No announcement yet.

UUC - Big Brake Kit - Direct Fit caliper, 11.75" rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition calipers are anodized or plated to better evacuate heat. Performance Friction calipers are anodized, Brembo GTR calipers are anodized or plated (the regular GT are street application and of garden variety). Alcon Mono6 are anodized. And wether it is oil paint or plastic powder coat, it still is a thick crust over aluminum, and it still traps heat. Not to mention it will discolore if reaching high temps. We all know what happens to the Brembos on Mitsubishi Evos and Subis at track days... They turn to a muddy brown color.

From Alcon's website
    "As for performance, Alcon has also addressed the important aspect of aesthetics with the Mono6. The hard anodised caliper body may be left in its normal ..."

Brembo website
    "The finish on the GT-R calipers is nickel plating to avoid corrosion."

According to Bimmerworld
    "The 4-piston Z31 caliper used in the front on this E46 kit is a Monobloc design... Calipers are finished with a black anodized surface."

Indeed every detail counts in a caliper. Surely, finish counts, but also the number of piston sizes/configurations available. How the pads are retained in the caliper. Pad compound thickness (8.5mm vs 16mm for a 7420 - Superlite clamper). Pad area. Which company is the manufacturer. Data in claims when it comes to stiffness. And especially to what type of duty the kit is designed for.

Nonetheless, beyond blanket statements extensively using the word "better" as a comparative mean, it would be proper to add to what it is compared, otherwise it could be misleading. Sometimes, the word "improved" is more adequate, as it most likely refers to a previous version of the same kit. ;-)
    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Didn't we go through this a year ago? A bunch of off-base and information-free claims against our products? My friend, I'll answer any and all legitimate questions about our products, but you're really slinging mud without any basis.

And dumping all over a new product release? We must really be making an awesome product by your reaction! Thanks for the attention!

Lee, you're really gasping at straws here. Are you actually trying to make the argument that a caliper has some inherent deficiency if powdercoated?

Really?

Considering the fact that we're a direct distributor for PFC and Alcon (and we have custom calipers made to our specifications, with input from their factory engineers), I think we're a bit more connected with brake component development and manufacturing.

The fact that our own caliper was designed with employed engineering talent actually from two of the biggest race brake caliper manufacturers is also something you should be aware of.

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
      Competition calipers are anodized or plated to better evacuate heat.
      No, they're primarily anodized or plated for corrosion resistance. Bare aluminum oxidizes, becoming dusty white. There's also the cosmetic component, of course, and the fact that it's cheaper than powdercoating. Not better - cheaper.

Performance Friction calipers are anodized, Brembo GTR calipers are anodized or plated (the regular GT are street application and of garden variety). Alcon Mono6 are anodized.
      I can't say much about the Brembo calipers, I don't have their engineers on my cellphone speed dial as I do with PFC, Alcon, and Wilwood.

So I'll say what I can about those brands.

Performance Friction (PFC) calipers designed for race use, powdercoated by PFC:

And here's another one (mounted on a pro race car) powdercoated by PFC in black:

Alcon Mono6 calipers designed for race use, powdercoated by Alcon:

Alcon 4-piston calipers designed for race use, powdercoated by Alcon:

We put a lot of these JP, IP, GTS3, and MOD racecars.

And wether it is oil paint or plastic powder coat, it still is a thick crust over aluminum, and it still traps heat. Not to mention it will discolore if reaching high temps.
      "Crust"? Try a .5mm - 1.2mm thick layer. Far from "crusty".

Back to the idea of you splitting hairs here, we're talking about data that one could generate if one really tried to show an insulative characteristic of powdercoat... but I defy you to show any actual difference in real-world use, street or competition, regarding a thermal influence of powdercoat.

We all know what happens to the Brembos on Mitsubishi Evos and Subis at track days... They turn to a muddy brown color.
      Yes, because they're not using powdercoat like serious race calipers. Those are their cheapie calipers, about $125 replacement cost at the dealer. There's a strong reason to suspect those calipers are actually using a very good paint, not powdercoat. I can't guarantee that, but other engineers have mentioned that to me.

Regardless, we've got enough years of experience with our own powdercoating, that of PFC and Alcon, to see that the color doesn't change.

But if you're comparing it to an anodized black caliper... I hope you warn your customers not to use any strong wheel cleaners that strip off andodizing. That never happens with powdercoat.

From Alcon's website
      "As for performance, Alcon has also addressed the important aspect of aesthetics with the Mono6. The hard anodised caliper body may be left in its normal ..."

... state or powdercoated? Where's the rest of that quote?

The website states one of the finish options... it's not the only option.

Or were you trying to confuse the issue with that half-quote?

Brembo website
      "The finish on the GT-R calipers is nickel plating to avoid corrosion."
      Yep, that's another coating... as Brembo says, to avoid corrosion. Nothing about thermal insulation.

