl started and may be why the doctor decided to move the car. it was sold to a guy that got a good deal on it but preferred 4x4s. while in his possession he (allegedly) replaced the main bearings and brakes. he then put it up for sale to buy a jeep Cherokee. the gentleman i got it from drove it on a few track days and on weekends. he moved up here from L.A. and drove it occasionally. one day the timing chain guides decided to disintegrate. his wifey was not feeling the $2k+ repair bill so he had it towed home and there it sat for 9 months till i contacted him.
    i received the car in its current condition. the timing section of the motor was removed to diagnose the chain guide issue. the interior is'nt BAD but has typical wear. title is clean and body is almost perfect. its the color i wanted but needs rust repair in a few spots. you'll see in the pictures to come.

Now for everyones favorite the to do/future mod list.
    #1 Interior rust repair

#2 timing chain guide replacement and small "rebuild" of the timing components. id like to install a cooling system "upgrade" at the same time. water pump, radiator and the 13 hose Samco kit.

#3 brakes (current system has rusted pretty well, damn cross drilled's)
    - Brembo slotted's front and rear, decent pads, stainless lines and flush system. possibly e36 m3 fronts, maybe even the infamous Massive kit. i got a thing for brakes, i like them to get me to a stop quick.

#4 Pro Lumens HID kit for lows 5k. cheaper h7 kit for lows 3k temp

#5 suspension (rear bounces like a Cadillac)
    - Bilstein sports, h&r race springs, full bushing replacement to start. down the road H&R Club sport coil overs. there are rumors of a "true coil over" kit for the rears being produced locally that i might be a guinea pig for.

#6 exterior rust repair. this is going to entail a lot. this obviously will be a professional job as the windshield will have to come out. a new cowl will have to be sectioned in, smoothed and painted. at this time ill most likely have the whole car resprayed. ideas at this time are Alpine 3 (wont have to worry about jams etc) or Sparkling Graphite Metallic.

#7 stereo. i got a ton of stuff i can put in already, its all waiting in the garage. also a Loud and Clear alarm/install. at this time ill most likely do some small but cool mods. for example true working rear fog lights. e36 window switches. not anything too hardcore, but im thinking of using a e36 4dr switch on the right side of the center console and using one side for the window, the other for the sunroof. E30Groupie custom tail lights/turn signals.

#8 interior. i have gray carpet to install already. id like to wrap the A and C pillar with black material that will match the roof liner. id like to use black seats and panels. but i have a line on a true tech2 interior that i might purchase :grin:

#9 the CUSTOM stuff. stuff that im not sure i want to disclose per getting flamed....but i think i will anyways. fitting Mitsubishi Evo MR vortex generators to the rear roof? the little bumps across the top that smooth airflow over the rear of the car before it hits the wing? new 7 series antenna, hollowed out for a XM antenna to fit inside? i got a spare deck lid and wing painted the same color from the PO. I'm thinking of removing the wing, filling the holes, painting and running minus the rear spoiler? and the wheels......i have a idea....you'll have to wait, i don't want to put it out there and get copycats, yet.

#10 the motor. no this is not going to be another 24valve swapped e30 m3. im tired of the whole word of mouth BS that the s14 is SO unreliable etc. i don't care how fast the car doesn't go. go to youtube search dtm e30m3 and listen to what a carbon air box and alpha N sounds like. if you don't like it....too bad. i'm going to get the current one running so i can cruise this summer. possibly down the road its coming out and a Metric Mechanic 2.5 only if funds allow of course. if not that, a basic rebuild back to stock spec of the existing 2.3.

there are other basic BS stuff i have to do i.e. gnarly window tint film removal. I KNOW I KNOW, heres the pics.

sitting up in gig harbor

^ kinda pissed he kept the license plate frame ^
    here at the condo after a quick wash and de-algae and moss.

the motor drama i have to contend with

the boxes of spare parts

the exterior rust

the interior tear down thus far

the (now extinct) ant farm/discovery

the new (today, 4-11-8 ) discovery of rust in the interior.

thanks to e30groupie for bringing a can of rust inhibitor to spray on the areas. it turns black after contact and it starts working.

passenger floor pan

i removed some sound deadener on the passenger side thats what is crumbled up

yes thats a hole going through the floor pan, i can see the heat shield for the exhaust through it.

