IX ECU question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX ECU question

I have a 90 auto IX with a 351 ECU. Engine light is on for O2 relay. I traced the issue to the ECU #23 pin. Is a 153 ECU from a 325ic manual compatible?

the ix ecu has a feature that actuates the icv in certain instances to keep the wheels from sliding when you are on ice and the throttle is closed(or something like that)

if i were you, i would use an ix ecu.

also, go somewhere and get a smoke test on your intake system. more than likely you have an intake leak. perhaps the gasket between the intake manifold and the head.

it is unlikely the culprit is actually the engine module for that issue.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Its not the intake. Its the ECU because I am not getting a signal from the wire. It seems like One of the previous owners disregarded changing the O2 sensor when light came on. It burnt out the wire,relay and the pin to ECU. I had a known BMW E30 mechanic check it out and I had my father double check it. For now I spliced in another wire.

When I bought car it was the only issue. I thought i would just have to swap in a new O2 sensor. I bought a used complete harness to swap over.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      the ix ecu has a feature that actuates the icv in certain instances to keep the wheels from sliding when you are on ice and the throttle is closed(or something like that)

if i were you, i would use an ix ecu.

also, go somewhere and get a smoke test on your intake system. more than likely you have an intake leak. perhaps the gasket between the intake manifold and the head.

it is unlikely the culprit is actually the engine module for that issue.

Comment

just found this on another forum. it seems i have a few options. Does anyone know if the 524 has more updates than the 173?

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 173
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 351
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 380
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 382
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 524
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 525
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

325i/is/iX
        E30
        M20/B25 (170hp)
        87-91
        0 261 200 526
        Bosch Motronic M1.3

Comment

The ix ecu is not unique. There is in fact no such thing as an "ix" ecu - all motronic m20b25 computers have the circuitry for opening the ICV based on ABS input.

All motronic 153 ecus have the same code, they came in many models including the ix. A 325ic dme will work fine. Although, i would recommend finding a 173 or later computer. There were actually some issues with the 153 in earlier ix's causing ABS faults.

the DMEs all basically have the same tune. the later ones (524, 525, and 526) have a speed governor set at 125mph.
          Last edited by nando; 08-26-2014, 06:16 AM.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the later ones (524, 525, and 526) have a speed governor set at 125mph.
            This is true.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              This is true.

t
              Yeah, but where can you drive around here with this kind of speed?

Comment

125+ is quite easy on a racetrack
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

IX will be a daily driver so I will not be driving 125 mph. Also can upgradable chips remove the governor anyway?
                  Last edited by GT BMW E30; 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    The ix ecu is not unique. There is in fact no such thing as an "ix" ecu - all motronic m20b25 computers have the circuitry for opening the ICV based on ABS input.

All motronic 153 ecus have the same code, they came in many models including the ix. A 325ic dme will work fine. Although, i would recommend finding a 173 or later computer. There were actually some issues with the 153 in earlier ix's causing ABS faults.

the DMEs all basically have the same tune. the later ones (524, 525, and 526) have a speed governor set at 125mph.
                    really? ive had the cover of several e30 ecu's. the ix units have two circuit boards sandwiched on top of each other. any standard i brain box has only one. i can't say what that means since i'm no computer guru, but i'm pretty sure there ought to be some difference since they came with different units and different part numbers
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

really? ive had the cover of several e30 ecu's. the ix units have two circuit boards sandwiched on top of each other. any standard i brain box has only one. i can't say what that means since i'm no computer guru, but i'm pretty sure there ought to be some difference since they came with different units and different part numbers
                      153 dme's have two boards, while 173 and newer dme's have one board.

Comment

those are early 1.1 DMEs. they're still compatible with the ix - FYI my parts car came with a dual layer Motronic 153. :)

operationally they're the same, although much more prone to faults since they are so much more complex.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Also can upgradable chips remove the governor anyway?
                          Didn't on my 524.

About 50 yards from turn- in at T1 at Pacific, thing just died.
                          I'd have to scrub off maybe 5 mph to get it to come back.
                          Then it'd come back.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

UPDATE: I replaced 153 with a 524. Big difference in idle and trans shifts. Very happy.

My check engine light is still on for O2 sensor circuit and O2 sensor heater relay.
                            I have checked the relay (good), brand new O2 sensor and circuit for signals (brn/grn wire to ecu no signal). I spliced my harness brn/grn wire with new wire. Light came on. Then I replaced the ecu. Light came back on. I have a spare obdII wire harness that I am going to install. I read the obdII harness is confined so I hope this resolves the issue

Comment

Can someone explain to me why I replaced my 153 with a 524 and it has a code for a vehicle speed sensor signal? I mean I would think that DME uses the signal but my harness does not supply it to the DME. So is it really compatible? 1987 325i.

Comment

Working...
                              X