Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 steering rack swap

Hi all,
    I noticed my steering rack leeking on my 320i. I have been looking into replacing this with different more responsive racks. One which i have in my possession already is from an e46. This will cost me nothing but it is a standard e46 rack and not the sought after purple tag. I have found a kit which i have put in the link below and im wondering has anyone ever used and if so what the quality was like and how hard to Diy. Any helpful tips appreciated.
    Thanks

BMW E30 3-SERIES TO Z3/E36/E46 STEERING RACK CONVERSION KIT Product Overview Lose that school bus steering feel in your E30. This kit includes everything needed to allows you to install a later model E36 or E46 steering rack into an E30 3-series 1984-1990. This includes the spacers and hardware to shorten the lower

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Robo90 View Post
    Hi all,
    I noticed my steering rack leeking on my 320i. I have been looking into replacing this with different more responsive racks. One which i have in my possession already is from an e46. This will cost me nothing but it is a standard e46 rack and not the sought after purple tag. I have found a kit which i have put in the link below and im wondering has anyone ever used and if so what the quality was like and how hard to Diy. Any helpful tips appreciated.
    Thanks

BMW E30 3-SERIES TO Z3/E36/E46 STEERING RACK CONVERSION KIT Product Overview Lose that school bus steering feel in your E30. This kit includes everything needed to allows you to install a later model E36 or E46 steering rack into an E30 3-series 1984-1990. This includes the spacers and hardware to shorten the lower

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I have the purple tag e46 rack, not sure what you have but best if it's OEM.
    As for the DIY: there's a ton of YouTube vids on it, and countless write-ups on this site. Hardest thing is modifying the knuckle but it's straightforward, yet time consuming.
    Tip: bend the rack tabs down to remove the rack (don't bother removing the subframe), get e46 outer tie rods, and if using PS make sure to properly fill up and bleed. GL
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Working...
    X