R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Appearance & Cosmetic > Body & Paint

Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Bailey19
Noobie

Water Found In Wheel Wells - How??

Hi All,

Over the years when thereís rain/a lot of water on the ground I always end up with water in both of the wheel wells in my truck. Since the lining of the trunk is only wet in the bottom of the wheel wells, I have not been able to track where the water is coming in from. Keep in mind, the amount of water at times has been a few inches deep on either side.

Have any of you ever experienced this issue? Being that this car is my sunny day driver, I donít want to throw money randomly to try and fix this problem. Any info or insight helps.

Thank you!
Bailey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
rturbo 930
R3VLimited

Sunroof drains. Common problem. Do a search.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
reelizmpro
R3V OG

I have had that problem on a couple of cars. I assumed it was sunroof drains as well but they are good and drain out of the car through the flaps on each side. It wasn't the sunroof drains on either car. It seemed to be coming from high up and trickling down as I've observed water dripping from the bottom of the rear deck right under the C pillars. Other culprits are tail light gaskets, trunk gasket rear window seal and the rear quarter window trim seals. The quarter window trim seal clips are often dry rotted out now and given the rain gutter drains back towards them, water can easily enter the car through the 3 holes in the C pillar.

85 323i M TECH 1 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
89 M3 S52 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZE
91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER
reelizmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
nando

sunroof drains, trunk seal, antenna grommet, or talight gaskets. When my window C-pillar trim grommets were all dried out, I ended up with water in the back seat.

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Bailey19
Noobie

How much of a pain is it to replace say the:
-Trunk Seal
-Sunroof Seal
-Side window seal

And is it very costly? Being honest, I am not very mechanical and fear fucking this up even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bailey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
nando

The sunroof seal doesn't do anything to seal water. It's only for wind. It's designed so water drains through the opening, down the sunroof tubes, down behind the rear wheels and out of the car.

The trunk seal and C-pillar grommets are easy - the trunk can be done with zero tools. I've never replaced a window seal.

Bimmerlabs
nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
tomstin
Wrencher

Do some more diagnosis before throwing parts at it. With "both wheel wells" with standing water I'm betting on the trunk gasket and tail light gaskets.

Both projects are pretty straight forward. First, remove the trunk gasket, it just lifts off. Clean real well underneath and look for pin holes in the lip. After reinstalling it, take a piece of waxed paper or something similar close the trunk on it in several places and see if you have an area where it pull out real easy which would tell you where the bad seal area may be.

The tail light gaskets can be ordered through BMW and another relatively cheap part (by BMW standards), easy to do and highly likely culprit.
tomstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
ForcedFirebird
R3V OG

In the meantime, drill a little hole in the plugs at the bottoms of the trays to avoid rusting. There's a ~1" plastic plug on each side.
ForcedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
Mpolito3355

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
sunroof drains, trunk seal, antenna grommet, or talight gaskets. When my window C-pillar trim grommets were all dried out, I ended up with water in the back seat.
this ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
Do some more diagnosis before throwing parts at it. With "both wheel wells" with standing water I'm betting on the trunk gasket and tail light gaskets.

Both projects are pretty straight forward. First, remove the trunk gasket, it just lifts off. Clean real well underneath and look for pin holes in the lip. After reinstalling it, take a piece of waxed paper or something similar close the trunk on it in several places and see if you have an area where it pull out real easy which would tell you where the bad seal area may be.

The tail light gaskets can be ordered through BMW and another relatively cheap part (by BMW standards), easy to do and highly likely culprit.
this plus 1 .... could be a various amount off things at once ex: trunk seals bad and taillight seals being bad as well but test for it first

you can use a garden hose when its not raining outside and test one spot and then check see if there water then test another spot and so on

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree..."
Mpolito3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
e30austin
R3V OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
In the meantime, drill a little hole in the plugs at the bottoms of the trays to avoid rusting. There's a ~1" plastic plug on each side.
Actually, there is a factory drain on these cars. Unfortunately, most of the time, it's been covered up, usually by the factory undercoating. It's about a few inches away from the edge of the tray, closest to the rear tires, in the center of the tray. You'll have to dig at it with a pick, but make sure you clear out any blockage, to ensure that all the water will drain out.

(I had no idea these existed, until a couple years ago - needless to say, I felt stupid)

Register your 770/771 code M-Technic cabrio here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I'm not the gey
e30austin is offline   Reply With Quote