Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in doing a 24v swap? Read this!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
    Does a 24v swap into a 1991 318is require any chassis modification, i.e. cutting off brackets or anything? Basically I'm wondering if this swap is fully reversible.
    Yup, the only thing I can think of that might be "unreversible" is getting the wiring harness through the firewall hole usually needs to be enlarged slightly, but its all easily covered
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Okay, thanks.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

If someone is interested of doing the wiring harness modification by themselves, I made a video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euxmWXAJg9U

It may miss some obd2 stuff like CEL wiring because we don't have those in use here.

Comment

The wiki link is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Yup, the only thing I can think of that might be "unreversible" is getting the wiring harness through the firewall hole usually needs to be enlarged slightly, but its all easily covered
            318is and 24v use the same sized ECU connector. From what I know, the only ones that require opening the firewall hole is the early models (86 and earlier). The Motronic 1.0 and Jetronic used the smaller ECU connectors.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
              The wiki link is dead.
              the new link has been posted 3 times in the last 2-3 pages

Comment

Do I need to use a tune with a m52b28 swap? DME red label 413, ebay headers, exhaust with no cat, K&N intake.

Have a mechanic that thinks my idle issue is due to there not being a tune for the car.

He says there is a vacuum leak but thinks that's not causing my issue.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

^bueller...
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd

Comment

Vacuum leaks are basically the number 1 cause of idle issues... it’s pretty much the only thing they cause.
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      Vacuum leaks are basically the number 1 cause of idle issues... it’s pretty much the only thing they cause.
                      I agree. But I also had an issue with the CEL coming on complaining of the O2 sensor. O2 sensor has been replaced multiple times. Wiring has been checked.

The car also had a weird issue where when you start to rev the motor that at about 2500 rpms and up it sounds like a 2-step.
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd

Comment

Vacuum leaks can cause O2 codes due to mixture issues. If you have a vacuum leak, that is very likely your issue. It should be fixed regardless.
                        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                        e30 restoration and V8 swap
                        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

aww good point. The vacuum leak was with the PCV valve.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd

Comment

just do add: You dont need to replace the 36 oil pump with the e34 oil pump if you're doing an m50 swap, the pumps are the same part, you just need the oil pickup tube. It makes life a whole lot easier and saves you money

Comment

whats the best brake booster to use? there are several ppl are using and people are moving the booster to the side.

Comment

I recently replaced an e21 booster that leaked with a Porsche 944 booster, which I got new at a pretty reasonable price. Not worth going used imo. Easy to fit as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X