According to Bimmerworld
      "The 4-piston Z31 caliper used in the front on this E46 kit is a Monobloc design... Calipers are finished with a black anodized surface."
      Yep, it's an option. Same PFC kits they sell are also powdercoated.

Indeed every detail counts in a caliper. Surely, finish counts, but also the number of piston sizes/configurations available. How the pads are retained in the caliper. Pad compound thickness (8.5mm vs 16mm for a 7420 - Superlite clamper). Pad area. Which company is the manufacturer. Data in claims when it comes to stiffness. And especially to what type of duty the kit is designed for.
      Absolutely.

Let's review our new offering:

Finish: durable powdercoat that is chip-resistant, won't discolor, and has no legitimate effect on thermal insulation.

Piston count: Well, if you're a BMW CCA racer - you're rules-limited to 4 pistons. As any brake designer knows, once you've got a fixed caliper, more pistons does not help. Brake torque (and more accurately - correct brake torque, not the ridiculous 1.62" or 1.75" pistons use in absurdly front-biased kits) is about correct piston choice. Ideally, staggered pistons (such as the UUC caliper has) are better to equalize pad wear, minimizing taper.

Pad retaining system: structural bridge bolt, augmented by stainless steel anti-rattle clips.

Pad thickness: .480" / 12.19mm chosen to minimize caliper body thickness to maximize wheel clearance. More frequent pad changes are offset by costing approximately 50% of thicker pads. Racers using thicker pads typically change pads at less than full wear as heat cycling of the pads decreases their effectiveness long before they are physically worn down.

Pad shape: The 7212 pad is a standardized race pad, available from many pad manufacturers with many retail outlets.

Caliper manfacturer: UUC, Alpharetta GA.

Durability and intended use: stainless steel pistons, high-temp internal seals and 2-piece rotor proven in race use for many years. How can a brand-new product have many years of testing on these parts? Simple; these subcomponents are genuine Wilwood (seals) or original manufacturer (pistons) with a proven race history. The rotors and hats themselves are the same units we've been using with our previous Wilwood-based kits for years, again with a proven race history. The caliper body itself has been CAD-designed and FEA-analyzed to exceed the strength characteristics of the higher-end DyaPro caliper and Forged Superlite caliper.

This product is an evolution of the most durable proven parts and an all-new body design built to exceed previous offerings.

- Rob Levinson
      UUC
      - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
      Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

First ever LED headlight conversion - [ CLICK HERE ]

Comment

I didn't read anything in this thread but support our USA vendors!!
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
          I didn't read anything in this thread but support our USA vendors!!
          Thanks very much!

Every single component of the UUC brake kit is proudly Made In USA.

- Rob
          - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
          Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

Comment

Just curious if you have a fitment template that backs up the claim that this caliper gives more wheel clearance than others on the market.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              Just curious if you have a fitment template that backs up the claim that this caliper gives more wheel clearance than others on the market.
              Definitely! We already have those for our other Wilwood kits, drawing this one up next.

Keep in mind that wheel inner clearance, especially when the wheel size is so close to the caliper radius diameter, is not just the typical "does it hit the spokes" question... when they're this close, the reinforcing rib in the barrel of the wheel can often be a contact point. Both areas are what we have addressed with this caliper.

Comment

as an unbiased potential consumer, im very impressed with this offering. i was set on the street-kit with the wilwoods and corrado rotor, but if these fit 15x8 TRM wheels, sound like i would be stupid not to spend a little more for these.

competition is good for the consumer, maybe not for the vendors but that is the reality of the game.
                90 E30 325i

Comment

Gorgeous.

I still want "Zucchini Brakes".

Rob, as one of the few manufacturers who offer NEW products for the E30, thank you.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

hey rob, im not at the point where i need big brakes yet, but when i get my swap i'll definitely be looking into your product. and you handled the intense grilling really well! both peerless and eurodyne killed their chances of ever selling here by being hot heads, and its nice to see someone factually answer a million questions from a huge competitor.
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

In before vogtland vs groundcontrol camberplates
                      [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                      Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

... I like how Lee disappeared after your last response...

Turbo M20, MSnS, 38lb, 3" no cat, RPI 12.2", ATS DTC, 240whp/240wtq, Lmnop. www.DonsGarage.net

Comment

Originally posted by Rolla1990 View Post
                          A little uncalled for, IMO

however I think they are both great products, and knowing ill never be able to afford them still makes me want them. I hope they both one up eachother by the time I gather funds :D
                          [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Originally posted by Rolla1990 View Post
                            Lee has a tons of technical comments he will not share publicly. But if Rolla1990 has any technical insight he wishes to share, then put them on your post.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Lee has a tons of technical comments he will not share publicly. But if Rolla1990 has any technical insight he wishes to share, then put them on your post.
                              Was this referred to me?

I think he was being uncalled for
                              [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                                Was this referred to me?

I think he was being uncalled for
                                Don't worry buddy. You had the right reaction. I suggest that other dude (BornIn1990) gets some manners.

massivebrakes.com

Comment

Working...
                                X