Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering swivel joint (airbag), where to find?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering swivel joint (airbag), where to find?!

Rack replaced, tie rods replaced, but steering doesn't feel smooth. I suspect the joints and rubber are worn out. Doesn't look like anyone has the part! Any suggestions? Surely someone must have figured out how to upgrade, replace, and repair it?

- A

Bump for a good question. I would like to change mine as well on my airbag car.

Comment

Shocked - nobody has ever replaced that joint? Serviced it? Swapped it with something else?!

Comment

I would just get 32311153993 and go drill out bolt/nut route until able to find actual part, if u joint is still in good condition. W/ red thread locker or double nut for each bolt just to be safe.

Comment

I drilled out the studs on the guibo and just replaced that part. Its kind of a pain since they are really pressed in there and super solid. Took about an hour. IIRC the guibo was like $10.

Comment

There are aftermarket ones available that eliminate the rubber bushing.

Comment

You can also pull the rubber out and just bolt them together.

Comment

Bump because I've had others ask me the same question... what have people actually *done* to replace the part? I'm less worried about the rubber, more so about the joints themselves. I replaced my e46 joint not long ago, the old joint did not move freely at all.

Comment

Unfortunately, it appears that the answer today is “fabricate your own.”
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I run the garagistic delrin flex coupler. I recommend it. https://store.garagistic.com/E30-BMW...SABEgIoUvD_BwE
                    Significantly improved driver feedback.

If the joints are bad then you need new joints! Not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                      If the joints are bad then you need new joints! Not rocket science.
                      Reading isn't rocket science, either:

Originally posted by RandyMac View Post
                      Doesn't look like anyone has the part! Any suggestions?
                      OP, pelican's site says they have it: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/32311156348.htm
                      Do they actually have it? Dunno, but the website says they do. You could probably rebuild it or at least repack it if you have the tools and patience, but it would be a non-trivial task. Unfortunately BMW doesn't seem to believe in serviceable or even re-greasable u-joints.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Just acquired a 1990 325i and looking for this part as well.

I came across this but it explicitly specifies it only works with the non-airbag column. Is there no real way to get something like this to work with the airbag column?

https://www.condorspeedshop.com/prod...=7074383495214

Btw - I checked with pelicanparts and they do not actually have that part available unfortunately :(
                        Last edited by charlie460; 09-25-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I do not know if the airbag car's column is significantly different from the non-airbag car where it attaches to the first joint, but given the fact that neither Vorschlag or Condor mention cross-compatibility with their versions of the product I'd say it might be.

Airbag column:

Non-airbag column with that part installed and the stock joint assembly held up for comparision:

Here's a sikky unit that says it is specifically for airbag equipped cars, it is unsusual that it is not mentioned on sikky's own website though.
                          AKWYR offers unbeatable pricing and the fastest shipping on your favorite aftermarket Performance Parts, Wheels, and More!

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                          X