Please tell me why I'm still overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell me why I'm still overheating

So I've got a '91 318is that's been having issues overheating lately. I flushed the radiator, but noticed the distilled water wasn't circulating when I first started so I decided the water pump must be bad. I've now replaced the water pump and thermostat and the car still overheats and still doesn't seem to be circulating coolant. Anyone know what the issue could be? It's also got an electric fan that's working right so I know that's not the issue

Did you bleed it at all?

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Well I drained all the old coolant out, and what was left came out with the water pump if that's what you mean. If bleeding it is a different process than that I haven't bled it, but would like to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by gespinal0301 View Post
        Did you bleed it at all?
        Originally posted by AlexMaldonado View Post
        Well I drained all the old coolant out, and what was left came out with the water pump if that's what you mean. If bleeding it is a different process than that I haven't bled it, but would like to know how.
        I think he means, have you bled the air out of the coolant after refilling the rad? Having air in the system could definitely contribute to overheating issues. Also might want to consider replacing the thermostat, simple process that ended up solving my overheating issues.
        sigpic
        91' 318is Brilliantrot
        Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianDirty30 View Post
          I think he means, have you bled the air out of the coolant after refilling the rad? Having air in the system could definitely contribute to overheating issues. Also might want to consider replacing the thermostat, simple process that ended up solving my overheating issues.
          Yeah this is what I meant. There should be a plastic bleeder screw to the right of the radiator cap, with the engine on and starting to warm up open it slightly to let the air out. Then keep adding water/coolant to the radiator and repeat the process over again until no bubbles come out

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Air, or tstat is stuck. IDK the condition of your car, but a bad head gasket can cause overheating problems.

You should just go ahead and replace the t stat. After that, open the bleeder, with the engine on, then fill it up until its full. Then, it may take a minute for the thermostat to open, when it does, it may take some more coolant.

Also, a tip for bleeding, jack the front of the car up and turn the heater on while you're bleeding.
            Last edited by MrBurgundy; 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I replaced the thermostat at the same time as the water pump, but didn't know about the valve by the filler cap. I'll do that today and follow up. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

You have to bleed the hell out of it..may take a couple days to get it right.
                NASA
                BMWCCA member
                PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                1997 M3 sedan
                2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I don't think air in the system is causing the problem.. IIRC M42's are pretty good at self bleeding...

Do you have the issue at speed or only when still? Perhaps the issue is a bad fan clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                    I don't think air in the system is causing the problem.. IIRC M42's are pretty good at self bleeding...

Do you have the issue at speed or only when still? Perhaps the issue is a bad fan clutch?
                    Thats what I was thinking, but sounds like he's got an e-fan according to his post so that would eliminate that possibility
                    sigpic
                    91' 318is Brilliantrot
                    Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

backwards thermostat

Comment

I owe you guys my life! I bled the cooling system and it's running like it just came off the show room floor! It held it's temperature at idle for several minutes and the test drive was perfect too! Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                          Hmm. I recall my M42 being much harder to get bled properly than the M20, which pretty much bleeds itself in one go once you get it up to temp and crack the bleeder open.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

m42s can be a pita to bleed.

I did a flush on my m20 and it pretty much bled itself.
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                            X