X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    His balls.
    I thought that was what he might have been saying but it was so stupid and didn't make sense.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
      I thought I got a good deal for mine but after reading about $100 and $200 RM's I'm feeling buyers remorse :(

Is that VVV a legit way to straighten wheels? It seems like that might dent the other side too? How do the "pros" do it?
      ive done many of wheels this way before. Never a problem. I personaly dont like adding heat but theres many ways to skin a cat. and besides, they were only 100bucs.lol i can sell the centers and make up my losses.

Comment

It worth a try I'd think :) I just wish the bend was out of my one wheel so I could roll around on them while I'm deciding what to do.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
        ~ John Adams ~

Comment

My rs001's

Gawd I luv RS'

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospec View Post
            My rs001's
            Gawd I luv RS'
            Any more details on those? Are those the original lips? They're really purty :nice:

~ John Adams ~

Comment

They're 15x7 et25 with original 1" lips.

Comment

Where did you get them from? RS's are getting quite rare on the market.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

those almost look like 1/2" lips, if youre wheels are stamped 15x7 then maybe your barrels are 6.5." sorry if im wrong :)
                  www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

from my buddy's collective BBS info..

as of October 07, these are places where you can get BBS related stuff:

Center caps and such

RTH has the valve caps, they have badges too but not sure if they are the ones you want.

try BFI for the caps.

http://store.blackforestindust....html

or PMS

VW and Audi repair, service, performance parts, tuning & diagnostic mechanics. We are located in Miramar, San Diego & specialize in performance tuning, parts, service for these German vehicles.

places to buy lips:
                    http://www.rkimporting.com/accessories.htm has Schmidt lips for 135 each. bolts for RS and RM's around $190, cone or hex flat caps for $225 see price sheet here

http://www.tunershop.com sells Schmidt lips for 529$ total. that INCLUDES shipping. this is the best price I have found, and it is where I ordered mine from, it took about two weeks or so from the UK and these lips are absolutely GORGEOUS.
                    tunershop also sells ATS cups brand new for about 250$ a pop.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com sells gold bolts for $1.35e. image lips $159e. or about $658 for a set shipped.

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk charges 760$ for four lips shipped.

http://justmatz.co.uk has alloys lips for about 640$ for a set, plus 90$ shipping. they also sell STAINLESS lips for 226$ each, which they say are heavier but are super strong. they also sell centers, bolts, rebuilt wheels and so on. I dont know who makes the lips they sell.

Warning about buying centers. when you buy flatcaps and whatnot, they do NOT come with the metal trim ring. you will have to locate those separately.

Valve Stems:
                    First: BBS valve stems are .300 inches in diameter. Schmidt lips have the correct hole for these. considered the "small sized hole". I believe you can get Image or Kodiak lips with either size hole. .300 or .476(I think)
                    Anyway.
                    I really wanted a set of flushmount valve stems and I shopped all over for them. I tried to order from JCwhitney, but ended up buying a set on ebay. I have to say that the seriously low quality of these things has turned me off to them. the crappy chrome finish on them detracts from the look of the wheel so bad that I would rather have a rusty old stump sticking out than these ugly flushmounts. to make matters worse, they were too large, would require drilling to fit in the rim, and they were so wide that the top would need to be grinded down to fit in the recess of the lip.
                    so I went to the Harley dealership and picked up a set of low profile screw in valve stems. they aren't all that pretty, but they will work. they shouldn't look too bad when I have a nice valve cover over them too.
                    These cost 7$ a piece, but I am sure you could track them down for less money some place else.

Tools:
                    it seems some people have trouble finding an 8mm 12 point socket. Have you tried Sears? that is where I got mine. they have an entire wall display filled with individual sockets of all sorts of sizes, points, and so on. I checked home depot and was able to find them there as well. you could also call up your local snap-on guy and have them deliver one right to your house.
                    there was mention of a fiberglass lined socket wrench that was supposed to be safe on the bolts finish, but they are not made anymore. but if if you take your time and keep your ratchet straight you should not damage your finish.

torque specs
                    BBS RM bolt torque is 12-15 lb/ft
                    BBS RS bolt torque is 144in/lbs /12ft/lbs.

The following pertains to RM012s only. When widening:
                    6.5" = ET 33
                    7" = ET 26.7
                    7.5" = ET 20.3
                    8" = ET 14
                    8.5"= ET 7.6
                    9" = ET 1.3
                    9.5" = ET -5.1
                    10" = ET -11.5

BBS of America, Inc.
                    5320 BBS Drive,
                    Braselton, Georgia 30517
                    USA
                    Tel.: 770.967.9848
                    Fax: 770.967.9866
                    E-Mail: marketing@bbs-usa.com

North American Wide Lip Source:
                    Kodiak Motorsports
                    #1 - 30455 Progressive Way
                    Abbotsford, BC Canada
                    V2T 6W3
                    Tel: 877.856.7311, Pacific time (ask for Daryle or Carol)
                    E-mail: sales@kodiakmotorsports.com
                    Web: http://www.kodiakmotorsports.com

United Kingdom Wide Lip Source:
                    Image Wheels International, Ltd.
                    3 Fountain Lane, Tipton
                    West Midlands
                    DY4 9HA
                    Great Britain
                    Tel: (UK) 0121 522 2442
                    Fax: (UK) 0121 520 9311
                    E-mail: imagewheels@btinternet.com
                    Web: http://www.imagewheels.co.uk

General Pricing:
                    For a 15" diameter 2" lip: $78 USD (Image's price of 66 pounds is about $110 USD each, not including shipping from Europe). Shipping is where the big savings should be with Kodiak. Without shipping charges, (4) 2" lips are $312. On average, the total has been about $359 for (4) 2" lips, and a tube of sealant, shipped.

