No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't really go wrong with either option - up to you.

1991 325i
    flickr
    @sambhaskins

Comment

Originally posted by sam_ View Post
      You can't really go wrong with either option - up to you.
      Appreciate your thoughts, Sam. I suppose I will wait a bit and do some thinking. To get me on the road, my heart is saying to go the simple Springs/Struts route so I can take care of the rest of the car at the same time as the suspension as opposed to waiting until winter when I'd be able to do the GCs along with the rest of the engine/suspension/body refresh.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Your first part is why I find myself pondering which route to go. With every set of coilovers I've owned, I adjust them once when the car gets set up and don't touch them after that. So my question is almost developing into this: "those with IE3s and Konis do you wish you had GCs for handling reasons?"

Reason for the no BCs: I've always steered clear of BCs (pun intended). I don't trust the long term integrity of the product, and I also don't trust the valving for some reason. They were really shotty in the Evo community and have always been the "get low cheap" coil. So if I were to get coilovers, it would purely be for the handling benefit, rather than the adjustable ride height benefit, if that makes sense.
        I hear you and see where you are coming from. My experience has been to the contrary, however, as I've had BCs on my E30 for about 6 years and maybe 10k miles now and I haven't had any longevity issues. But I very much understand your concern.

Are you planning on tracking it? If not, I don't see you driving beyond the capabilities of IE3s/Konis on the street.

Let us know what you decide!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
          I hear you and see where you are coming from. My experience has been to the contrary, however, as I've had BCs on my E30 for about 6 years and maybe 10k miles now and I haven't had any longevity issues. But I very much understand your concern.

Are you planning on tracking it? If not, I don't see you driving beyond the capabilities of IE3s/Konis on the street.

Let us know what you decide!
          It's funny you say that, I have quite a few friends in the Subaru community, all who run BCs without any issue. This tells me that they must be getting their act together!

I will only be doing a few local AutoX events, but will not be doing any track days!

I absolutely will! At least I know it will be a well thought out decision, after all.

Comment

If everything works out, next Friday I will have a FUN update.

Comment

What have I done?!

Last edited by AWDBOB; 08-13-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Since sometimes in life cool things happen, I was able to snag this car from one hell of a guy named Omar in Illinois last night. In an effort to save money and achieve/maintain a certain level of quality throughout this project, this purchase was clutch.

Why I bought it:

Ground Control Coilover Setup
                Eibach F+R Swaybars
                F+R Strut Tower Braces
                S3.73 Diff
                Mtech Wheel

It's a gutted 2200lb ex-SCCA car that was brought back up to spec and then sold.... and then sold to me.

So, I'm going to take all of these fine parts and transfer 'em over to Linda, while doing the front suspension (control arms, offset CABs, tie rods) and the rear suspension (adjustable subframe, all bushings, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  Since sometimes in life cool things happen, I was able to snag this car from one hell of a guy named Omar in Illinois last night. In an effort to save money and achieve/maintain a certain level of quality throughout this project, this purchase was clutch.

Why I bought it:

Ground Control Coilover Setup
                  Eibach F+R Swaybars
                  F+R Strut Tower Braces
                  S3.73 Diff
                  Mtech Wheel

It's a gutted 2200lb ex-SCCA car that was brought back up to spec and then sold.... and then sold to me.

So, I'm going to take all of these fine parts and transfer 'em over to Linda, while doing the front suspension (control arms, offset CABs, tie rods) and the rear suspension (adjustable subframe, all bushings, etc).
                  Part out the rest?
                  1987 325i Convertible
                  2015 Fiesta SFE: 1.0L of 'Woah, is that torque under 2k?'

Comment

This is looking like some good stuff going down here.

I feel exactly the same as you RE: BC/alibaba coils.

I don't like the H&R Race/IE3 stuff because the front spring rates are weak for the 6cyl cars. They were made for a 4banger after all
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by validius View Post
                      Part out the rest?
                      I'm going to part out what I don't use, yes, but I am probably keep it as a rolling chassis to eventually use for a racecar. It's the perfect trashy race chassis to use for a lemons build or just a track rat.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      This is looking like some good stuff going down here.

I feel exactly the same as you RE: BC/alibaba coils.

I don't like the H&R Race/IE3 stuff because the front spring rates are weak for the 6cyl cars. They were made for a 4banger after all
                      Thanks man! And that's what it came down to for me. I couldn't justify the $1500+ for a proper GC setup, but at the same time, I didn't think that springs and struts were a good alternative either, especially with spring travel, rate, and ride height all considered. Thankfully this opportunity presented itself!

Your car is looking great as well!

Comment

Good work, hopefully it was cheaper way buying another car for the parts, Good way to get into coilovers and sway bars..

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
                          Good work, hopefully it was cheaper way buying another car for the parts, Good way to get into coilovers and sway bars..
                          Thanks man. Lets put it this way- buying the car as a whole was half the price of ordering just the coilovers alone.

Comment

Sub'd for more progress.
                            Cool build.
                            1990 Alpine 325is
                            1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                              Sub'd for more progress.
                              Cool build.
                              Thanks, man. Going for clean, simple, and functional!

Comment

We're picking up some steam here, folks! My main hurdle now that I'm establishing a plan with this car is my garage space. I rent from a cool guy, but he doesn't understand that he can't fill every gap around my car with his shit, so when I go to the garage to do work, I spend more time organizing his junk than working on the ole gal.

anyway, I digress...

Progress! Started disassembling what I want off of the parts car before I give the shell away.

I snagged the Mtech 1 wheel off the car. It's a little dirty but will clean up nice and work just fine until a 370mm is in my budget.

Classic "hey man I'm just gonna fill up the space around your car without any thought whatsoever" moment.

Scored almost brand new Hawk HPS pads, fresh rotors, and stainless front brake lines off the parts car!

Front strut tower brace that I'm going to refinish in the upcoming weeks.

Rear strut tower brace that I am debating on running or not.

The shell. I am really debating on what to do with it. It's not terribly rusty, it just looks like a piece of shit. But someone has but a lot of time into gutting it and removing weight. It would make the PERFECT Lemons racecar with an M20. I have the parts to make it a roller again. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Eibach front sway in good shape. Gonna grab new bushings for it.

Aaaaand this brings me to the sad part. While all of the expensive parts of the Ground Control kit are here, it irks me to see that the POPO just slapped adapters on this way. BUT that wasn't even the worst part. The front struts are blown to smithereens, but the Springs, adjusters, and camber plates are freshie fresh.

I am sending the setup to Ground Control to have their full shortening/bracing/etc done here in a little bit so I'll have a fresh setup with the shortened housings.

As opposed to the ridiculous $240ea price tag of the GC Konis, I am thinking of going with the iX inserts, but I'm not sure they'll work with the struts that I send them. $220/pair vs $240ea is a HUGE difference for the same valving, and you're then also not using a proprietary strut. I'm also not opposed to sending them elsewhere, but don't have a good second option.

List of stuff to do:

1) Place a huge order with Guten to get everything to refresh the M20, iS lip, roundels, entire suspension refresh, etc.
                                2) Send off Ground Controls to get them redone.
                                3) Decide on where to send the subframe for modification, as it pains me to pay $350 for the Garagistic setup however nice it may be.
                                4) Get shit done.

I can't wait to get this chassis driving buttery smooth with everything taken care of so I can enjoy the car. It's getting exciting!
                                Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-03-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X