section on the drivers side

and the BAD PART (as if it could not get any worse)

yes that used to be a accelerator pedal. its still attached in the rear but i dunno for how much longer. Mr.FunkMasta has come to my aid and offered a few sections of floor pan that hopefully i can tack in to repair this.

this is the first post of many. feel free to comment on the progress. BUT trust me i know how much a s14 costs. i know how much it is to rebuild. i know its not going to be as fast as a 24valve. i know the rust repair is going to be a pain in the ass. i know this is going to be a long term project. but its MY car and when its done i KNOW it will be well worth it and hopefully tasteful and envied :twisted:
    Last edited by smonkbmw; 04-12-2008, 12:46 AM.

My offer still stands. ;)
    sigpic

Comment

Holy Smokes!
      Just an FYI, I restored an 88 that wasn't anywhere near as bad... I've got at least $30K into it...and I did 90% of the work. It took me 5 years.

Comment

Holy hell. Why the fuck did the PO tear the front of the motor off and then let it sit?
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

That... scares me.

Good luck man, It'll be fun watching your progress.
          alexw
          (2) E30 tourings - sold, E30 M3 - sold, 89 325ix sedan, 91 318is slicktop
          Wisconsin Members!- Join WiBimmers.com, Wisconsin's BMW community.

Comment

well good luck cus ur going to need it

Comment

This will cost $$ to repair, no way around it. It's a great project though and you'll get an enormous amount of satisfaction when it's complete. Also, if you're going to repaint it white, you should stick with the factory color for maximum return on investment.

Comment

It's a shame a car like that was allowed to degrade into that condition.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for ya.

Comment

Wow...thats one hell of a project you have on your hands

Best of luck....can't wait to see it finished

Comment

Yo, man, that really does need some serious love, doesn't it?

I still say drop an M50 in it, on the dirty-cheap, fix and respray that cowl, just get the thing on the road until your wallet heals.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Could be worse. Your Blower assy. could have become a home for a waywardd family of dogfood eating rodents.Good look with the project.

Comment

whoa. i hope you bought it for really really cheap.

Comment

How cheap did you get this for? Good luck my friend, it will be worth it once its done!
                          Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by sam3 View Post
                            Holy Smokes!
                            Just an FYI, I restored an 88 that wasn't anywhere near as bad... I've got at least $30K into it...and I did 90% of the work. It took me 5 years.
                            im hoping to be in decent running condition for half that (if not less) and in a 1/5th of the time (if not less).

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                            Holy hell. Why the fuck did the PO tear the front of the motor off and then let it sit?
                            no idea, sucks huh?

Originally posted by alexw View Post
                            That... scares me.

Good luck man, It'll be fun watching your progress.
                            yup, scares me too, its going to be fun for me. my last car (swap e30) had half as many pics taken of it by now. so this will have a good photo album of it following the progress.

Originally posted by Hartge_H27 View Post
                            well good luck cus ur going to need it
                            yessir

Originally posted by chucko View Post
                            This will cost $$ to repair, no way around it.
                            ya think? lol

Originally posted by seiferguy View Post
                            It's a shame a car like that was allowed to degrade into that condition.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for ya.
                            Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
                            Wow...thats one hell of a project you have on your hands
                            Best of luck....can't wait to see it finished
                            i know, thanks.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            Yo, man, that really does need some serious love, doesn't it?

I still say drop an M50 in it, on the dirty-cheap, fix and respray that cowl, just get the thing on the road until your wallet heals.
                            it does, it needs a sub box/amp rack, alarm and its kick panels cut out also :) the m50 idea is tempting, but i can get the s14 going for about the same cost.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            Could be worse. Your Blower assy. could have become a home for a waywardd family of dogfood eating rodents.Good look with the project.
                            yeahhh, never encountered fuzzy items in a vehicle yet, dunno how id handle it either. i already got issues with spiders as it is.

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                            whoa. i hope you bought it for really really cheap.
                            Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                            How cheap did you get this for? Good luck my friend, it will be worth it once its done!
                            $4000. with a set of 5 stockies with polished faces (no tires). and a spare trunk/deck lid/spoiler.

Comment

Subscribed! Love m3 rebuilds! :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X