Lip Size to New Wheel Width:
                    0.5" lip = 6.5" overall (standard BBS RMs)
                    1.5" lip = 7.5" width total
                    2.0" lip = 8.0" width total
                    3.0" lip = 9.0" width total

Preferred Tire Sizes:
                    Optimum/preferred 15" tire size for 8" wide wheel: 195/45-15 (front/rear)
                    Optimum/preferred 15" tire size for 9" wide wheel: 205/40-15 or 215/40-15(rears)
                    You'll have to go overseas for the rears, though in a 9" size. Not available in the US for some reason even though most tire manufacturers sell them, just not here. Pretty much your only option in the U.S. is 195/45-15 or 195/50-15 front and 205/50-15 rear.

Toyo makes the Proxes T1-S in the 215-45 that is readily available in the States.
                    You can get Toyo Proxes T1S in 195/45-15 for about $125 ea. from these two places:
                    Partner with the leading distributor of automotive tires, parts, and lubricants. We carry all the major brands. Get what you need when you need it.

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

195/45-15 Kuhmos (not a great performing tire) have been spotted selling for $50 ea.
                    http://www.tirerack.com carries: Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 for $71 each in 195/45-15

Discount Tire Direct (http://www.tires.com) carries no tire in 195/45-15

Tire Heights:
                    215/45/15 will be 22.6" tall in total
                    205/40/15 will be 21.4" tall in total
                    205/50/15 will be 23.1" tall in total
                    195/45/15 will be 21.9" tall in total
                    195/50/15 will be 22.7" tall in total
                    ~Rogan
                    '85 325e w/M42 swap
                    '02 WRX 2.5L Hybrid w/GT32 @ 20psi - 400+awhp :: SOLD
                    http://www.autismspeaks.org ||| http://www.essentialpieces.org
                    sigpic

Strategic Alpine Command
                    Diving Board Division

Comment

Wheel Lip Manufacturing Process:
                      The parts that we make are made from 6061 aluminum and go through many steps to ensure their strength. Pot holes will only hurt your wheels if you do not have enough air pressure. Even if you had steel wheels they would bend if they came in contact with the ground. Kodiak parts are available in .500" increments from 1 inch to 10 inches wide. The width of the rim shell doest really have any effect on the strength until you get into very high loading vehicles. Kodiak rim shells are spun formed. It makes the part the strongest it can be by forging the sheet into the wheel shape. The rims are made from 6061-T6 aluminum and are .190" thick. They are machined on a vertical CNC and then polished to a mirror finish. Kodiak has made a variety of different profiles in the past but they now do almost everything using the J (ISO) contour. This contour is the most common and makes it easy for tire mounters.

Valve Hole Size:
                      Kodiak drilled some lips with the standard wheel size then thought it might be better to leave the hole the same size as stock BBS. If you want to go to a standard size just run a drill bit through the hole. It is easy and anyone can do it. The standard size for a valve hole is .431" so a 7/16" drill bit (.437") will work just fine.

Bolt Pattern & Bolts:
                      Both the BBS RSs and the RMs have 30 bolts per wheel, and they are the same bolt pattern. 17s should have 35 bolt holes. Torque bolts in a crossing star pattern, just like you would do with lug bolts.

BBS RM bolt torque is 12-15 lb/ft
                      BBS RS bolt torque is 12 lb/ft
                      NOTE: Some individuals have suggested that 18 lb/ft is a more reasonable torque setting when re-using old bolts on BBS 3-piece wheels. Use these numbers at YOUR OWN RISK.

Disassembly and Assembly information:
                      Taking apart your wheels is a piece of cake. It only requires common sense and a little patience. Kodiak suggests to it's racing customers that they take apart and inspect there wheels every year. [This is probably not needed on a street tire.] We have yet to have anyone that hasn't been able to do it on their own. It is important to make sure that the parts are clean when they are reassembled.

Use a 12pt 8mm socket on the bolts and heat the lips up with a heat gun for 5-10 minutes before going at them with a rubber mallet. It should take no longer than 2 hours to have them all apart.

Use a decent 3/8 drive torque wrench and use a crossover method for tighening. After you torque the wheels put a bead of silicone adheasive over the seal on smooth it out. If you are really worried about leaking just put a very thin coat on one day and follow it up with a second coat 24 hours later.

