Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine doesn't sound 'smooth', is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine doesn't sound 'smooth', is this normal?

Have done a lot of work to the car:

Cooling system
    Timing belt
    Valve cover gasket
    Spark plugs
    Had fuel injectors professionally cleaned

I have had this car since November but I never really drove it, so I'm not sure what 'normal' sounds like.

In the video, it may be hard to hear, but I don't mean the engine tapping sound, I know my valves need adjusted, I moreso mean the uneven whirling sort of sound. It almost sounds like it has an erratic idle, but the engine idles steadily. You can hear it most from the exhaust and under the car.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I appreciate any help.
    Instagram
    Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
    F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
    E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
    E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
    E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

sounds like an exhaust leak. mine sounds the same but mine is broken at the stock flex pipe.
    grab a can of starting fluid and spray around the intake manifold ,injectors, throttle body. if the idle goes up or down you got a vacuum leak, do this after the car is warm or you can do a smoke test.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      sounds like an exhaust leak. mine sounds the same but mine is broken at the stock flex pipe.
      grab a can of starting fluid and spray around the intake manifold ,injectors, throttle body. if the idle goes up or down you got a vacuum leak, do this after the car is warm or you can do a smoke test.
      Thanks for the input. I was thinking it may be an exhaust leak since the idle seems fine. I will check for vacuum leak.
      Instagram
      Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
      F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
      E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
      E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
      E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

The passenger side connection b/t cat and back section of exhaust is fiddly, its where two 'female' flanges meet at the donut. I had to tap mine with a drift/hammer to get a good seal.

Comment

Working...
        X