Sealing Wheel Shells:
                      1. Clean the mating surfaces with laquer thinner and let dry.
                      2. Bolt the two shells together "DRY" and torque to spec.
                      3. Lay thin bead of silicone in the crack between the mating surfaces and smooth. Let it dry overnight.
                      4. Re-apply a bead over the first and smooth out to about a 1.0" bead width and smooth.

If you follow this procedure your wheels will never leak. The reason you don't want silicone between the halves is because all silicone shrinks as it cures. As is shrinks the pressure between the shells changes and your torque changes. BBS use a different system. I wouldnt worry about how the silicone looks. Once you put a tire on you cant see it anyway. The last thing to want is to be driving down the road and get a flat because you didnt use enough sealant. Kodiak suggests to all of their customers that they recheck the torque after you run the wheels for the first time. Just make a few turns each way and quickly recheck (just check don't tighten more).

One recommended product for sealing wheel halves is called Toyota Seal 10* (can't remember the last number) also known as FIPG or as it sounds "Fipige." It is only available at the dealer, 3 oz. cost near 15 dollars, no silicone in it, I believe, but it will seal almost unsealable things. Generally, and good quality RTV silicone sealant will work perfectly, though. Dow Corning 832 Multi Surface Adhesive Sealant was also recommended. Kinesis Motorsports also recommends a sealant called, Shin-Etsu Silicone (1 Component RTV). This is available from Kinesis Motorsports directly.

Other Important Multi-piece BBS Information:
                      BBS wheel assembly information:

Euro source for BBS parts (tapered and flush centercaps, gold and chrome bolts, etc.):

The chrome BBS cap inserts are 70 mm cap inserts from either the LM, RK or RKII. From the Wheel & Tire Forum, Eric @ tirerack.com posted all the various BBS center cap combos.
                      BBS Center Cap Thread

On new bolts from BBS:
                      quoted $50 a wheel from BBS of America, to re-assemble the wheel with new titanium fasteners. They will NOT sell you bolts directly for liability reasons, but they will do them up for you themselves for a fee. This also includes new seals between the rim halves, too. It is unknown if they will assemble wheel pieces that they did not manufacture.

Flushfit valve stems:
                      Driven by passion, Demon Tweeks offers the most complete and innovative motorsport, car tuning & product range available worldwide. Browse our range today and enjoy express worldwide shipping.

Titanium, stainless and steel bolts for 2-3pc wheels:
                      Pertsch & Partner rund um´s Rad, die zur Montage von ein- und mehrteiligen Leichtmetall-Felgen (Alu-Felgen) benötigt werden, wie z.B. FELGENSCHRAUBEN aus Titan, Sonderedelstahl, Edelstahl, Stahl verchromt und vergoldet, ZIERSCHRAUBEN aus Titan und Edelstahl, MUTERN aus Edelstahl und Stahl, FELGENRINGE aus Aluminium und Edelstahl, FELGENSCHLÖSSER aus Titan, RADSCHRAUBEN aus Titan, Edelstahl und Stahl. Alle Titan- und Sonderedelstahl- Schrauben sind absolut korrosionsresistent (rostfrei) und besitzen die höchste Festigkeit.
                      Last edited by Rogan; 09-07-2008, 06:04 AM.
                      ~Rogan
                      '85 325e w/M42 swap
                      '02 WRX 2.5L Hybrid w/GT32 @ 20psi - 400+awhp :: SOLD
                      http://www.autismspeaks.org ||| http://www.essentialpieces.org
                      sigpic

Strategic Alpine Command
                      Diving Board Division

Comment

good info right there. Do you happen to know what size lip i would be able to fit with a 195/45/15 tire and without rolling the fenders? i will roll the fenders if i have to though, just trying to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                          Where did you get them from? RS's are getting quite rare on the market.
                          Rare indeed. I was on the hunt for a few months before I came across a nice, original set locally.

Originally posted by lowlightbw View Post
                          those almost look like 1/2" lips, if youre wheels are stamped 15x7 then maybe your barrels are 6.5." sorry if im wrong :)
                          Not sure how wide the barrel is, but I do know the 001 lips are 1". The inverted lips you see on many RM wheels are 1/2".

Here's a better angle, (don't mind my sig-- that's a 1/2" RM lip which has since been swapped with a correct 1" lip).

Comment

I don't have a set, but this would be alittle more info added to the thread.
                            • Model: RS 002
                            • Height/Width/Offset: 15x8 et12
                            • Purchased from: Junk yard
                            • Price: $35.00
                            • Prodution Date: 03/84
                            • Made in West Germany
                            It's alittle ruff.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                              I don't have a set, but this would be alittle more info added to the thread.
                              • Model: RS 002
                              • Height/Width/Offset: 15x8 et12
                              • Purchased from: Junk yard
                              • Price: $35.00
                              • Prodution Date: 03/84
                              • Made in West Germany

It's alittle ruff.
                              You got that wheel from a junkyard!? So what was it just lying on the ground all alone or what? Now you only need 3 more! ;)

~ John Adams ~

Comment

Guys this is great info!! Absolutely appreciate this thread. This is sticky worthy!!

Dave

edit: Any visual differences between image lips and schmidt lips? What makes the schmidt lips better, quality?
                                Last edited by bimma360; 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM.
                                E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X